Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What Reeds is Paddy Clancy using?  (Read 3318 times)

Andrew Culwell

What Reeds is Paddy Clancy using?
« on: April 23, 2012, 01:53:14 AM »

Expecting delivery of one of Mr Clancy's Celtic models in the next few days.  I've ordered it with TaM reeds instead of A Mano.  He seems a bit cagey about who is reed supplier is, anyone have an inside scoop on this?

Hohner's, Paolo Soprani red 4 voice, Paddy Clancy Celtic

mory

Re: What Reeds is Paddy Clancy using?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 08:41:39 AM »

Can't help I'm affraid, but I'm interested to know what made your choice, All the Best mory
 p.s I think he makes a really nice and very playable box.

Martyn

• Respected Sage
  • Hohnerohner
    • Martyn White Melodeon Tuning and Repairs
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2012, 12:34:39 PM »

Expecting delivery of one of Mr Clancy's Celtic models in the next few days.  I've ordered it with TaM reeds instead of A Mano.  He seems a bit cagey about who is reed supplier is, anyone have an inside scoop on this?

I have one of these in my workshop at present and that has VA reeds.

Martyn
'Anything from a small repair to a full restoration'.
www.melodeonrepairs.co.uk

MandoC

• Respected Sage
    • Swing Dogs Contra Dance Band
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2012, 04:35:42 PM »

AJ:  I would be interested in a review of the Clancy accordion once you have played it for a while. There is not much information about his accordions available other than on his website. I would imagine it to be similar to a Cairdin mini since he was one of the original owners of Caridin, but that is just speculation on my part. Thanks in advance.  Charlie
Charlie Hunt
Mandolins and now, B/C Button Accordion)

Swing Dogs Contra Dance Band, Facebook Page:https://www.facebook.com/SwingDogs

diatonix

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2012, 09:52:00 PM »

Just curious, A.J.C.: Is there a specific reason why you chose TaM when you had the option of getting the same  box with the better performing AM reeds?
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 10:03:53 PM by diatonix »

Andrew Culwell

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2012, 05:52:32 PM »

The original impetus was cost.  I really wanted the Mini Celtic but wanted to keep the cost lower.  I believe the cost difference was substantial. Also an amalgamation of the professional advice from a couple tuners I know and the great information  on mel.net led me to believe that the difference in A Mano from TaM was negligible sound and performance wise, the price was the main driver in this decision although I have had plenty of boxes with TaM reeds and have been pleased. 

sammckibbin

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2012, 12:51:55 PM »

when i got my celtic deluxe in october the tam reeds fitted were cciarrelli [not to sure about spelling] the reason being they were able to supply quicker ashis previous supplier had been holding up production due to slow delivery times and he found the cciarrelli reeds very reliable and responsive

mory

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2012, 09:19:33 PM »

Has your new box arrived yet A.J. ? your sure to be pleased, what key is it?. AtB mory

Andrew Culwell

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2012, 02:07:15 PM »

Mory,
My box has been overdue a few months.  Paddy has been great with his communication and recently went on holiday to Majorca so I won't have the box for another month or so.  I'm hoping the year of waiting will have been worth it.  The configuration is different than most.  He will be installing a switch on the treble side to switch to single voice.  While this is unusual it is not unheard of and he stated that since I had originally been torn between a super dry sounding box and a nice swing sound that this was a nice compromise which would allow me to play with a cleaner sounding single voice yet switch to the traditional wetter setting.  I'll put up sound files for both when I get the box.

--Drew

nfldbox

• Respected Sage
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2012, 04:40:40 PM »

Perhaps you will get antique Majorca reeds? ;D
BC Cairdin
BC Hohner Double Ray
Bouchard en RĂ©

mory

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2012, 05:08:25 PM »

Hey Drew, look forward to that, sounds like the way to go with your choices. The mini that Martyn had in was a real little beauty, so nicely done, instant melodeon envy, All the Best mory
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal