Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can anyone recommend CDs to help a beginner?  (Read 2277 times)

arty

Can anyone recommend CDs to help a beginner?
« on: May 25, 2012, 02:43:56 PM »

As a complete beginner, I am wanting to familiarise myself with the kind of music that I can look forward to playing in the not too distant future. I would like to have a couple of CDs to keep in the car, so that I can listen often and be able to hum the tunes to myself. I think this would be a great aid to learning to play them later on. At the moment, I am learning 'Princess Royal', so anything from this required standard of playing and upward would be of great interest.
Can anyone recommend a couple of CDs that would fit the bill?
Pre-Pokerwork C/F, Castagnari Laura G/C, Beltuna Sara 3 A/D, Castagnari Sander Special D/G

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
Re: Can anyone recommend CDs to help a beginner?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2012, 02:47:09 PM »

It's a good question, and it's been asked before.
There are many suggestions in this thread
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Steve C.

• Erica, Laura, Morse Anglo
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2012, 02:57:08 PM »

Arty--you might also just go on Youtube and type in "melodeon" and follow the threads to find tunes that you like and don't seem too hard.  Then use a converter like V2MP3 to extract the audio and make your own compilation CD.

Some melodeon threads on Youtube you might follow:

Inspiration: great tune you might be able to play someday, try "Anahata", "DTN"
Reality: tunes that you can learn and play now, try "Hohnerous", "McGrooger", "Lester Bailey"

Also, Lester has a terrific web site with every Morris tune (at least that I have ever heard of here in the States)

All of these threads will link you to even more videos, which you can then convert.

Just estimating, but for  90% more of the tunes, you will be able to find ABC's and dots at one of the "tunefinder" sites.

So, bottom line, you can make your own CD and accompanying sheet music.

ALTERNATIVELY, if you are primarily interested in English-oriented music, you CANNOT go wrong just buying the Dave Mallinson book.
Located in Central North Carolina, USA; credit for picture: livingplanet.ca

Badger

• success is achieved by patience and perseverence
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2012, 03:13:54 PM »

I would highly recommend 'Maggie's Melodeon' and 'More Maggie's Melodeon' and the accompanying C D's.  Great as they play the tunes at different speeds which allows you the opportunity to fully absorb the tune.

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2012, 03:18:52 PM »

<snip>
Also, Lester has a terrific web site with every Morris tune (at least that I have ever heard of here in the States)
</snip>

Lester's Morris Tunes

arty

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2012, 04:12:27 PM »

Thank you so much everyone....that's given me enough to do for the next couple of years!
Pre-Pokerwork C/F, Castagnari Laura G/C, Beltuna Sara 3 A/D, Castagnari Sander Special D/G

george garside

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2012, 05:03:11 PM »

The Folkworks session collections volumes 1,2,3 and a follow up by Dave Oliver. These each have a CD with tunes payed slowly at learning speed and then at a faster speed in sets.  Also English Folk tunes by Dave Oliver with CD  ( around 60 tunes played through once)

george
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

howard mitchell

• Respected Sage
    • Howard Mitchell
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2012, 08:36:01 PM »

There's also,

Hardcore English book and CDs http://folkshop.efdss.org/Books+and+Publications/Hardcore+English+Book.html
Nick Barber's English Choice http://www.themusicroom-online.co.uk/product_info.php/cPath/303_304_418/products_id/72 with CDs Bonny Cate and Lovely Nancy
Nick Barber's English Selection http://www.themusicroom-online.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=4944 with CDs Grand Chain and Oldham Rant
John Kirkpatrick's English Choice with CDs Garrick's Delight and Orlando's Return http://www.johnkirkpatrick.co.uk/shop2.asp

Howard
Saltarelle D/G, Hohner D/G, Hohner C/F, Dallape C/F, Hohner A/D, Gaillard G/C, Sagne D, Roland FR18D, Hohner Bb/Eb.

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2012, 10:15:22 PM »

Howard appears to have read my library!
I'd recommend Nick Barber's English Choice book and cd's as they have pretty common tunes, a lot of them will turn up at sessions.
Not sure about his other book, as I've not seen it, but have heard good reports.
I used Mally's Absolute Beginner's melodeon tutor which also has a cd that can accompany it. I found the tutor good and the tunes in it 'normal' tunes that are worth playing.
Hardcore and JK's books are both good, as are the accompanying cd's, though maybe less common tunes. The JK book and cd's  was this year's Christmas pressie and I'm really enjoying it, currently my favourite book to nose around in. I like his accompanying cd's too, nice to hear the maestro at work.
Q

Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

oggiesnr

• Dino BPII, Alfred Arnold Bandoneon, Loffet G/C
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2012, 10:40:35 PM »

My one caveat would be don't limit yourself to CDs of melodeon music so "Rig a Jig" and "Ranting and Reeling" from Topic's Voice of the People collection would be on my list.  Likewise Scan Tester's "I never played for no posh dances" is a great listen. 

If you can find them the William Kimber morris tunes and other Topic Lps (eg Boscastle Breakdown) are a great resource.

Steve

Just discovered that Boscastle Breakdown and East Anglia Country Music are now available (with a whole host of other classics) as digital downloads.  Details on the Topic Records site.  This could get expensive!
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 10:51:38 PM by oggiesnr »

Steve C.

• Erica, Laura, Morse Anglo
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2012, 02:04:32 PM »

and although he was apparently too modest to mention it, Geo. Garside has a good beginner book that many have found helpful...
Located in Central North Carolina, USA; credit for picture: livingplanet.ca
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal