Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Theme of the Month for June 2012: Write a Tune!  (Read 18783 times)

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
Theme of the Month for June 2012: Write a Tune!
« on: June 01, 2012, 12:42:00 AM »

OK folks, it's back - we did this a couple of years ago (that long? Blimey), and I think it's high time we tried it again! Here's the plan:

How about having a go at writing a new tune, recording it and sharing it with us all? If you've never done this sort of thing before, here's your excuse to give it a try!

I'm sure there'll be plenty of interesting discussion about how to go about this, but here's a few starting thoughts.

- Try making up a tune in your head; whistle/hum it to yourself, record yourself singing it (just for you of course - so you don't forget it!) before you go anywhere near picking up a melodeon.

- A completely different approach. Come up with a time signature (waltz/reel/....) that you like. Mess around on the bass end of a melodeon and come up with a chord sequence you like. Write a chunk of melody to fit the chord sequence.

- If you're lucky enough to be able to play a different instrument (piano, etc), try doodling on that. When you come up with something you like... record yourself again, before you pick up the melodeon. And then learn to play it on the melodeon!

Good luck! Give it a try; you may have a undiscovered talent!

Cheers,

Clive

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
Re: Theme of the Month for June 2012: Write a Tune!
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2012, 07:55:08 AM »

Another June tune  :o
"The First of June" which I wrote for ToTM in 2010 has now been paired up with another of mine called "The Essex Girl", is part of our regular session repertoire and has made it on to an album that Mary and I recorded recently and will be out very soon!

And Clive - your Parsley's Hornpipe is now in use by Pig Dyke Molly.

Have any other of June 2010's tunes grown up and developed lives of their own?

Good advice up there on how go go about it. One of the odd things about tune writing is that it gets easier if you make limitations. Decide quite arbitrarily, for example, that it's got to be a Mazurka in A minor and the job's half done! Or take a bar or two from a tune you like, and grow a new one around it. Or write a palindromic tune...
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2012, 11:11:49 AM »

And Clive - your Parsley's Hornpipe is now in use by Pig Dyke Molly.

Blimey! I'm dead chuffed!  (:)

squeezer

• Pokerwork, Conn 3 D/G, Pastourelle 3 c/f, Ocean 18
    • Also known as ceilidh band
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2012, 03:57:55 PM »

Heres one I prepared earlier, its called the lock keeper

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oM-MdolTATs

will see if I can put a waltz or two up next week, but Chippenham calls

Squeezer

AirTime

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2012, 05:40:29 PM »

Here's a tune I recorded a couple of weeks ago.    As you may be able to tell, I didn't have a clue how I was going to finish it off at the end & I ... err ... improvised! I actually think it sounds better a little higher on my BbEb Hohner, so I'll try & post another version with an actual ending!  :||:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tSZlpMAqbo
1920's BbEb Hohner; 1920's  AD Koch; 1910 (?) One-row Hohner in D,  1910's GCB Maga Ercole; ; AD 1950's Pistelli, CF Sandpiper, CF Preciosa, BbEb Preciosa.

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2012, 08:05:28 AM »

OK, here's one of mine I use fairly regularly playing for ceilidhs.  This particular recording I had to hand as it's one I did some years ago in collaboration with the guitarist I was working with at the time - hence the guitar "feature" in the last two turns but one. The box is the good old faithful Pastourelle II. http://soundcloud.com/mrkoilani/the-phantom-lobster

Graham
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

folkbluesnbeyond

• Respected Sage
    • Folkbluesnbeyond
Re: Theme of the Month for June 2012: Write a Tune!Starlings Leap
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2012, 12:43:26 PM »

Written yesterday morning, third ever tune wot i have writ, last one in Dec 1983.

http://youtu.be/BXt4aaoVjok

Wrote it on guitar and then tidied up the loose ends and worked out what key it was really in.
Aimed for a tune that would work on 4 stop etc as says in the blurb on YT

If I have managed the technology a PDF of the dots should be attached.

All the best

Bill

ioang

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2012, 06:34:43 PM »

In the time honoured tradition of me writing a song that's too hard for me to actually play properly here's my first submission to Melnet. You'll notice I only successfully play it once through, but hopefully you'll get the picture. I wrote it this afternoon, after I got back from Chippenham.

It would have been a video but I'm a bit unsightly after a weekend camping in the rain!

http://soundcloud.com/ioanmcavoy/chippenham-jig

jackson10

• Good talker
  • Double Ray
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2012, 12:15:30 PM »

Here's a tune I recorded a couple of weeks ago.    As you may be able to tell, I didn't have a clue how I was going to finish it off at the end & I ... err ... improvised! I actually think it sounds better a little higher on my BbEb Hohner, so I'll try & post another version with an actual ending!  :||:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tSZlpMAqbo

A very nice tune. I like that sound of the lower notes but would be interested to hear the difference on the BbEb.

Strigulino

• The Night Owl
  • @strigulino on Twitter
    • Strig on YouTube
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2012, 02:49:59 PM »

Might well give this a go, although I do worry about writing something that sounds exactly like some tune already extant.  I'm sure you'll all tell me if so.  :D
~~~~~~~~~~~
The Strig

"World-famous poker player. Give her a good poker and she'll play any tune you like." - The Goon Show
Pets:  Two cats, one husband, a D/G Hohner Morgane, a C/F Liliput, a dark and mysterious anglo concertina, a Streb, a Giordy...

AirTime

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2012, 08:44:38 PM »

Might well give this a go, although I do worry about writing something that sounds exactly like some tune already extant.

My thought exactly. It seems highly improbable that, given the limited possibilities present on a melodeon, I would come up with something nobody has ever punched up before! Whatever ... doodling on a melodeon's fun!  :||:
1920's BbEb Hohner; 1920's  AD Koch; 1910 (?) One-row Hohner in D,  1910's GCB Maga Ercole; ; AD 1950's Pistelli, CF Sandpiper, CF Preciosa, BbEb Preciosa.

Matt (Kings Norton)

• Respected Sage
  • West Midlands, UK
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2012, 09:10:38 AM »

http://soundcloud.com/i-k-3/sounds-from-wednesday-night

OK then, here we go - very hesitant, very simple, not very original, sounds like I'm making it up as I go along but that's what happens when I press record.  But I am inspired by all these top quality tunes that people have submitted.  On a 1040 pokerwork.  Bianca in Osdorp.

AirTime

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2012, 05:19:52 PM »

OK then, here we go - very hesitant, very simple, not very original, sounds like I'm making it up as I go along but that's what happens when I press record.  But I am inspired by all these top quality tunes that people have submitted.  On a 1040 pokerwork.  Bianca in Osdorp.

I enjoyed it!  (:)

AirTime

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2012, 05:31:36 PM »

Here's the same tune played on my vintage BbEb Hohner:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1dNv6-HB90&feature=plcp

chouston14

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2012, 07:07:12 PM »

Beltuna Sara 3 G/C

jackson10

• Good talker
  • Double Ray
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2012, 10:50:39 AM »

Here's the same tune played on my vintage BbEb Hohner:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1dNv6-HB90&feature=plcp

Sounds great that way too!

pikey

• Addicted to squeezeboxes since 1975
  • Thread mod
  • If it moves, I'll squeeze it....
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2012, 06:42:40 PM »

This has been in my head for a while, and has now emerged. It came from the realisation that beginners try to play tunes that are far too complex - players of other instruments, like 'cello, fiddle, piano, start by learning how to play scales and arpeggios.

So here it is , a simple jig in G mostly using scales.  It can also be sued to practice playing at the 'dusty' end  ;D (see video).

Played on a Hohner Club II, reeds fettled and tuned to D/G by Theo. This is it's first outing on Melnet.

I've named the tune in honour of the ups and downs of the Pasty tax and Caravan tax - it's called Osborne's Mistake  >:E

Enjoy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6KMxLIpfsI
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 02:36:14 PM by pikey »
Still squeezing after all these years.
Mostly on hohners , with a couple of Dinos and a smattering of anglos - and now a Jeffries duet

Ebor_fiddler

• Chris
  • Hohner 1040 C One-Row, Sandpiper D/G, Liliput C/F
    • Ebor Morris
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2012, 06:46:49 PM »

Sued to practice?  >:E
I'm a Yorkie!
My other melodeon's a fiddle, but one of my Hohners has six strings! I also play a very red Hawkins Bazaar in C and a generic Klingenthaler spoon bass in F.!! My other pets (played) are gobirons - Hohner Marine Band in C, Hohner Tremolo in D and a Chinese Thingy Tremolo in G.

pikey

• Thread mod
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2012, 06:56:07 PM »

Pils of the tongue......
Mostly on hohners , with a couple of Dinos and a smattering of anglos - and now a Jeffries duet

pikey

• Thread mod
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2012, 01:19:25 PM »

:D thanks Matt, I'm honoured
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal