Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Re: Beginners guide to cajun?  (Read 6228 times)

Tom

• Good talker
  • Stuff with sticks mostly, Sandpiper DG
Re: Beginners guide to cajun?
« on: May 22, 2012, 07:20:46 PM »

Does anyone run a good 'beginners guide to Cajun'? Or is it YouTube all the way?

RPr

« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2012, 09:14:41 PM »

Try this site

http://www.bignick.net/BoxLessons/boxlesson_Index.htm

He also has DVDs

Good luck

RPr

blafleur

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2012, 10:50:04 PM »

There's a lot of good stuff on Youtube.  Look for Chris Miller's site, he does a few lessons.  The mentioned Big Nick videos are very well received by people I know who've tried them, and Dirk Powell's videos are good. 

These videos all help, but it can't be over emphasized the importance of listening the music to get a feel for it.

RPr

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2012, 08:01:23 PM »

Blafleur is correct, Cajun like any other musical style has its own unique pulse. Listening to the music is certainly key to capturing the sound.

Good luck

robinbid

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2012, 12:16:41 AM »

I agree - the only way you'll get a feel for Cajun, without actually living in SW Louisiana, is to listen to everything you can - from Joe Falcon, Amede Ardoin, Iry Lejeune, Dewey Balfa et al, through to current performers like Marc Savoy, Michael Doucet, Wayne Toups and any number of great musicians. Then buy the Dirk Powell dvds, and then find someone who can show you how it works in real time (like our own Rees) and then laissez les bons temps roulez!
I've found the Cajun Accordion forum (linked to Big Nick's) to be a bit 'aggressive', unlike the civilised folk on melnet, though they have been helpful when needed - US forums seem to have a different culture to UK forums. The Cajun accordion world in UK is pretty small - perhaps we should form a club? Can you get to the North Shropshire Cajun Festival sessions in August? My experience of the Bristol sessions sent me on a storm. If you're anywhere near South Shropshire (most people aren't) give me a shout
cheers
robin

daveyaaa

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2012, 03:24:38 AM »

Marc Savoy has done a couple of instruction dvd's . Steve Riley has done one as well. Editions-Caruhel did a book and cassette but I dont know if thats still available. Corey Ledet does a three row zydeco dvd.Sorry I havnt got any links but if you cant find this stuff let me know.

dave

blafleur

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2012, 11:26:45 PM »

Marc Savoy has some great videos, only one of which is currently available commercially (World Accordion To Marc #2), but it is definitely not beginner material.  His son, Wilson Savoy, has a dvd centered around techniques and riffs commonly used in Cajun music (as opposed to learning certain songs), and would be an important one for some just getting past the beginner stage. 

Robinbid mentioned some good listening sources.  Cajun music can be grouped by old style and contemporary.  My tastes run to old style, and personal favorites are Octa Clark(all time favorite), Iry Lejeune, any one playing with Dewey Balfa, Marc Savoy, Cory McCauley, Nathan Abshire, Aldus Roger, Joe Falcon, Joe Bonsall, Ray Abshire, Jesse Lege, Nonc Allie Young, and Pee Wee Broussard.  Some more contemporary players are Steve Riley, Wayne Toups, Kevin Naquin.

You can find several of these guys at this link http://npmusic.org/artists.html
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 11:38:01 PM by blafleur »

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2012, 12:06:20 AM »

A good choice of listening sources, Blafleur, but a particular favourite of mine is missing from your list - Lawrence Walker. An accidental omission or just not to your taste?
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

blafleur

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2012, 12:28:56 AM »

Ha, absolutely accidental, probably missed a few more.  Actually been on a Walker kick lately, especially Ossun Two Step and La Valse De Malchanceux.  Also left out Amede Ardoin, but he was listed by Robinbid.  Sentimental attachment to Amede Ardoin in addition to loving his sound, my great grandfather played fiddle on most of his recordings.

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2012, 11:48:38 AM »

Sentimental attachment to Amede Ardoin in addition to loving his sound, my great grandfather played fiddle on most of his recordings.

Respect!
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

blafleur

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2012, 05:42:47 PM »

Tom, here is a good lesson for a great Cajun waltz, and good beginner song, the Love Bridge Waltz done by Chris Miller and posted by a friend. I think it is 5 parts.  Chris has a great way of teaching a song by layering it from simple to full.  Also is Chris' personal youtube site with quite a few videos.  Chris is a highly respected teacher and player of several instruments, and a great person.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5yRgMUjBpI&feature=results_video&playnext=1&list=PLA8926EF153AD88AE

http://www.youtube.com/user/cpm6miller

Also, in reference to Big Nick, though I haven't seen the video, one thing that has been appealing for many beginners from outside Louisiana, is that Nick is also from outside Louisiana, with a background in many types of music. He seems to be able to relate very well the nuances of Cajun music to people not accustomed to it that those of us who grew up with it don't realize.

And here is how good it can get by one of the best Cajun player few have ever heard of, Eric O'Blanc, not only playing what is probably the hardest Cajun song to play on accordion, the Perrodin Two Step, but modulates from C to F.  This leaves even accomplished players speechless.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9SrrWnOC5U
« Last Edit: May 26, 2012, 05:21:35 PM by blafleur »

RPr

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2012, 06:30:39 PM »

There are many really good Cajun players, my top two players happen to be Ray Abshire and Jo-El Sonnier.

You have to remember that the nature of Cajun music contains a lot of double stops and multi-button accents; plus a fair number of tunes are played in “G” on the “C” box.

This means the base side is not what you would normally expect; plus you only have the “C” and “G” chords available. 

Hence, the reason we say to listening to as much Cajun music as possible.

Good Luck

pikey

• Addicted to squeezeboxes since 1975
  • Thread mod
  • If it moves, I'll squeeze it....
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2012, 02:49:11 PM »

Sentimental attachment to Amede Ardoin in addition to loving his sound, my great grandfather played fiddle on most of his recordings.

Respect!

Respect seconded!  Was that Dennis McGhee?
Still squeezing after all these years.
Mostly on hohners , with a couple of Dinos and a smattering of anglos - and now a Jeffries duet

blafleur

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2012, 06:10:10 PM »

Thanks, but bit embarrassed, hopefully that wasn't aimed at me, I'm just offspring.  Didn't really expect anyone to know who he was.

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2012, 06:13:13 PM »

Thanks, but bit embarrassed, hopefully that wasn't aimed at me, I'm just offspring.  Didn't really expect anyone to know who he was.

I met him in Eunice, Louisiana in 1988. We had a bit of a jam - nice guy, great musician.
Rees Wesson (accordion builder and mechanic)
Gungrog, Welshpool, Wales, UK
www.melodeons.com

blafleur

« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2012, 07:40:26 PM »

Rees, that was a year before he died.  He wasn't short of character.

Tom, sorry to derail this thread, did you find anything useful?

Tom

• Good talker
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2012, 08:01:28 PM »

Tom, sorry to derail this thread, did you find anything useful?

Yes, Ta. :)

Also, this seems to have flushed out the Cajun cognoscenti (or zydeco mafia if you prefer ;) ) which can only come in handy in future!

This post was actually moved by Theo out of a post about festival workshops; I think I phrased it a bit glibly. But I might as well ask again - does anyone run a 'beginners guide to Cajun' workshop?
 Or should I just grab 20mins with one of you lads sometime? ;)

Really for me it's a question of getting that first tune out and what to look for in a box. Starting english folk was easy because I was surrounded by guys who could point me in the right direction. I don't even know if playing Cajun is FOR me, I've just always dug that funky Louisiana chord sound.

Regards. Tom

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2012, 08:23:09 PM »

Where are you based, Tom?
www.melodeons.com

Tom

• Good talker
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2012, 10:03:42 PM »

Beautiful Hampshire. although I Morris up in Berkshire  :M

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2012, 10:40:18 PM »

Beautiful Hampshire. although I Morris up in Berkshire  :M

One of the best Cajun players in the country lives down that way. Phil Underwood.
Lester can put you in touch with him.
www.melodeons.com
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal