Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Carel Kraayenhof bandoneón virtuoso  (Read 3554 times)

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
Carel Kraayenhof bandoneón virtuoso
« on: April 21, 2012, 08:01:27 AM »

Thanks Adam, considered joining you but new thread looks appropriate. Here's another one, gleaned from EJ's fruitful facebook stream

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGcOhNu0Yr0
  Leading Bandoneónista Carel Kraayenhof premièred his new show, "Pure" on 24 Sept.
  He lined up with his Kraayenhof Tango Ensemble to play Tango Nuevo style.
  The piece Il Postino is a Luis Bacalov composition.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=ls_LfpKu6T4 "Solitude"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=bth7mMHzf3Y "Oblivion"

Introspective stuff!  Quite lvely though. I find him reminiscent of Richard Galliano, but I guess it's just the mood music element.   Does anyone here actually own a bandoneón?  And is any discussion of its music better on concertina.net - perhaps in their duet enclosure?
  _       _    _      _ 

ceemonster

• Regular debater
Re: Carel Kraayenhof bandoneón virtuoso
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 06:08:35 AM »

you can go to cnet and search.  it gets discussed now and again, but not often or at great length....

i own one. i'm very preoccupied with cba, though.  but every four months i get it out and  limp through a few chromatic and diatonic scales using a notebook of colored diagrams i spent about five weeks making, color-coded for the different octaves, with a sub-color for each direction within that octave. i DO think it is learnable, more learnable than generally assumed.  it is not that hard to work out spare but lovely-sounding, light bass vamping on the left side that could go with gorgeous single-melody line old-style tango or french musette melodies on the right, which is really all i'd really be looking to do, not interested in that heavily chordal, classical-voiced bando style...... but that's not to say it isn't a Very Big Undertaking.  it IS a VBU indeed.

there is a bandoneon group on yahoo that is quite active.  you can go on there and read for hours. the people are very nice and there is a lot of intel there....

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 07:15:13 AM »

Gosh, the 'other instruments' forum is almost exploding with bandoneón posts! Glad to hear about the other forum, or we'd have to start one here (just joking, Theo).

Yes, the sound can be heavy, but that's sort of what it's about>  :|glug
  _       _    _      _ 

ceemonster

• Regular debater
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2012, 03:37:32 AM »

hmmm....now, my understanding is that mr. galliano (whose wonderful cd of nino rota music i just got) plays unisonoric bando, as does also-wonderful olivier manoury and also-wonderful william sabatier, a protege or pupil of manoury. they're all on the 'tube, wonderful stuff...i had thought ckraayenhof was unisonoric also after reading an article on him that said he played English Concertina and accordion before bandoneon. often that means, their bando is unisonoric.   but, though i've never seen it stated explicitly which he plays, watching the clips and trying to discern, seems to be bisonoric....?

oggiesnr

• Dino BPII, Alfred Arnold Bandoneon, Loffet G/C
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2012, 03:15:43 PM »

hmmm....now, my understanding is that mr. galliano (whose wonderful cd of nino rota music i just got) plays unisonoric bando, as does also-wonderful olivier manoury and also-wonderful william sabatier, a protege or pupil of manoury. they're all on the 'tube, wonderful stuff...i had thought ckraayenhof was unisonoric also after reading an article on him that said he played English Concertina and accordion before bandoneon. often that means, their bando is unisonoric.   but, though i've never seen it stated explicitly which he plays, watching the clips and trying to discern, seems to be bisonoric....?

The fingering looks bisonoric to me.

Steve

Andrel

• Regular debater
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2012, 04:13:05 PM »

Since we're talking about bandoneon virtuosos, here's a fellow that I find absolutely stunning, both on the accordion and the bandoneon:
Emir Bosnjak
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xA9ADnZk3KM

Another one, also very impressive is Mika Väyrynen, from Finland.
Bertrand Gaillard D/C#, Acadian in C, Castagnari Ciacy
B/C, Castagnari Sharon D/C#

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2012, 11:31:14 AM »

This chaps my favourite bandoneon player by quite a long way - Eric Theze

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4ZVrXbBjF4

Nothing technically flash, but musicality just drips out of his music; worth having a look at his video channel - there's also some lovely piano stuff there too.

ceemonster

• Regular debater
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2012, 02:56:35 AM »

that is nice...this is the style i was talking about wishing to attempt....very spare, light rhythmic bass with a lovely melody.....

i listen to this one a lot....
http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/davidsonjaurena

the tangueros use the term "guardia vieja," or old-guard, for the more old-school, early dance-hall based tango style i love....say, late 1800s to 1930s, before the technique and voicing arrangements got classicalized with the vibrato and up-the-neck violin stuff and the orchestral arrangements and the heavily chordal bando voicings...your man eric sounds very guardia vieja....lovely stuff, just the kind of thing i really like...
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 03:06:33 AM by ceemonster »

OwenG

• Respected Sage
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2012, 01:28:46 PM »

Nothing technically flash, but musicality just drips out of his music; worth having a look at his video channel - there's also some lovely piano stuff there too.

He has a website here (http://ezethe.blogspot.co.uk/) which has some notation of his tunes (look under Partitions).

My current favourite is Daniele Di Bonaventura (http://www.danieledibonaventura.com/)
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 01:37:39 PM by OwenG »

oggiesnr

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2012, 08:18:54 PM »

Lovely music but the videos are IMHO a lesson in how not to do videos (OK I lost patience after five of them).

I think he also benefits because he's not playing tango music and he's playing the full instrument on both push and pull.  Again I'm biased because that's how I play   (:)

Steve

Andrel

• Regular debater
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2012, 08:54:33 PM »

I agree with the push and pull thing. Too many bandoneon players who favour playing on the draw sound like surfacing whales when they hit the air valve. Annoying.
Bertrand Gaillard D/C#, Acadian in C, Castagnari Ciacy
B/C, Castagnari Sharon D/C#

Adam-T

• Hohner Club-Too
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2012, 09:03:33 PM »

The music is superb, I love the bandoneon musically though there`s no way I`d be able to play one even if you could find the damn things.
Q: How do you cure MAD?
A: Take a Break from Mel-Net. (IF YOU CAN)

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2012, 09:08:00 PM »

Wonderful stuff.  I've not heard Eric Theze before.   Does he have any CDs?
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Andy Simpson

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2012, 09:31:02 PM »

That's beautiful, thank you.

It sounds to me like his instrument is unisonoric, does anyone know whether it is or not?.

I've stopped fighting it and finally acknowledged that I'm suffering from full-blown BAD; the only thing for it now is to get hold of one...
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 09:33:50 PM by Andy Simpson »

Adam-T

• Hohner Club-Too
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2012, 10:02:59 PM »

I'll never be able to play one .. I'll never be able to play one .. I'll never be able to play one .. I'll never be able to play one .. I'll never be able to play one .. I'll never be able to play one .. I'll never be able to play one .. I'll never be able to play one .. I'll never be able to play one .. ......

There Done it . BAD is vanquished for Good !! .............. BTW, totally unrelated, how does one register with E-Bay Germany in English just in case I need, err, some, err bits for that, errm, Saxony Concertina I have lurking abiout somewhere .

oggiesnr

« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2012, 10:45:06 PM »

I'll never be able to play one .. I'll never be able to play one .. I'll never be able to play one .. I'll never be able to play one .. I'll never be able to play one .. I'll never be able to play one .. I'll never be able to play one .. I'll never be able to play one .. I'll never be able to play one .. ......

There Done it . BAD is vanquished for Good !! .............. BTW, totally unrelated, how does one register with E-Bay Germany in English just in case I need, err, some, err bits for that, errm, Saxony Concertina I have lurking abiout somewhere .

Wrong!  There is just enough of it that makes sense (if you play push/pull) that you can make a start if you can play the dusty end of a melodeon or an anglo.  From there on you just learn the notes as you start to need them.

However this approach does assume that you are not playing from piano scores or in obtuse keys.  If you are then it's a tedious job learning the keyboard and the different fingerings etc.

I play english music, some french and a few other bits on mine plus song accompaniments.  My approach has worked fine and I still don't know all the keyboard but each year I know a little more.

Steve

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2012, 10:58:43 PM »

Yes, but I think you can only get them from the man himself! I got his CD "Troisieme Ange" at Gennetines where (when I went a few years ago) he used to play each year; he probably still does. His dances were always a highlight and that CD is just exquisite.

You can actually hear the whole CD on his website, here: http://ezethe.blogspot.co.uk/p/enregistrements.html - it's the bottom panel on the page. Just press the play all tracks button, sit back and enjoy.

Cheers,

Clive

Adam-T

• Hohner Club-Too
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2012, 07:51:24 AM »

Wrong!  There is just enough of it that makes sense (if you play push/pull) that you can make a start if you can play the dusty end of a melodeon or an anglo.  From there on you just learn the notes as you start to need them.

I gathered that would be the case with the BiSonorics and that the Unisonoric ones would be something like playing an English, I was just (humourously) trying to convince myself out of searching for one due to the rarity in the UK and therefore price.....

Like the Melodeon did for years until I got one (and enjoying it immensely) it`ll end up as a case of "Pining disease" which can only end with the searching out of the Instrument at some stage in my life. (I`m natively a Synth / PA player) . some stick like the Melodeon, some don`t like the Harmonica & Mandolin, the Anglo is on trial (have 2 clunkers, a near new Chinese which sounds good but the needs more constant attention than an Oberheim and a Krappenthal Scholer which is reliable but too wheezy despite no leaks) the Unisonoric English variety yet to try .
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 07:55:53 AM by Adam-T »

Nick Hudis

• Respected Sage
  • Loffet Pro 18, Castagnari Casta
    • Themassageman
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2012, 08:25:02 AM »

Try

http://ezethe.blogspot.co.uk/

Many of his tunes work well on a a 3 row 18 bass box particularly if you've got an LM option.  Much of his output is in the same mold as Stephane Delicq my other all time fave.  His recorded output I find a little variable in quality, at his best he is among the best but there are some distinctly odd tracks too.

Nick
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal