Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 12-bass C#/D  (Read 1477 times)

nemethmik

• Good talker
12-bass C#/D
« on: April 30, 2012, 07:29:07 AM »

After a couple of years I again rediscovered the merits of the C#/D system. The right hand side is perfect for any music. However, the accompanyment on an 8-bass C#/D for playing in G is restricted to D and G only: you have no C bass/chord. B/C and D/G players use a hell lot of C chords for G tunes. That is, if I want to play G tunes with "proper" bass on a C#D box, I need a 12-bass system. My question how would you arrange a 12-bass for a C#/D?
Miklos

Mike Hirst

• Primatona IV D/D#, Black Dot B/C, One Row in D
Re: 12-bass C#/D
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 10:44:28 AM »

Hans Speek has a lot of useful information on his web pages

http://hspeek.home.xs4all.nl/irishbox/basses.html
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 01:59:24 PM by Mike Hirst »
"Slip like Freudian, your first and last step to playing yourself like an Accordion" - MF DOOM - Madvillain

george garside

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 11:21:26 AM »

I would go for 12 'stradella'  as on a hohner trichord   FCGDAE - 14 would be better & 16  better still!

george
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012, 01:05:27 PM »

Hi Miklos

This subject has come up several times and I have harped on about my ideal layout - I haven't time to search for the discussion properly.

Basically, if you are playing music in the keys used for most Irish, Scottish and English dance music (without venturing into the flat keys of Scotland) I would recommend the Jackie Daly 12-bass layout on Han Speek's page, with one correction. Jackie has an E on the push on the last pair, not a G#.

The last pair is really a matter for personal choice, depending on what would be most useful for you. I like having a Bm push, so B/F# or B/C# (to give you a full octave in bass notes) would be my choice. Jackie Daly likes playing some tunes in B/C fingering, which is why he likes the E push (corresponding to a D push on B/C system). Others might like C#/G# for minimal playing on the C# row, or some flat options.

Cheers
S
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal