Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Tune of the Month for May 2012: Molly Oxford  (Read 18204 times)

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
  • Castagnari Tommy D/G, Hohner 1 row 4 stop in C
    • My Youtube Channel
Re: Tune of the Month for May 2012: Molly Oxford
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2012, 07:53:22 PM »

I really struggling with this tune. It just feels really awkward to play. I can't get the pace and rythum 'comfortable'. Any tips?

Spikey

• Regular debater
  • NZ
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2012, 09:58:31 PM »

I really struggling with this tune. It just feels really awkward to play. I can't get the pace and rythum 'comfortable'. Any tips?
Hi LDT - I don't know if you have seen this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmyVOe6hW1w (Grand Union Morris Step Back).  I found it helped to 'get' the rhythm by watching how the dance went - although you might already know, being a bit of a dancer yourself (:).
I think the B part is particularly tricky - it's really difficult not to let it get faster and faster and run away on you :o.

howard mitchell

• Respected Sage
    • Howard Mitchell
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2012, 11:14:26 AM »

Here's Old Molly Oxford.  In C on a Bertrand Gaillard C/G. Recorded on an iPad with no effects etc. Just trimmed to length and added a title.  Slghtly odd angle and the ceiling light didn't help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJt221-bK8g

Howard

B****y h**l, that were a bit quick! Beautifully played and I loved the left hand, but I'm glad I didn't have to dance it at that speed!  ;D :M

Speeds have changed over the years but you're right it's certainly quicker than most present-day sides would want.
H
Saltarelle D/G, Hohner D/G, Hohner C/F, Dallape C/F, Hohner A/D, Gaillard G/C, Sagne D, Roland FR18D, Hohner Bb/Eb.

Frank Lee

• Regular debater
    • Rapper Swords
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2012, 12:22:15 PM »

Here's my take on Old Molly Oxford, somewhat faster than dance speed.  Sorry I haven't the technology to do nice things with the sound, so this is just straight from the phone again and sounds a bit rough, and I forgot about orientation, but no time to re-do, I gotta earn my living!  The box is a Castagnari ilary 23/8 3 voice, in C/F with all 3 reeds sounding here. No thirds in the chords.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-D02kmEvC4&list=UU73L_WIE4HD1FGTwNLBG98g&index=1&feature=plcp
I have some boxes. 
‘You make that thing sound a bit like a musical instrument!’

Mcgrooger

• Northern Roots
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2012, 12:39:47 PM »

Here's my take on Old Molly Oxford, somewhat faster than dance speed.  Sorry I haven't the technology to do nice things with the sound, so this is just straight from the phone again and sounds a bit rough, and I forgot about orientation, but no time to re-do, I gotta earn my living!  The box is a Castagnari ilary 23/8 3 voice, in C/F with all 3 reeds sounding here. No thirds in the chords.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-D02kmEvC4&list=UU73L_WIE4HD1FGTwNLBG98g&index=1&feature=plcp

Fab playing, Frank. I was reasonably happy with my left hand till I watched your version!  :(

Mike Carney

• In sunny Sheffield
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2012, 03:53:44 PM »

Thanks.  A little too fast for me but I really enjoyed the richness of the harmony made by both the multiple key use on the melody side and the bass - something I am hoping to get into soon as I get more comfortable on my keyboard!!
Mike (:)

Frank Lee

• Regular debater
    • Rapper Swords
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2012, 05:42:08 PM »

Thanks both, very kind of you!  Yes I do get the bit between my teeth if the dancers are not in front of me!
I have some boxes. 

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2012, 08:49:59 PM »

Taking time out from what I should be doing, here's a quick take on Molly Oxford ... sorry, Old Molly Oxford  ;) Been playing this tune for donkey's years, I'll admit; I've always liked it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enV-RkKrD4Q

Played on the Castagnari Lilly in A/D which was long overdue a workout, so in this version it comes out in D (I like to play this tune mostly on the inside row, but it does cross rows in places in this version).

Cheers,

Clive

PS: Apologies for the webcam quality; it's getting worse, I swear. Need to replace it I think.

Mcgrooger

• Northern Roots
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2012, 10:42:52 PM »

Taking time out from what I should be doing
Clive

That's exactly what you should be doing, imho. What a lovely sound!

Spikey

• Regular debater
  • NZ
« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2012, 02:21:18 AM »

That was an amazing sound Clive – it was as if you had a whole woodwind and brass section hidden in there somewhere.
All great, well-played versions so far, so thought it was time for a change (:).
After going on about how much I like lively Morris tunes I had a go at a very un-morris hymnal version…complete with corny ending.

http://youtu.be/QJ4t9oSxaKk

One thing I did notice while trying to play this is that my thumb seems to have started operating the air button on its own (sometimes) – which is a relief as I was beginning to think I would never get the hang of it ::).

bellmartin

• Regular debater
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2012, 03:55:21 AM »

Taking time out from what I should be doing, here's a quick take on Molly Oxford ... sorry, Old Molly Oxford  ;)

Really nice, Clive.

Mike Carney

• In sunny Sheffield
« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2012, 08:05:31 AM »

PS: Apologies for the webcam quality; it's getting worse, I swear. Need to replace it I think.

Loved this amazing sound - really inspirational!  Can I also say that the picture matters less than the sound, which comes across very well - reverb..or is it the room?

Mike  (:)

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2012, 12:45:03 PM »

Right, that's it then. Slow and majestic on my C/F box it is...

Well, it's played on the C/F club at least... perhaps no slower than anyone else's, but should be about right for some dancers...
http://youtu.be/A8alhcFYFPM
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Frank Lee

• Regular debater
    • Rapper Swords
« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2012, 02:30:17 PM »

Well, it's played on the C/F club at least... perhaps no slower than anyone else's, but should be about right for some dancers...

Oh dear,  that's wonderful!  But how to get my work done now?  Going to have to learn it in C,  - sounds much better! 
I have some boxes. 

Frank Lee

• Regular debater
    • Rapper Swords
« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2012, 03:26:32 PM »

Well, it's not often I'm right, but I'm wrong again, sorry I failed to highlight what I'd quoted from you in my last post Anahata! 
I have some boxes. 

Owen Woods

• melodeonmusic.com
    • The website and blog of Owen Woods
« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2012, 04:03:26 PM »

Well for the first time since March of last year, I have recorded something for ToTM! Hooray! And it's basically just a rip off of Andy Cutting's version, as stated above, so you might just want to listen to his instead.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ae0tmT1VRM4
Bergflodt D/G 4 voice, Saltarelle Bouebe D/G, Super Preciosa D/Em, Hohner Impiliput B/C+C#

Latest blog post: In Any Weather

http://melodeonmusic.com/blog

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
  • Castagnari Tommy D/G, Hohner 1 row 4 stop in C
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2012, 04:05:46 PM »

Hi LDT - I don't know if you have seen this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmyVOe6hW1w (Grand Union Morris Step Back).  I found it helped to 'get' the rhythm by watching how the dance went - although you might already know, being a bit of a dancer yourself (:).
I think the B part is particularly tricky - it's really difficult not to let it get faster and faster and run away on you :o.
Still not feeling it.
I can't really explain...but you know how some tunes want to be played and they pull you forward...it's like this one 'resists' me playing it.

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #37 on: May 11, 2012, 04:53:17 PM »

Still not feeling it.
I can't really explain...but you know how some tunes want to be played and they pull you forward...it's like this one 'resists' me playing it.

I think I know what you mean. There's a lot about this tune that feels "back to front" for a melodeon player - pull notes that you expect to be push and vice versa, chord sequences that seem to go in the wrong direction, patterns of notes your fingers aren't used to, and an ending in "the wrong key". It's almost as if it's a "normal" tune played backwards.

There's no quick fix: you just have to get used to it, and in doing so push the boundaries of your musical experience. It will be good for you and you'll find many hard tunes easier to play afterward!   :|||:

I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

bellmartin

• Regular debater
« Reply #38 on: May 11, 2012, 05:20:22 PM »

Sounds great, Anahata. One thing I love about it, and about your playing in general, is the way you make interesting bass lines. That's really something nice to shoot for on the melodeon.

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #39 on: May 11, 2012, 05:21:34 PM »

Hi LDT - I don't know if you have seen this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmyVOe6hW1w (Grand Union Morris Step Back). 

I put their very good dancing down to their Foreman of many years, modesty prevents me naming him  ;)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal