Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Jack Conroy should make a cd!  (Read 1073 times)

pgroff

Jack Conroy should make a cd!
« on: May 09, 2012, 11:22:24 PM »

Hi all,

Here's a great photo of my friend and mentor Jack Conroy, taken when he was inducted into the Comhaltas NE US regional hall of fame in 2004.  Jack is a wonderful player on the Irish-American D/C# box and I have been after him for years to make a recording. 

Jack was born in the Boston area, but his father and mother were both from Connemara, and the father played the G melodeon and ran a well-known watering hole.  Jack learned his music from a number of musicians including Jerry O'Brien (who also taught Joe Derrane) and Jack Diamond.  The accordion in this photo is a Walters bought new in 1949, with help from Jack's father and Jack Diamond.

PG

Owen Woods

• melodeonmusic.com
    • The website and blog of Owen Woods
Re: Jack Conroy should make a cd!
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2012, 04:35:30 PM »

Nice box! He should certainly record, I would love to hear more of the D/C#.
Bergflodt D/G 4 voice, Saltarelle Bouebe D/G, Super Preciosa D/Em, Hohner Impiliput B/C+C#

Latest blog post: In Any Weather

http://melodeonmusic.com/blog

pgroff

Re: Jack Conroy should make a cd!
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2012, 04:50:54 PM »

Jack has a lovely traditional style on the 15-key D/C# box. He's also a fine 1-row player.  In this pic of a session in New York he's in the center with his Junior Martin melodeon.  On the left in the NYPD hat, noted player, collector, and historian Hugh O'Rourke.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal