Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Hokay, whats the "Black Dot" about ?  (Read 10974 times)

Adam-T

• Hohner Club-Too
Hokay, whats the "Black Dot" about ?
« on: May 26, 2012, 05:32:24 PM »

Hokay folks just HAD to ask, someone Must have before and I`m sure everyone knows this except me - so here goes ..

Whats the whole "Black Dot" thing about with the Double Ray ? . normally a funny feeling (or looking) button on button boxes denotes a Unisonoric button or "Gleichton" but the curvy shaped pearloid Double Ray is just semitone tuned Erica, Right? (I`m sure I`ve seen semitone tuned actual Ericas but not in B/C) so why the confusing black button? , it's not even the Start button, in fact it`s exactly where the "Gleichton" would be if Hohner were to put one on the outer Row.....

BTW don`t lose the "Gleichton" off your Club-3 , it could be mistaken for a lemon flavoured Rowntrees Fruit gum..
Q: How do you cure MAD?
A: Take a Break from Mel-Net. (IF YOU CAN)

Bill Young

• Paolo Soprani BCC#
Re: Hokay, whats the "Black Dot" about ?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2012, 06:21:43 PM »

It's the start button of the B row. Cf the Hohner Trichord, which has black buttons on the B,C and C# buttons on the respective rows. Better than the colour is the cross hatching - it just lets you know where you are. Possibly the brainchild of Charles Forbes, Dundee, who commissioned the Double Ray from Hohner in the 1930s.

strad

• Respected Sage
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2012, 08:30:39 PM »

Have found the cross-hatched buttons useful locators, no matter what state I'm in!!

Nigel

Adam-T

• Hohner Club-Too
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2012, 08:41:16 PM »

I didn`t realise that the B row was button SIX Start, but then I never got on with the B-Row when I had a B/C hence the D/G pokerwork and a 1 row in C ..

Funny how they used the black dot for the start of the B row and not the C row and the Erica doesn`t have anything .... Clubs of course have cross hatching on the "Gleichton". it`d be more use on the Start buttons given the extra accidentals on the 30 button Club models but it`s useful wherever it is.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2012, 08:43:05 PM by Adam-T »

mory

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2012, 09:06:11 PM »

It is the second octave B on the B row and nicely placed as the centre button visually ( which it couldn't be on the 10 button C row), you get the same on the double ray deluxe AtB mory

Adam-T

• Hohner Club-Too
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2012, 09:51:14 PM »

It is the second octave B on the B row and nicely placed as the centre button visually ( which it couldn't be on the 10 button C row), you get the same on the double ray deluxe AtB mory

Double ray deluxe being a Corso .. still odd why the different naming and the black button - why aren`t they all just Ericas and Corsos and all have (or not) a black button ? .

Bill Young

• Paolo Soprani BCC#
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2012, 10:12:45 PM »

The Double Ray Black Dot was introduced in the 1930s; the Erica in 1955,  so what's your point here? Have you tried addressing your question to Hohner?

FlatNote

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2012, 10:44:02 PM »

An indication of the central key button on a row with an odd number of buttons is a good idea, particularly if it is tactile as well as visual.  So making the 6th button on the outside row of a 21 button Erica in some way distinct might, indeed, not be a bad thing from a player's point of view.  Perhaps Hohner don't do it precisely so that an Erica will look different from a BlackDot. Although very similar in all other respects they typically do have quite different types of tuning system and a visual indication of which class the box falls into is not a bad idea from the marketing point of view.

Adam-T

• Hohner Club-Too
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2012, 07:49:55 AM »

The Double Ray Black Dot was introduced in the 1930s; the Erica in 1955,  so what's your point here? Have you tried addressing your question to Hohner?

The Erika was "Erica" of the square original Double ray period so the two lines have run side by side from early days. my point is merely one of curiosity .. I guess the answer really is that no one really knows why the difference between the respective models, I just thought there`d be some history to it or something especially as you can buy other Hohner boxes in a host of different keys without visible difference . I have Emailed Hohner in the past and got no reply..

I know that Hohner do all sorts of things, there are numerous PAs from their past which are the same model but a different name and they mix and match parts wherever too (for instance my Atlantic has Morino reeds in but not all did) but the Black dot business always intrigued me ..
« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 08:04:10 AM by Adam-T »

mory

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2012, 09:59:50 AM »

Double ray deluxe being a Corso .. still odd why the different naming and the black button - why aren`t they all just Ericas and Corsos and all have (or not) a black button ? .
double ray deluxe being a double ray deluxe, if it was a corso it would be a corso  ;)
« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 11:48:42 AM by mory »

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2012, 10:17:38 AM »

The Erika was "Erica" of the square original Double ray period
Not really, they are different models with almost every component being a different size. True there is a family resemblance, buy probably the only interchangeable part between Erika and Erica is the buttons, and the strap brackets. :o

Hohner's naming scheme is a complete shambles with isolated areas of logic, but trying to learn anything useful from similar names is a waste of time.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Ebor_fiddler

• Chris
  • Hohner 1040 C One-Row, Sandpiper D/G, Liliput C/F
    • Ebor Morris
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2012, 10:45:37 AM »

We humans eh?
I'm a Yorkie!
My other melodeon's a fiddle, but one of my Hohners has six strings! I also play a very red Hawkins Bazaar in C and a generic Klingenthaler spoon bass in F.!! My other pets (played) are gobirons - Hohner Marine Band in C, Hohner Tremolo in D and a Chinese Thingy Tremolo in G.

Adam-T

• Hohner Club-Too
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2012, 12:06:48 PM »

Hohner's naming scheme is a complete shambles with isolated areas of logic

LOL - great explanation . PA models are a total mixup. and Yeah, Ebor, I`m as human as it gets ;) to my disadvantage sometimes.

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2012, 09:29:48 PM »

There was a tutor book (probably by Forbes of Dundee) for the B/C Double Ray.
It was called "The Black Dot System" - so there you have it  (:)
Rees Wesson (accordion builder and mechanic)
Gungrog, Welshpool, Wales, UK
www.melodeons.com

Mutt

• Melodiate
  • Good talker
  • D/G Saltarelle Infeno, D/G Club IIb, A/D Pokerwork
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2012, 07:23:39 PM »

. . . in fact it`s exactly where the "Gleichton" would be if Hohner were to put one on the outer Row.....

I read, years ago, that originally it WAS a Gleichtone. I wish I could remember my source.  :(
George Knight
Anchorage, Alaska
Yes, brrrrrrr!

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2012, 07:37:13 PM »

It's worse than a useless ornament in my opinion: ugly for starters and I hate the feel of the cross-hatching under my fingers. Do they come off easily?

Mike R is doing a spot of after-sales tweaking on my Rowbotham special D-R at the moment, and I've asked him to move the black button to the highest note of the outside row. (Get it out of the way _and_, since it will be invisible there, make the rows look symmetrical with the extra low button Mike retrofitted to the inside row.)    8)

Adam-T

• Hohner Club-Too
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2012, 08:33:21 PM »

You should be able to get a normal button from Charlie Marshall, Theo may even have a few yellowed old ones about to match the others (depending on how old your box is of course) ..

I didn`t know the later ones (the ones without the swastika) had a cross-hatched button, I thought they were just like the rest but black.

The comical thing is that Club boxes which actually have a button which behaves different to the rest make do with a same colour button ! (Cross hatched of course but the same colour)

Christopher K.

• Content Manager
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2012, 10:47:04 PM »

That's a nice looking keyboard. Those might be real MOP buttons and so the gleichton is only cross-hatched, not dyed. I have an old 30s Club with MOP buttons of uniform color and no hatching on the gleichton at all.

Personally, I like the Double-Ray's single black key. There's something pleasingly deliberate about its placement and I enjoy its visual effect, the way it is set off by black keyboard cover, gold tape and paint, red celluloid and white buttons. A black DR Deluxe with black pearl keys and a red dot would be cool, too. I've seen photographs of a few accordions, I want to say they were Jorginas, that had darker buttons for the accidentals at the end of the keyboard. Those looked cool, too.

Adam-T

• Hohner Club-Too
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2012, 07:05:45 AM »

That's a nice looking keyboard. Those might be real MOP buttons and so the gleichton is only cross-hatched, not dyed.

I honestly don`t know what they`re made of, whatever it is, it seems to go all the way through the button . Regarding the Black Dot, I guess there`s one really good excuse for it - you can tell which box is B/C and which is D/G in a dark pub after a few pints when writing is a blur so you don`t grab the Erica by mistake  ;D

malcolmbebb

• In dampest Dorset, on the soggy south coast.
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2012, 08:32:46 AM »

I have an old 30s Club with MOP buttons of uniform color and no hatching on the gleichton at all.

What (in this context!) is MOP?
Dino BPII.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire."
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal