Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Soundcloud - thoughts?  (Read 1890 times)

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
Soundcloud - thoughts?
« on: June 02, 2012, 10:50:22 AM »

Hi All,
Just sort of nosing around........
I see several people are using Soundcloud. I was wondering why choose that instead of ( or maybe as well ) as using Youtube?
There's the obvious difference of seeing a player play on Youtube, but only listen to them on Soundcloud.......... possibly it's easier to record and upload to Soundcloud?
only guessing as never used it.

My interest has been awakened as I've now got a reasonable music recording device, mainly for tune grabs at sessions and festivals, but I'm now thinking it is also possible to record my tunes using it as well.
Thoughts anyone?
cheers
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
Re: Soundcloud - thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2012, 11:04:56 AM »

Soundcloud is nice and easy to use.  The biggest plus compared with youtube is the sound quality is consistently better.   Also you don't see the 'melodeon face'  ;D ;D
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Sandy Flett

• Accordion and Melodeon Blog
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2012, 11:06:18 AM »

SoundCloud is better for sound quality, presumably as it does not compress the file as much as YouTube does. Also, you can edit a sound file before upload without any tell-tale visual discontinuities like you get in edited video. And it takes just a few minutes to upload to SC, compared with up to an hour or so (with my broadband) to upload to YT.
DG Dino Baffetti Carnival II (plus accordions)
Accordion and Melodeon blog

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2012, 11:12:17 AM »

Hi there,
thanks....
I thought it might be the case that's it's better sound and easier to use.
Being a shy retiring type, I somehow manage to decapitate myself therefore avoiding 'melodeon face' on my rare outings into netland.  ;)
I do admit, it is nice to watch people playing as opposed to simply listening to them, I find I pick up lots of small things from watching people play, but 'nice and easy to use' sounds good to me!
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2012, 11:15:52 AM »

I'm a youtube fan myself; I like to see what's going on, and the iPhone/iPad apps, favourites, playlists etc are just so useful. I'm afraid I don't tend to listen to soundcloud files as much as I do youtube postings.

I can't honestly say I've noticed much difference between my youtube sound on my videos and original sound files; maybe that's just the formats I upload to. Youtube sound is noticeably better on 480p quality settings and above, rather than 320 and below though.

Clive

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2012, 11:23:28 AM »

Hi Clive,
I do know what you mean - Youtube is an assest for learning and I love watching.
I have started to mess around recording on my recorder as well as using the webcam. I've realised I can stich the two recordings together with MS Live Movie maker, provided I get them both synchronised!
Maybe I need to get my head around things as you've just mentioned - sound quality settings.
cheers
Q
Thrupenny Bit

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2012, 11:45:35 AM »

Yes, I tend to record them separately and synchronise the sound and video; it's not that hard, especially if you keep the  sound file recorded on the webcam doing the video and use that to synchronise the tracks together. You can then disable the webcam sound, and bob's your relative.

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2012, 12:20:02 PM »

Ermmm.... my grand total of 2 attempts so far are slightly more complicated.
I'm using an olympus 'dictaphone' LS3 recorder and so far I've simply plonked it in front of the pc, pressing the 'on' switch on the webcam and recorder. Then I've uploaded the sound file and stiched and synchronised using WLMM. Sounds far more complicated than it is - thank goodness!
It will allow me to tweak the sound if necessary. Last time I just used the webcam, it sounded sort of mushy ( technical term! ) so hopefully I can un-mush it if I need to.
Q
Thrupenny Bit

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2012, 12:27:55 PM »

I use YouTube because it seems to to be the convention on Melnet - nearly all my YouTube videos are Melnet ToTM postings.

I think vimeo.com probably gives better video and sound quality, but I continue to use YouTube for the same reason that people use Facebook for social networking - it's where everybody is (except me!)
I know from subscription and comments information, and from meeting viewers IRL that random people find my videos, presumably because  they go YouTube surfing though all the related links - I know I do!

Same for Soundcloud and the others - I get the feeling nobody would find you there unless you posted links in places like melnet. As for sound only uploads - if I just want to upload MP3s I can put them on my own web site where I have heaps of space.
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2012, 02:04:17 PM »

Yes, I think 'convention' is right, it's the way it's done on the site and we all play the 'Melnet' game and conform.
As I've said many times, it has been incredibly useful to watch people and aid me learning so Melnet is certainly getting it right. I'd hate to break that convention!
Thanks for the offer of hosting mps's too, most kind!
cheers
Q
Thrupenny Bit

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2012, 03:43:55 PM »

As I've said many times, it has been incredibly useful to watch people and aid me learning

Yup, that seems to the the standard reason for using video rather than just sound, and it does seem to appeal to lots of melnet members. It's always a disappointment when I see a video that just a sequence of still pictures, especially when I know that a non-video site would have given me better sound.

Thanks for the offer of hosting mps's too, most kind!

I wasn't offering a hosting service for others, just saying that's what I do if I need to put an MP3 on the web somewhere.
I could do that, though, if somebody really needs it.
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2012, 03:46:54 PM »

:|bl
Duhhhh.... sorry - misunderstood!
Q
Thrupenny Bit

Fsamuel

• Regular debater
  • Mory, Hohner 114, Morgane
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2012, 07:18:34 PM »

I use sound cloud because I mainly multitrack to WAV files, I can then convert to MP3 and upload and the drop in quality isn't too bad. The disadvantage is they only allow you so many minutes for free, so as I add new tunes I have to dump old ones.
I put all sorts of stuff on but i do like the french tunes, some dodgy, some less so. I am not up to videoing myself yet. Atherfield was done last night thanks to Daddy Long Les' blog, needs more work!
http://soundcloud.com/fsamuel100

Sandy

• 'Musical Landlady'
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2012, 09:23:36 PM »

I use Soundcloud and You Tube. Had time issues due to techie problems and couldn't always video things so Soundcloud worked well. With You Tube, I hate seeing a video of myself playing but know how much I gain from seeing other players video...and sometimes you can catch or see the 'feel of play'  which is so much more instructional than just hearing it....or am I on planet Zob ?  ::)

Cheers

Sandy

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2012, 09:57:26 AM »

Sandy and jb: Yes, seeing playing is so helpful.
A while back I've started to use Firefox as it allows me to download Youtube videos onto my ipod. Curled up on the settee in front of the woodburner wearing a set of headphones is a brilliant way to really watch and listen whilst the rest of the family watch some rubbish on the tv. Everyone's happy!
Now having the ability to record independantly from the pc I can see that Soundcloud is useful in a different way.
Looks like there's room for both methods of recording you and your tunes.
Q
Thrupenny Bit

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal