Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 29   Go Down

Author Topic: Beginners Showcase!  (Read 174166 times)

Graham Wood

• Regular debater
  • Old Fumble Fingers
Re: Beginners Showcase!
« Reply #440 on: February 02, 2020, 01:04:05 PM »

Well I've been playing 4 weeks now and struggling a bit. Still have to think of every note and there is no flow to the tune, more hunt and peck, but I guess that more time will bring improvement. This tune definitely hasn't evolved yet.

The Marino Waltz on a B/C box in the key of G. All done by ear because I just listened to The Dubliners playing on Youtube and tried to copy it. I tend to get a cerebral meltdown when sat in front of a video camera for some bizarre reason..... :-[

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jm8RN9waHcQ
« Last Edit: February 02, 2020, 01:07:50 PM by Graham Wood »
Graham Wood - Third Planet from The Sun
Hohner Morgane B/C,   Junior Martin 1 Row in 'D' with knobs on top,   Acadian 1 Row in 'C' with more knobs on top.

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #441 on: February 02, 2020, 01:37:07 PM »

Playing looks fine to me for the length of time you've been at it. Struggling is surely a good thing - it is so much more rewarding than pressing 'play'. And I've said many times that I can't play from memory, so well done with that.
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #442 on: February 02, 2020, 04:32:29 PM »

... I tend to get a cerebral meltdown when sat in front of a video camera for some bizarre reason..... :-[

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jm8RN9waHcQ

Not bizarre. Absolutely normal. Very few people claim to not suffer from this to some extent.
Well played.
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
« Reply #443 on: February 03, 2020, 01:32:52 AM »

Still have to think of every note and there is no flow to the tune, more hunt and peck, but I guess that more time will bring improvement.

It will Graham, it will. In the meantime, here's a wee hint that may help: I would use the outer row push B pretty well throughout the tune. For instance, playing the Bs in bars 1 and 2 on the outer row will bring the B right next to your F#, and close to the E, and give you a nice longish phrase all on the push.

About the only place where it would make better sense to use the pull B on the inner row would be in bar 7 of the first part.

I say this without regard to the basses, since you aren't using them... if you were, you might have to do a bit more swapping between G pull and push, I suppose.

Graham Wood

• Regular debater
  • Old Fumble Fingers
« Reply #444 on: February 03, 2020, 06:45:04 PM »

Thank you all. And especially the tip about playing the B's on the push. It certainly does make the start flow a lot better, just need to grab a bit more air at the beginning of the sequence. I keep forgetting about the same notes that can be played on the push and pull. When I work the tune out I just find the note that fits without thinking about the playing position. I will certainly give it a lot more thought now.

I didn't try basses because I couldn't get a Bm. The D's on treble and bass are pull only whilst F# is push only. B is alright...lol. I might think about getting one of my push C's on the bass side turned into a D. But that is for later on unless it becomes a real pain. Thanks Stiamh.
Graham Wood - Third Planet from The Sun
Hohner Morgane B/C,   Junior Martin 1 Row in 'D' with knobs on top,   Acadian 1 Row in 'C' with more knobs on top.

Dennis Steckley

• Good talker
  • Club System!
« Reply #445 on: March 28, 2020, 01:51:14 AM »

I have a general question--why are there so many tunes people are recording that are in minor keys?  Is it just personal preference or is there simply a plethora of music in minor keys?  I know that a minor key is not necessarily sad, but so many of the tunes I'm hearing that are posted on you tube by folks here are downright mournful, even moaning in tone.
Dennis Steckley
Hohner Victoria Club ii, Hohner Club III M, Hohner Liliput, Hohner Preciosa, Hohner Piccoletta, Hohner Overture LMMM (and three PA's, including one that is the same size as a Preciosa)

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #446 on: March 28, 2020, 07:38:45 AM »

I have a general question--why are there so many tunes people are recording that are in minor keys?  Is it just personal preference or is there simply a plethora of music in minor keys?  I know that a minor key is not necessarily sad, but so many of the tunes I'm hearing that are posted on you tube by folks here are downright mournful, even moaning in tone.
Dennis Steckley
One of the drivers for minor key tunes in England is the upsurge in border morris which uses a plethora of such tunes.

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
« Reply #447 on: March 28, 2020, 08:43:08 AM »

"downright mournful, even moaning in tone."

Perhaps that's why? Not every melodeon player is "into" Morris etc., and some of us actually like mournful (or even moaning) tunes.
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #448 on: March 28, 2020, 11:38:08 AM »

"downright mournful, even moaning in tone."

Perhaps that's why? Not every melodeon player is "into" Morris etc., and some of us actually like mournful (or even moaning) tunes.

A lot of border morris tunes are in minor keys. Same with Breton tunes. Not moaning to my ear.
I'm assuming "moaning tunes" are airs, laments, etc.. I rather like them. 
They can be in major keys, as well as minor
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Dick Rees

• Neo-Luddite
« Reply #449 on: March 28, 2020, 02:30:31 PM »

Dennis Steckley

Minor key tunes are sexy.
"You're making the wrong mistakes."
...Thelonius Monk

"I never made one of my discoveries through the process of rational thinking."
...Albert Einstein

Cogito ergo bibo.
...Bacchus

xgx

• Bagpipes & Musette Boxes... and Banjos, luv 'em!
« Reply #450 on: March 28, 2020, 03:05:56 PM »

(...) I know that a minor key is not necessarily sad, but so many of the tunes (...) I'm hearing that are posted on you tube by folks here are downright mournful, even moaning in tone.

Glad it's not just me :)

There are some miserable minor sounds out there but each to his own,  it's not just folks on here they're everywhere :) 
Graham

N Cambs/S Lincs - UK   :|glug + :|glug:|||: = :|bl

malcolmbebb

• In dampest Dorset, on the soggy south coast.
« Reply #451 on: March 28, 2020, 08:10:22 PM »

Dennis Steckley
Perhaps one might consider a theme of the month, then - "cheerful tunes in a minor key"? Or maybe keep it for next February?  >:E >:E
Dino BPII.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire."

Nic Pennsylvania

• Lombardi A/D & B/E
  • Northern Appalachia Accordion
« Reply #452 on: June 19, 2020, 04:06:59 AM »

This is my third week with the AD box. I've been working out a few melodies on my own, just playing around with it, but I've been trying to focus on Winster Gallop. Though I can play the B section, it is not quite so far along as the A section. My goal is to competently play through the whole of the song several times through by the end of next week, becoming more fluid along the way.

Watching and hearing how I am getting along, I would appreciate any advice, especially when it comes to form.

Thank you all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7y08F3aZrqY
Northern Appalachia Accordion

Peadar

« Reply #453 on: June 19, 2020, 09:00:37 AM »

This is my third week with the AD box. I've been working out a few melodies on my own, just playing around with it, but I've been trying to focus on Winster Gallop. Though I can play the B section, it is not quite so far along as the A section. My goal is to competently play through the whole of the song several times through by the end of next week, becoming more fluid along the way.

Watching and hearing how I am getting along, I would appreciate any advice, especially when it comes to form.

Thank you all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7y08F3aZrqY
That sounds and looks pretty good to me - Steady pace and your use of the basses as beat keepers is way ahead of mine. I wouldn't worry too much about smoothness because (unless there are lyrics I have never heard of) Winster Gallop is an English dance tune and a regular but punchy rythm is mandated by the English rant step.
Why should the devil have all the best instruments???

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #454 on: June 19, 2020, 09:10:40 AM »

Sounds like you're coming to grips with things. Maybe a bit more punch and a bit less smooth.
Greg Smith

Helena Handcart

• Nine-box Nellie
« Reply #455 on: June 19, 2020, 11:46:42 AM »

That is amazing progress for two weeks.  Since you're asking, I have two pieces of advice.  Your playing style is very smooth, can you try playing really short, crisp notes, nice and staccato? You'll find the music has more punch which in turn will make your music more danceable.  Try lifting your fingers off the buttons between each note even when two notes are on the same button - this is a good skill to develop early on.

Playing staccato and legato are both valid ways to play as is the leaving finger on vs taking it off approach - but since the staccato/finger lifting stuff is often the harder skill to master it's worth tackling early.  Pretend those buttons are red hot and you don't want to touch them.

The second thing I would say is try not take such a big breath of air in the bellows at the start, again bellows control is a tricky skill to master but is (IMHO) best tackled early too. Try opening your bellows just about a third of the way - Winster Gallop is a pretty well balanced tune in terms of push/pull so you should be just fine.

Great work for just two weeks in BTW. Welcome to Melnet.

Sideways typing on the wooden handbag (now with added electric typewriter).

Green Man Sword | Helena Handcart on Soundcloud| Squeezebox from Scratch |

Nic Pennsylvania

• Lombardi A/D & B/E
  • Northern Appalachia Accordion
« Reply #456 on: June 19, 2020, 01:14:53 PM »

Pretend those buttons are red hot and you don't want to touch them.

I really like that idea. It's a fun way to think about it as I go along and will help me achieve the punch that I'm lacking at the moment.

Thanks again, all. We'll see where I'm at with it in a week or two. There is so much to learn!
Northern Appalachia Accordion

Emre Enercan

• You can never practice too much!
« Reply #457 on: June 19, 2020, 05:58:45 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzEU1TEpIRU Im an accoridon player and I have been learning melodeon for about a couple of weeks now, I also recorded the tune of the month, Im going to upload it today and send it here also :D
« Last Edit: June 19, 2020, 06:00:44 PM by Emre Enercan »
Hohner Club II C/F

Dick Rees

• Neo-Luddite
« Reply #458 on: June 19, 2020, 07:25:12 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzEU1TEpIRU Im an accoridon player and I have been learning melodeon for about a couple of weeks now, I also recorded the tune of the month, Im going to upload it today and send it here also :D

Good job!  One thing you could try out would be to give some attention to "closing off" the longer notes like dotted quarters, half notes and such with an almost percussive release of the button, enough to hear/feel the pallet slap closed.  I'm channeling George G, I think, in suggesting the value of "space BETWEEN the notes for definition.

You can combine the above with a slight increase in bellows pressure/draw into the closing for a bit of dynamic pulse.

Keep up the good work.  Have fun
"You're making the wrong mistakes."
...Thelonius Monk

"I never made one of my discoveries through the process of rational thinking."
...Albert Einstein

Cogito ergo bibo.
...Bacchus

Emre Enercan

• You can never practice too much!
« Reply #459 on: June 19, 2020, 08:22:40 PM »

Good job!  One thing you could try out would be to give some attention to "closing off" the longer notes like dotted quarters, half notes and such with an almost percussive release of the button, enough to hear/feel the pallet slap closed.  I'm channeling George G, I think, in suggesting the value of "space BETWEEN the notes for definition.

You can combine the above with a slight increase in bellows pressure/draw into the closing for a bit of dynamic pulse.

Keep up the good work.  Have fun

thanks for the recommendation! Swtiching from the accordion, I never even realized that! :D
Hohner Club II C/F
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 29   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal