Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Tune of the Month for June 2012: Galopede  (Read 21166 times)

Mcgrooger

• Northern Roots
Re: Tune of the Month for June 2012: Galopede
« Reply #40 on: June 10, 2012, 08:04:13 PM »

Hi folks.  Here's mine, at last!
Cheers
Mike    :||:
Nicely played Mike. And very nice of you to namecheck my version. Cheers! (:)

Owen Woods

• melodeonmusic.com
    • The website and blog of Owen Woods
« Reply #41 on: June 10, 2012, 08:32:31 PM »

Here's my version of this; nothing much different to the many excellent versions we've had so far, but this one's in on the Bb/Eb preciosa so comes out in Eb.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLOh42FOVoA

Cheers,

Clive

Love this version.
Bergflodt D/G 4 voice, Saltarelle Bouebe D/G, Super Preciosa D/Em, Hohner Impiliput B/C+C#

Latest blog post: In Any Weather

http://melodeonmusic.com/blog

Mike Carney

• In sunny Sheffield
« Reply #42 on: June 10, 2012, 09:29:55 PM »

Here's my version of this; nothing much different

Cheers,

Clive
Are you kidding?  What a great, atmospheric interpretation.
Mike

smiley

• Folk music: it's not as bad as it sounds
    • a few sound clips
« Reply #43 on: June 11, 2012, 05:31:17 AM »

At bush dances in Australia the Galopede tune played for the dance called the Galopede goes like this: http://soundcloud.com/dogbox/galopede

The dance is a good starter to get people up on their feet, and the tune gets played at a lively pace if the younger dancers want to whoop it up. It's the first tune in a medley that usually lasts for a while until they've had enough. I don't know any other name for this tune - does anyone else have a name for it?

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #44 on: June 11, 2012, 11:35:29 AM »

Thanks folks - much appreciated. I did, as you do, experiment briefly with different modes and timings for this tune; couldn't find any I really liked, so it came out unchanged as a major reel. I think this comes down to how much I like the original tune - the ones I really like are the ones I leave more or less intact!

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
« Reply #45 on: June 11, 2012, 06:27:14 PM »

At bush dances in Australia the Galopede tune played for the dance called the Galopede goes like this: http://soundcloud.com/dogbox/galopede

The dance is a good starter to get people up on their feet, and the tune gets played at a lively pace if the younger dancers want to whoop it up. It's the first tune in a medley that usually lasts for a while until they've had enough. I don't know any other name for this tune - does anyone else have a name for it?

What an interesting tune - it's got echoes of a number of other tunes in it (one phrase constantly reminds me of "The Sloe"), yet it's not a tune I've ever heard anywhere else.

Graham
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #46 on: June 11, 2012, 06:52:37 PM »

Nice tune, but how can you go wrong on a Hohner 4 stop 1 row?  ;)

As GPS says, echoes of several other tunes.

PS  - just transcribed it and Mary and I have been belting it out on two 1-rows - glorious fun!
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 07:25:16 PM by Anahata »
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

smiley

• Folk music: it's not as bad as it sounds
    • a few sound clips
« Reply #47 on: June 12, 2012, 11:51:08 AM »

PS  - just transcribed it and Mary and I have been belting it out on two 1-rows - glorious fun!

That evokes a pleasant domestic scene. I hope you didn't frighten the horses (:)

Sage Herb

• Steve Harrison
  • Slaithwaite, UK
    • The Black Box Band
« Reply #48 on: June 12, 2012, 03:16:10 PM »

In answer to Anahata’s question of a few days ago, here is one dance that goes under the ‘Galopede’ title. There are others, but I think this may be the most common, in England at any rate. Maybe this version requires a plain hornpipe-ish interpretation of the tune. Nice simple ceilidh stuff anyway.
(longways sets of 5 or 6 couples)
A1 – hands in line, 4 rant steps (or maybe kick-balances) on spot, 4 more to cross, men making arches
A2 – repeat to place, women making arches
B1 – bottom couple arch, others cast out (still holding hands), under arch and to place
C1 – top couple swing to bottom
Hohner Erikas & Club 2s
Hohner gob-harps:
Vega Senator 5-string banjo; Alex Burns plectrum guitar

Black Box Band - www.theblackboxband.co.uk
Annie Dearman & Steve Harrison - www.dearmanharrison.co.uk
Phoenix - www.phoenixdanceband.co.uk
http://soundcloud.com/sage-herb

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #49 on: June 12, 2012, 04:10:57 PM »

Thanks. So as I expected: 32 bar AABC is correct at least for that Galopede dance.
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Graham Spencer

« Reply #50 on: June 12, 2012, 08:02:08 PM »

Extremely rough and unrehearsed version done with a misbehaving webcam - best I can manage at present owing to lack of time. Still, better than nothing,,,,,  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yoTMIlHOT0&feature=youtu.be  I am acutely aware, having watched it, that it starts at a reasonable pace and speeds up about halfway through the second time through. I'll try to do a better, less hurried job before the end of the month.

(Incidentally, it is pure coincidence that I seem to be wearing the same T-shirt & shorts as in my last 3 video postings; I do have other clothes, and will try to wear something else next time!)

Graham
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 08:13:36 PM by GPS »
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Peter Savage

• Respected Sage
« Reply #51 on: June 13, 2012, 07:14:01 AM »

Excellent Graham!  I enjoyed that version a lot.

Spikey

• Regular debater
  • NZ
« Reply #52 on: June 15, 2012, 06:06:22 AM »

Have really enjoyed all the versions so far - this was a bit like Planxty Irwin in that I didn’t know the tune before but have come to really like it.

I will dispense with my usual apologies, suffice to say it is a beginner’s attempt...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26n8WuGhO2E

Recorded on a cold winter’s morning in the Southern hemisphere on a G/C Pokerwork that, surprisingly, we managed to put back together after re-facing the pallets and it still plays – thanks to all the advice on here (:).  And the G/C has a fantastic deep sound – the lower range makes your ribs vibrate :o.

Daddy Long Les

• Forum Librarian
    • Daddy Long Les
« Reply #53 on: June 15, 2012, 07:20:18 AM »

Have really enjoyed all the versions so far - this was a bit like Planxty Irwin in that I didn’t know the tune before but have come to really like it.

I will dispense with my usual apologies, suffice to say it is a beginner’s attempt...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26n8WuGhO2E

Recorded on a cold winter’s morning in the Southern hemisphere on a G/C Pokerwork that, surprisingly, we managed to put back together after re-facing the pallets and it still plays – thanks to all the advice on here (:).  And the G/C has a fantastic deep sound – the lower range makes your ribs vibrate :o.

This is great Spikey. Imaginative use of harmonies and sensitively played on the GC. Got to love the mittens as well!! Thanks for posting! (:)
Castagnari Lily DG, Dino Baffetti Binci DG, Hohner Erica DG, Hohner Erica GC, Hohner Liliput Bb Eb, Sybilla Brand GCF, Hohner Compadre ADG, Hohner 4 stop in C

Daddy Long Les

• Forum Librarian
    • Daddy Long Les
« Reply #54 on: June 15, 2012, 07:24:47 AM »

Fairly straight rendition but played on my Hohner Banderica

http://youtu.be/3W_9rgE-fFY

Really nice Lester.  Like the octave split on the Banderica. Slightly worried about the bottle of meths on the shelf!!!!! ;)
Castagnari Lily DG, Dino Baffetti Binci DG, Hohner Erica DG, Hohner Erica GC, Hohner Liliput Bb Eb, Sybilla Brand GCF, Hohner Compadre ADG, Hohner 4 stop in C

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #55 on: June 15, 2012, 07:26:37 AM »

Fairly straight rendition but played on my Hohner Banderica

http://youtu.be/3W_9rgE-fFY

Really nice Lester.  Like the octave split on the Banderica. Slightly worried about the bottle of meths on the shelf!!!!! ;)

I am, today, 100 days without alcohol, so fear not it is not my secret garden shed tipple  ;)

Sage Herb

• Steve Harrison
  • Slaithwaite, UK
    • The Black Box Band
« Reply #56 on: June 15, 2012, 08:55:41 AM »

Anahata says 'Thanks. So as I expected: 32 bar AABC is correct at least for that Galopede dance.'

Sure. But looking through what few 'old' sources I could easily access...
Gibbons (Lincs) 'Persion' (sic) has our A&C music only = 32 bars.
John Moore (Ironbridge) 'Persian Dance' has AABBCC = 48
Sharp from John Mason 'Persian Dance' has ABC = 24 bars
John Clare 'Persian Ricardo' has ABC = 24 bars
Preston's 24 Country Dances for 1801 'Persian Ricardo' has ABC = 24 bars
Wm Tildesley (Swinton, Lancs, c1860) 'Persian Ricardo' has AABBCC = 48

So pretty varied in practice. Apologies for any thread drift.
Hohner Erikas & Club 2s
Hohner gob-harps:
Vega Senator 5-string banjo; Alex Burns plectrum guitar

Black Box Band - www.theblackboxband.co.uk
Annie Dearman & Steve Harrison - www.dearmanharrison.co.uk
Phoenix - www.phoenixdanceband.co.uk
http://soundcloud.com/sage-herb

Graham Spencer

« Reply #57 on: June 15, 2012, 09:54:03 AM »

In answer to Anahata’s question of a few days ago, here is one dance that goes under the ‘Galopede’ title. There are others, but I think this may be the most common, in England at any rate. Maybe this version requires a plain hornpipe-ish interpretation of the tune. Nice simple ceilidh stuff anyway.
(longways sets of 5 or 6 couples)
A1 – hands in line, 4 rant steps (or maybe kick-balances) on spot, 4 more to cross, men making arches
A2 – repeat to place, women making arches
B1 – bottom couple arch, others cast out (still holding hands), under arch and to place
C1 – top couple swing to bottom

That's similar to, but not exactly the same as, the version collected by Sharp in 1909 from a Mr Hands, of Armscote, Warwickshire, which came with the version of the tune I play.

5 couple set

A1  In line, link elbows, forward & back, cross over into partner's place
A2  Repeat to place
B   Top couple swing down to bottom
C   All swing

"Stepped" throughout.

The version published in THe Country Dance Book differs slightly from the above, which came from field notes in the Vaughan Williams Library. (In the published version the last two figures are reversed and "join hands" is given as an alternative to "link elbows").

Graham

Mary Humphreys

• Mary Humphreys
« Reply #58 on: June 15, 2012, 12:16:08 PM »

I don't often have a go at tune of the month because the tunes are too difficult for a complete beginner like me. Not this one, though, thank goodness, although you will hear several wrong notes - apologies for them.
It has renewed my enthusiasm for playing the melodeon. Thank you Smiley for introducing me to the tune, which is now a complete maggot - I wake up hearing it.
http://youtu.be/QOvNpW6-mv0
Mary Humphreys

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #59 on: June 15, 2012, 12:19:23 PM »

Nice tune, but how can you go wrong on a Hohner 4 stop 1 row?  ;)

As GPS says, echoes of several other tunes.

Can you please share the transcription
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal