Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Advice for a 3rd melodeon  (Read 2360 times)

Pierre B

• Good talker
  • Weltmeister BC and AD
Advice for a 3rd melodeon
« on: June 02, 2012, 02:26:53 PM »

Hi to all,
Don't know if I'm in the right forum. A Buy/Sell member suggested to post here.

I have a GCF melodeon for playing mostly French music and a BC one for Irish/Quebecois music. Now I'm considerint buying a 2 row melodeon, but don't know exactly wich key. I tought of an AD box. What key would complete my current keys (and may be also for Eastern European music)?
Thank you and happy boxing.
Pierre, Montreal, Canada
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 01:44:04 AM by Pierre B »

george garside

Re: Advice for a 3rd melodeon
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2012, 06:02:04 PM »

not sure why you want an AD box  when the BC is perfectly at home in those  keys amd more.  if you want  another wo row it may be worth considering a CC# as this would give you  an easy Bb.Eb, and Ab  using the same fingering as you would for G D & A on the BC box.  You could of course go for a BCC# and have all 12 keys in one box !

george
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2012, 06:10:56 PM »

I was going to ask a similar question to George.  What do you want to play that you can't do on what you already have?   I guess that the BC or GCF could work well for Eastern European music.

And in what sense would AD complete the keys?   You still wouldn't have a box with a row in Bflat, Eflat, Aflat E or F#, and in theory you could play any of those on the BC?

Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2012, 12:22:51 AM »

I have a GCF melodeon for playing mostly French music and a BC one for Irish/Quebecois music.

B/C is a very unusual choice for québécois music. In fact I haven't come across or heard of anyone using one in a quarter-century of hanging around musicians from Montreal and the environs. (A friend of mine has a B/C but he got it specifically for Irish music; for the Québéc repertoire, his main interest, he plays a one-row D very well.)  I know two players with C#/D machines and there a few more than that using D/C# (including Denis Pepin and André Bouchard).

A/D is in fact not an uncommon choice for players who want something more than a one-row Québécois music, at least it was in the past. Nowadays I think the trend is towards D/C# and 1½-row 4-voice boxes.

I would suggest that if you want to explore the québécois repertoire in traditional style, forget the AD and get a one-row or a 1½ row in D. Keep the B/C for Irish and stuff you can't do on either a D box or a GCF.   

Owen Woods

• melodeonmusic.com
    • The website and blog of Owen Woods
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2012, 01:05:26 AM »

I have a GCF melodeon for playing mostly French music and a BC one for Irish/Quebecois music.

B/C is a very unusual choice for québécois music. In fact I haven't come across or heard of anyone using one in a quarter-century of hanging around musicians from Montreal and the environs. (A friend of mine has a B/C but he got it specifically for Irish music; for the Québéc repertoire, his main interest, he plays a one-row D very well.)  I know two players with C#/D machines and there a few more than that using D/C# (including Denis Pepin and André Bouchard).

A/D is in fact not an uncommon choice for players who want something more than a one-row Québécois music, at least it was in the past. Nowadays I think the trend is towards D/C# and 1½-row 4-voice boxes.

I would suggest that if you want to explore the québécois repertoire in traditional style, forget the AD and get a one-row or a 1½ row in D. Keep the B/C for Irish and stuff you can't do on either a D box or a GCF.

I could have sworn that Yves Lambert played a B/C, based on when I saw him at Sidmouth years ago. But a quick google looks like he's gone to the D/C# side of things too.

The advantage with an A/D is that it has lots of RH harmonic potential. I know that some Irish players choose A/D as their quint box, because it is a nice key, reeds tend to sound quite nice at that pitch. So it is a perhaps sensible choice if you want something different. Eastern European though? Dunno about that, but I'm guessing that you'd want something in flats. I think that C/C# is an underrated system, personally.
Bergflodt D/G 4 voice, Saltarelle Bouebe D/G, Super Preciosa D/Em, Hohner Impiliput B/C+C#

Latest blog post: In Any Weather

http://melodeonmusic.com/blog

Pierre B

• Good talker
  • Weltmeister BC and AD
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2012, 01:37:51 AM »

Thanks for your replies.
I already tried a Hohner 1 row in D and just coudln't get used to it. So far, I didn't try Québécois on a B/C, but since many Irish tunes are in D, I thought a B/C box would be OK too for Québécois.

Why A/D? Well I don't know really, except that I don't have those 2 keys. If B/C and GCF are sufficient for most music, I'll stick with that.  Or what would be a 2 row box for tunes in those flat keys?
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 01:42:41 AM by Pierre B »

george garside

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2012, 08:13:50 AM »

as I mentioned previously a CC#  will give you the flat keys  of B,E & A flat using the same fingering as for ~D, G &A on a BC. The other alternative would be an Eflat Bflat box in which case the bass would probably be more usable

george
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

Andy in Vermont

• Mélodie
    • Melodeon Minutes (blog)
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2012, 01:35:49 PM »

Thanks for your replies.
I already tried a Hohner 1 row in D and just coudln't get used to it. So far, I didn't try Québécois on a B/C, but since many Irish tunes are in D, I thought a B/C box would be OK too for Québécois.

Why A/D? Well I don't know really, except that I don't have those 2 keys. If B/C and GCF are sufficient for most music, I'll stick with that.  Or what would be a 2 row box for tunes in those flat keys?

Pierre, there are so many resources locally (including Steve, who is also "here"), why don't you ask them how they feel about the B/C for Quebecois music -- my own sense is that the notes are there but it will not sound " right". -- you simply need a box with a D row.   A B/C playing tunes in D has a distinctly different feel than a D box played in "press and draw" style.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal