Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: playing by numbers  (Read 6384 times)

jacqui

playing by numbers
« on: May 20, 2012, 03:41:19 PM »

hi,
i am a newcomer to the forum in the hope someone can help please ?
i am very basic on button accordion and can play, my problem is i don't / cant read music, and don't understand the A.B.C, i am Dyslexic and find it easy to play by numbers.
i went to the accordion shop in rochdale on Wednesday and the gentleman there adviced me to come on this forum as he felt someone may help, i have 2 accordion's, a old 1960's Apollo from east germany, and a hohner double ray black spot, i would like to have any information about the Apollo as i was only told above information on Wednesday in the shop in rochdale,
i would appreciate any help please.
thank you.
Jacqui

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
Re: playing by numbers
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2012, 03:55:57 PM »

I'd say to ignore the reading/dots/ABC thing completely and learn the instrument by ear. My daughter's dyslexic and after (a lot) of practice can sing back/play most tunes straight away on voice or piano.

I've never tried playing by numbers, but I've painted by numbers.  From various posts here I think it will lock you into a way of playing that isn't 'artistic'.

The key is to consciously listen to what you play, tune, tone, timing .. in the end the whole thing.  Also to listen to others in your group or session. ie if the eye lets you down, use the ear. It might take a while to get your ear in, but it's worth it.  :|glug
  _       _    _      _ 

jacqui

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2012, 05:22:32 PM »

hi Chris,
thanks for that, i do learn that way as its the only way i can learn, but i find it better once i learn to write the notes down for future playing, i just seem a bit lost of late and would like to learn a few new songs, ie wild colonial boy...Danny boy...wild rover.. can can... lily Marlane, etc. and hoped if anyone knows what they are playing and played the same as myself some songs could be available to me, in the format that i am able to learn.
thank you
Jacqui

Cooper

• Gaillrd G/C/#,Casta Allain8 GC,Lofft CF, giord ad
    • Cooper's homepage
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2012, 07:25:55 PM »

hi Chris,
thanks for that, i do learn that way as its the only way i can learn, but i find it better once i learn to write the notes down for future playing, i just seem a bit lost of late and would like to learn a few new songs, ie wild colonial boy...Danny boy...wild rover.. can can... lily Marlane, etc. and hoped if anyone knows what they are playing and played the same as myself some songs could be available to me, in the format that i am able to learn.
thank you
Jacqui

In Holland many people play by numbers, you could ask for help there. (www.trekzakpagina.nl) for example,
W
Please correct my English, it's been a while, and i like to learn.
And don't be so polite! I know i must be typing tons of stuff that a native speaker would say differently...please enlighten me.

www.wouterkuyper.nl
www.lirio.nl
www.trekzakacademie.nl

jacqui

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2012, 08:11:37 PM »

i,

thank you so much, i will check that out,  (:)

jacqui

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2012, 09:20:19 PM »

getting no-where fast, :(

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2012, 09:23:43 PM »

Bernard Loffet has quite a bit of diato tab on his website.   I don't use it myself, but it might be what you are looking for.

Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Cooper

• Gaillrd G/C/#,Casta Allain8 GC,Lofft CF, giord ad
    • Cooper's homepage
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2012, 09:48:40 PM »

getting no-where fast, :(

Go to "interactie'  that will get you to the forum. You can ask your question probably best in "melodieen". Ask for the specific tunes you are looking for. Al Dutchies speak English, so you should be fine asking it in English.

i do agree with the rest here btw, that it may get you further to develop your "learning by ear" skills than to succumb to the simplicity of numbers.

W
Please correct my English, it's been a while, and i like to learn.
And don't be so polite! I know i must be typing tons of stuff that a native speaker would say differently...please enlighten me.

www.wouterkuyper.nl
www.lirio.nl
www.trekzakacademie.nl

Fidjit

• my space on My Space
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2012, 10:14:39 PM »

They do numbers in Sweden and Norway too.

I tend to use them (numbers)to get started on a tune. Then rely on my ear. Which has been known to get me into trouble.
When thinking that the "B" part of a tune will naturaly go one way and then it goes another.

Chas  :|glug

jacqui

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2012, 10:51:39 PM »

thank you all so much, if i am lucky enough to get some i will be personalising to my own style,
jacqui

Daddy Long Les

• Forum Librarian
    • Daddy Long Les
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2012, 07:03:11 AM »

Hi Jacqui

Although I do read music I sometimes write my pieces out in this fashion :-

G row. 4> 5> 6> | 7> 7> 6> 6< 6> 5<|

This is the start of the Bluebell Polka. The numbers are the buttons (chin end being one) and the > indicates bellows push and the < is a pull. The | indicates the start or end of a bar. If there is a two row section I write it out like this:-

G row 5<                     7> 4> 5> 6>
D row        6> 6< 6>

Here you would play the buttons as they occur left to right.

I'm sure you get the idea. This is assuming a DG melodeon with a 3rd button start but can obviously be adapted to suit.  I type the basses in red underneath - lower case for single basses and upper case for chords.

This won't appeal to everyone but it certainly works for me.

If you're at all interested I can email you some that I've done.  For this to work you have to know how the piece goes.

Castagnari Lily DG, Dino Baffetti Binci DG, Hohner Erica DG, Hohner Erica GC, Hohner Liliput Bb Eb, Sybilla Brand GCF, Hohner Compadre ADG, Hohner 4 stop in C

jacqui

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2012, 08:06:03 AM »

daddy long Les,

i have sent you personal message, and i thank you so much,
i have seen your video's on u tube, WOW wonderful work,i learned a lot watching,
i am also very layman about "what accordion" i have any any history until i visited the accordion shop last week, and the gentleman there told me a few bits, i am amazed by this forum, and have found a lot of information, and i thank you all so much for the guidance and help,
Jacqui  (:)

george garside

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2012, 10:52:33 AM »

most DG tutor books, including mine, use some form or other of 'numbers' to help non dot readers get the outline of tunes, I use the button number inside a large arrow which when pointing up  indicates its a pull note and when pointing down indicates a push note.   On the occasions when it is necessary to use the othr row eg E on D row I give the button number on the D row inside a much thicker arrow. Another way is just to use the button number (above the appropriate dot)  with a small mark after it if pull and just the number if push and some other mark alongside it to indicate a button on the other row.

Its a bit more complicated doing the numbers & arrows on a BC box   as  the 'numbers' can become a bit cluttered  by requiring  more buttons off t'other row.

The problem with  using numbered buttons is that it only really works on tunes you already know  as it gives no indication of length of note or required timing etc etc.  Its very good to get beginners poaying a few tunes quickly  and can be a sueul aid to learning to play by ear/memory - provided you don't become hooked on the numbers as some people are on the dots. Therefore I would see it as a short term measure only to get started on the box.

As far as using  numbers to learn new tunes it ( or just the bits you can'tpick up by ear)it can work but  again only if you already know the tune  or at least have a rough idea of how it should sound.   Simplest way to do this is to  maake or get hold of out of a piano/organ tutor  a keybord chart showing the names of each note in the G and D scales     and then draw up a chart of your treble row eg G row with button numbers above it and push/pull indicators of your choice.  it is then easy to pencil in the correct number over the note on the written music i.e. G becomes 3push, B becomes 4 push  etc. E would of course be 3 pull on D row!

But numbers are best used as a short term or perhaps 'if an all else fails '  method of learning.

george

author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

jacqui

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2012, 11:32:56 PM »

hi cooper,
thank you, that forum is great and plenty of help there,
as there as been on here, i thank you  (:)

jacqui
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal