News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: .  (Read 3415 times)

aradru

« on: April 27, 2012, 10:13:54 PM »

« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 01:28:50 AM by . »

Québécois

• Accordez-vous donc, c'est si beau, l'accordéon!
Re: A PROBLEM REED
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2012, 04:08:04 AM »

One reed tongue needed realignment.

I had a problem with one reed though, F#/Ab.
(...)
In the end I replaced the dodgy reed using a PA Ab/Ab reed, a blob of solder on one tongue to tune to F#.
That worked out fine.

Two questions:
 What could be wrong with the reed?  It looks perfect (Antonelli reeds).
(...)
 Should I have attempted to tighten the rivet on the reed that was out of alignment?

I suppose this is about the same reed?

If it was out of alignment perhaps the rivet got loose. Moving the reed back into the center of the opening would leave it still with a loose rivet!
Just my analysis...
Hohner Morgane D/G, pre-Erica Hohner in C/F and G/C,
Hohner Erica A/D, Roland FR-18

Adam-T

• Hohner Club-Too
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2012, 07:36:01 AM »

If the plates are aluminium, it`s easy to catch an edge with the file when tuning (if you`re just beginning at tuning like I am) and it can produce a tiny burr which catches the reed which can`t be easily seen.. I use a "Loupe" (hi power eyeglass for photographers) to inspect the reed plate for these burrs, they`re easily removed with a sheet of very very car bodywork finishers fine "wet and dry" abrasive paper very carefully . amazing how something almost invisible to the naked eye can catch a reed tongue
Q: How do you cure MAD?
A: Take a Break from Mel-Net. (IF YOU CAN)

Christopher K.

• Content Manager
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2012, 07:40:37 AM »

This happened to a reed in a cheap Klingenthal concertina I have. First the reed went out of tune, then it wouldn't sound at all. So I realigned it, and although it played in tune for short while, it then started buzzing, although it was still aligned over the slot. I held the plate flush against the bench with pliers in one hand and whacked the rivet twice quite smartly with a small hammer. Works fine now, although I didn't stand to lose much if it didn't work. Before hitting your friend's Serenellini reed with a hammer I'd check closely for cracks with a magnifying glass and bright light.

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2012, 08:23:09 AM »

This can so happen if there is a tiny burr on the edge of the reed tongue,  or stint amount of wax or other contamination on the reed or the edge of the slot. Glue squeezing out frum under the valve can sometimes spread to the reed.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Québécois

• Accordez-vous donc, c'est si beau, l'accordéon!
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2012, 03:46:43 PM »

Could it be that oxide forming on the edges of the reed tongue and/or plate could cause a buzz? I suppose that if this is near the base of the reed, the movement from the vibrations is not enough to "wear out" the oxide.
Hohner Morgane D/G, pre-Erica Hohner in C/F and G/C,
Hohner Erica A/D, Roland FR-18

Cag

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2012, 03:19:46 AM »

When you get a gurgling or growling sound from a note and suspect a valve it will not be the valve belonging to the note, which is on the other side of the plate. It will be the valve belonging to the paired note, which sits beside the problem reed. It is not staying shut while the problem note plays, leading to intermittent air pressure fluctuations. If you replaced the one behind then you would not affect the problem. Problems with the notes' own valve, the valve behind, are pops as the note starts, and buzzing between the notes when pushing and pulling without lifting the button.

If you replaced the one beside and the problem persists, consider the possibility the new valve is not up to the task and change it again. You can check it by leaving the valve off and seeing if the reed plays normally.

Reed touches as suggested by others have a very different, much more finite sound than a valve. A tip touch is very metalic, a root touch will sometimes take the pitch up and will be affected by volume. A reed touch will always be there, whereas a valve will sometimes play.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 03:25:26 AM by Cag »

odonovanchris

• Regular debater
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2014, 02:38:39 AM »

Did you ever figure out what the problem with the reed was aradru? I'm getting a tiny buzzing sound that comes and goes and seems like 1 octave below the note I'm playing on my paolo. If anyone knows what it could be let me know. BTW I just had it tuned a few months ago and all was good until this tiny thing now...
Many Paolo Sopranis, many Hohners, little space left.

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2014, 10:01:57 AM »

Did you ever figure out what the problem with the reed was aradru? I'm getting a tiny buzzing sound that comes and goes and seems like 1 octave below the note I'm playing on my paolo. If anyone knows what it could be let me know. BTW I just had it tuned a few months ago and all was good until this tiny thing now...

Most likely you have a faulty valve that should be replaced with a new one.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

tedrick

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2014, 01:46:16 PM »

interesting thread - I have had a problem with my high b on the pull for the past 2 years during the months of about August through September - not sure if it's a climate/humidity thing - but it sounds like my issue is related to either a bad valve, or a particle in the reed plate - what is odd, is that the problem goes away after a couple months - perhaps the foreign object gets jarred out, or the valve gets settled back into position again.

odonovanchris

• Regular debater
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2014, 08:32:14 PM »

Most likely you have a faulty valve that should be replaced with a new one.

Thanks but I took a look at it and it seems to be in perfect condition. It's a 4 voice box and the note makes the annoying buzz when it's set on MMM. Everything seems to be clean.
Many Paolo Sopranis, many Hohners, little space left.

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2014, 10:37:47 PM »

Valves that are noisy sometimes don't look much different. Ideally you need to take the reed blocks out and sound them on a tuning bellows to work out which reed is misbehaving and why. My money is still on a faulty valve.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal