Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hohner Club-IIIB-S  (Read 4460 times)

Adam-T

• Hohner Club-Too
Hohner Club-IIIB-S
« on: May 14, 2012, 05:47:52 PM »

My Club-IIIB S has just arrived and of course it needs some fettling which maybe another point for another thread but this is the first C/F, the first Club and the first 3 voice I`ve played (though I`ve heard Corsos and Coronas of course) .. it`s leaking through the front somewhere (any ideas, it`s not the pallets) so at the moment is very hungry, tips on improving the action of the stop levers would be gratefully received too. I can`t say I like the 1930s Radio style grille , the reeds are a mix of Zinc and mostly Aluminium

I love the massive supple bellows, the "chaimail" bellows straps, the big bass buttons, the non-sinking fast action and guess what - I LOVE the "Gleichten" , it doesn`t half make runs up and down the row easier . the box seems mostly in tune (including the infamous "araldite reed" in the bass) though I do need to sort that front leak out ...

Note the missing bass reed, this is before I found it glued into a Dummy space in the treble end !
Q: How do you cure MAD?
A: Take a Break from Mel-Net. (IF YOU CAN)

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
Re: Hohner Club-IIIB-S
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2012, 06:19:16 PM »

One place to look for leaks on the treble end is the keyboard fixing screws, sometimesoose or perished leather washers.

Adam-T

• Hohner Club-Too
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2012, 09:04:45 PM »

Thanks Lester . there was some leak there, the most was coming from the blocks which the register lever pivots pass through , not the pivots themselves. I followed Hohners example and re-sealed it with new reed-wax , not totally tight but about 90% of the way there . Hohner seem to have done a lot of joint seal finishing with reed wax in this box.

I have to say that I prefer the sound of this to a Corso, LMM really works and the bass end sounds massive . it does appear to reed share to a degree (there`s a quasi-stradella style mech in there)

Daddy Long Les

• Forum Librarian
    • Daddy Long Les
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2012, 09:16:33 PM »

That looks great.  Happy squeezing!! ;)
Castagnari Lily DG, Dino Baffetti Binci DG, Hohner Erica DG, Hohner Erica GC, Hohner Liliput Bb Eb, Sybilla Brand GCF, Hohner Compadre ADG, Hohner 4 stop in C

Adam-T

• Hohner Club-Too
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2012, 09:32:50 PM »

Thanks Les - I can join in with your Blog sessions without causing bats to crash now :)

michik

• Respected Sage
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2012, 09:37:32 PM »

I LOVE the "Gleichten"

It's "Gleichton", any other spelling is wrong.  ;)
Michael Knapp ~ Vienna ~ Austria
Playing on "Parigi Giovani" G/C (made by Bompezzo) - My recordings: http://www.onmvoice.com/mknapp

Andrius

• Regular debater
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2017, 08:24:04 AM »

Hello,
may be someone knows years of manufacture 3 different designed Hohner Club III B S accordions? At least chronology - which is the oldest one?
"Hohner Accordion Model Year of Manufacture" table shows only 1949-50 for Club III B S model. Is it possible that all modifications of Club III B S accordions were made in so short time interval?
Models without metal corners on corpus always have yellow buttons, the same like models with rounded body. Models with metal corners on corpus always have white buttons.
BTW i think model without corners must have gold taped bellows like others (this one in photo is with new bellows)
Koch Bb/Eb 12b 3v : Koch A/D 8b 2v : Koch C/F 12b 2v : Hohner Erica C/F 8b 2v : Hohner Erika C/F 2.4 row 8b 2v : Hohner early pre-Corona F/Bb/Eb 12b 2v: Hohner Liliput 2.4 row Bb/Eb 8b 2v : Hohner Club III BS C/F 2.7 row 8b 3v : Galotta D/G 8b 2v : Meinel & Herold G/C/F 16b 2v : Unkn G/C 8b 2v : Petersburg accordion F/Bb/Eb 16b 3v: Petersburg accordion G/C/F 16b 2v : Bandoneon Alfred Arnold 128 tone 2v : Bandoneon Wilhelm König 144 tone 2 v

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2017, 08:31:21 AM »

The last photo is the most recent model late 50s/60s I think.
The years given in the Hohner list are not exact.  It says somewhere that the list is complied from catalogues held by the Hohner museum in Trossingen so any of the date ranges there could be longer if their collection of catalogues is incomplete.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

invadm

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2017, 10:20:40 AM »

I love the massive supple bellows, the "chaimail" bellows straps,
great box is it not ? I could not fully expand the bellow on mine,arms not long enough  (:)

« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 10:23:25 AM by invadm »

Andrius

• Regular debater
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2017, 11:55:38 AM »

Amazing not only because long bellows. I love sound of M and LM registers.
I am going to convert older BSs (C/F & Bb/Eb) to full 3 row 12 bass boxes. May be to remove one M voice. Hope to get something better than Corona or pre-Corona  :D
Koch Bb/Eb 12b 3v : Koch A/D 8b 2v : Koch C/F 12b 2v : Hohner Erica C/F 8b 2v : Hohner Erika C/F 2.4 row 8b 2v : Hohner early pre-Corona F/Bb/Eb 12b 2v: Hohner Liliput 2.4 row Bb/Eb 8b 2v : Hohner Club III BS C/F 2.7 row 8b 3v : Galotta D/G 8b 2v : Meinel & Herold G/C/F 16b 2v : Unkn G/C 8b 2v : Petersburg accordion F/Bb/Eb 16b 3v: Petersburg accordion G/C/F 16b 2v : Bandoneon Alfred Arnold 128 tone 2v : Bandoneon Wilhelm König 144 tone 2 v

Randal Scott

• Respected Sage
  • Western USA
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2017, 07:01:37 PM »

My (Bb/Eb) III BS is still my favorite of the clubs.  My newer (round corner) III M is great too, but not the same as III BS.

A tad heavier than corona, but worth it.

« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 07:06:11 PM by catty »

Grape Ape

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2017, 07:18:51 PM »

I too think these are great boxes.  The behind the grill switches are great, and I agree it sounds great on just the M reed.  The basses have a rich amd powerful sound.

Question- are you sure the buttons were originally yellow? Mine arrived with yellow buttons, a problem easily fixed with a baking soda paste that returned them to their presumably original pearly white...

Andrius

• Regular debater
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2017, 11:20:38 PM »

Not sure about original color, but difference white/yellow was the same on >10 various instruments.
I like yellow more, so when i got the last one with white buttons i was very sad and first idea was to look for yellow ones.
For this reason i will not test baking soda paste with my yellow buttons  :||:

Randal Scott

• Respected Sage
  • Western USA
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2017, 02:08:17 AM »

Ya mine are yellow and I like that.  On a Victoria (sp?) modeI i owned I believe they were greyish, perloidish irrc. 

I think I was reading a thread recently discussing some club repertoire..  I like to play some of the Latin dance/groove stuff that's very popular for the club (as opposed the tejano, etc  stuff for 3-row).   Anyone have any clips of tango on club?
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal