Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Playing in time  (Read 4524 times)

oggiesnr

• Dino BPII, Alfred Arnold Bandoneon, Loffet G/C
Playing in time
« on: May 01, 2012, 03:26:25 PM »

One of the other instruments is bass and I'm now having double bass lessons.

A fun exercise I've been using for playing in time and getting used to keeping good time is as follows -

Set a metronome (or you mobile app etc) to play 4/4 at 60 beats a minute.  It needs to be a click sound not a beep.  Now clap your hands on every other beat.  If you are in time you will not hear the metronome click on that beat, if you're out you'll hear a double click.  When you can reliably do it at 60 bpm, reset to 70 and repeat.  It gets a lot harder as the bpm increases  (:)

I'm doing it for around five minutes a day as part of my practice routine and I'm finding that it's helping a lot, not just for bass playing but for melodeon as well.

Steve

Mike Hirst

• Primatona IV D/D#, Black Dot B/C, One Row in D
Re: Playing in time
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2012, 03:54:02 PM »

I wouldn't be without my Wittner table top model and the pocket sized super-mini.
"Slip like Freudian, your first and last step to playing yourself like an Accordion" - MF DOOM - Madvillain

george garside

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2012, 03:56:24 PM »

interesting! - Have just tried it  foot tapping instead of hand clapping and it looks to have potential  for those who have been 'brought up' not to tap their feet.  It is perhaps a bit more realistic as it leaves hands free to play  whilst  programming the accuracy of ones built in metronome

george  :|bl
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

oggiesnr

• Dino BPII, Alfred Arnold Bandoneon, Loffet G/C
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2012, 04:30:54 PM »

interesting! - Have just tried it  foot tapping instead of hand clapping and it looks to have potential  for those who have been 'brought up' not to tap their feet.  It is perhaps a bit more realistic as it leaves hands free to play  whilst  programming the accuracy of ones built in metronome

george  :|bl

I think the idea behind the clap rather than foot tap is that it is immediately obvious if you're out because you hear the two sounds, I'm not sure that a foot tap replicates that.

Steve

george garside

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2012, 05:07:20 PM »

depends what the foots shod with and the surface upon which it is tapping!  Works with normal shoe on laminate floor.

george

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2012, 05:50:19 PM »

I've been told off a few times for foot tapping. Not convinced it works, and unless you are from Québéc I'm told it can be a distraction to performance. Also a very difficult habit to get rid of ...
  _       _    _      _ 

pikey

• Addicted to squeezeboxes since 1975
  • Thread mod
  • If it moves, I'll squeeze it....
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2012, 09:40:42 PM »

There's nowt wrong with foot tapping, parrticularly at the foot tappers and shunters social club do's.

T'Pies have come.......
Still squeezing after all these years.
Mostly on hohners , with a couple of Dinos and a smattering of anglos - and now a Jeffries duet

waltzman

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2012, 11:41:08 PM »

Nor metronomes..... ;)

Tom

• Good talker
  • Stuff with sticks mostly, Sandpiper DG
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2012, 09:02:23 AM »

Id recommend starting to clap/tap a pulse with the click and then leave/ silence the click but keep tapping the pulse. After a minute, return to the pulse and see if you're still in time. Just clapping the 'one' from each bar (if you have a metronome that can click bars not beats) will give you even less room for error.
Enjoy!

pikey

• Addicted to squeezeboxes since 1975
  • Thread mod
  • If it moves, I'll squeeze it....
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2012, 09:41:44 AM »

Try playing along to a CD, get a friend to turn the volume down whilst you keep playing for a minute, then get them to turn the volume back up and see if you are in sync   ;D

(This could make a good game for a radio 4 comedy show.....)
Still squeezing after all these years.
Mostly on hohners , with a couple of Dinos and a smattering of anglos - and now a Jeffries duet

Marje

• Respected Sage
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2012, 09:50:27 AM »

Next problem: once you know you can play strictly in time, how do you get other musicians at sessions to do likewise and not accelerate?

Marje
Marje

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2012, 09:59:01 AM »

Next problem: once you know you can play strictly in time, how do you get other musicians at sessions to do likewise and not accelerate?

Marje

If the tempo picks up significantly I just stop and shout Woaa! and start all over again  (:)

And, of course, if you are playing for dancing or singing you then need to be able to ignore strict tempo and go with the flow. I skipped the learning strict tempo part myself ;)
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 10:00:32 AM by Lester »

george garside

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2012, 10:04:05 AM »

Marje

this is where foot tapping is very useful - if the bandleader is tapping his/her foot either in strict tempo or to the feeet of the best danacer in thehallmorris side etc All bandmembers should be tapping exactly the same as the leader (& its very easy to spot the bugger that isn't!)
 george ;D

Ziachmusi/Louise

• Respected Sage
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2012, 10:35:03 AM »

I can't play and tap my foot at the same time, but i can't play in time either ::)

Tom

• Good talker
  • Stuff with sticks mostly, Sandpiper DG
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2012, 11:29:46 AM »

I find yelling "have you lot got a bus to catch?!" to be completely ineffective at altering the tempo but still immensely satisfying for releasing stress...

As a drummer for a variety of genres, being confident that I can keep metronomic tempo (when suitable) is a handy skill. (although my drum teacher used to say that if your band where relying on the drummer to 'keep the band in time', you'd be well advised to find a better band)
For folk music (and quite a lot of other world music traditions) metronomic time is, at best, a stepping stone to understanding 'pulse'; which is dynamic and alive.

Bill Young

• Paolo Soprani BCC#
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2012, 12:54:04 PM »

This is not possible. It is only possible to keep together in a band with an acknowledged leader. A famous ceilidh band leader once told me, when discussing band seating arrangements, "the drummer sits where he can see my right foot".

george garside

« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2012, 02:31:48 PM »

INDEED!

george ;D

Québécois

• Accordez-vous donc, c'est si beau, l'accordéon!
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2012, 04:57:10 PM »

(...) A famous ceilidh band leader once told me, when discussing band seating arrangements, "the drummer sits where he can see my right foot".
... or reach him/her with it?

Seriously, timing is always an issue in a group. For some tunes, it starts slow and gets faster towards the end. For others, it's the opposite.

« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 04:58:58 PM by Québécois »
Hohner Morgane D/G, pre-Erica Hohner in C/F and G/C,
Hohner Erica A/D, Roland FR-18

Owen Woods

• melodeonmusic.com
    • The website and blog of Owen Woods
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2012, 05:49:50 PM »

This is not possible. It is only possible to keep together in a band with an acknowledged leader. A famous ceilidh band leader once told me, when discussing band seating arrangements, "the drummer sits where he can see my right foot".

Sadly, this is definitely apt. Especially last night, where we were in a very echo-y church. It was all too easy to play off the echoes, not the band! Between us, me and the drummer kept everyone together, in time and at a steady speed, although there were a few sets where it was a bit of a struggle.
Bergflodt D/G 4 voice, Saltarelle Bouebe D/G, Super Preciosa D/Em, Hohner Impiliput B/C+C#

Latest blog post: In Any Weather

http://melodeonmusic.com/blog

Marje

• Respected Sage
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2012, 06:09:08 PM »

I think tunes in 6/8 are particularly at risk of speeding up, and if I'm starting one I always try to begin nice and steady. I think I'm pretty good at not speeding up if I'm playing on my own (I think perhaps melodeons don't do it as much because they're generally playing the bass in a rhythmic way, which is a bit like tapping a foot). However, certain other players who shall be nameless (I will say that concertinas and fiddles are often involved) just grab the tune and gallop away. I don't think they do it deliberately, they just tend to shorten the long notes or gaps at the end of lines, so the whole thing gathers momentum, and there's nothing I can do to stop it. I sometimes try to tap my foot visibly, which one player has told me is helpful. I find a good guitarist can be very helpful in keeping the time steady, if others bother to listen to him or watch him.
Marje
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal