Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Very easy lessons for the DG melodeon - Lessons 1 and 2  (Read 7650 times)

Daddy Long Les

• Forum Librarian
    • Daddy Long Les
Very easy lessons for the DG melodeon - Lessons 1 and 2
« on: June 03, 2012, 10:47:13 AM »

Lesson 1"Twinkle, twinkle, little star" - right hand melody.

Lesson 2 - "Twinkle, twinkle, little star" - adding the bass notes and chords.

It occurred to me the other day that it might be useful to record some very easy lessons for absolute beginners on the melodeon.  To this end, I have recorded two video lessons for the tune "Twinkle, twinkle, little star".  Lesson 1 deals mainly with the right hand tune and Lesson 2, the bass notes and chords.  I have provided two pdfs of the annotated sheet music which you will see attached to this post.

Ok, so "Twinkle" is not the most exciting tune in the world but I picked it because it uses three adjacent buttons on one row and three chords that can be found in one small area.  In my experience, absolute beginners don't worry whether a tune is "cool" or not - they just want to pick up the basic technique with a melody they know.  I certainly wouldn't have minded starting off in this way.

I'm obviously not trying to compete with any of the pro teachers on here - I've simply tried to provide something that I would have loved to have had when I started out.  The idea is that people (perhaps older children?) might see these videos and having made a start would seek out more lessons/books/DVDs via melnet which I mention in the first video.

Hopefully I've brought my long experience of teaching children to these tutorials.  One thing I learnt very early on in my teaching career is that you can't dumb things down too much for a beginner so that has been my approach here. 

I haven't just thrown these videos together - I've paid careful attention to the sound and I've used two camera angles where appropriate but having said that, I will tweak a few things next time.

Anyway, have a look if you're interested and if this is something that Theo and Clive approve of, I will do a few more along the same lines (i.e. - keeping it very simple).

« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 11:06:04 AM by Daddy Long Les »
Castagnari Lily DG, Dino Baffetti Binci DG, Hohner Erica DG, Hohner Erica GC, Hohner Liliput Bb Eb, Sybilla Brand GCF, Hohner Compadre ADG, Hohner 4 stop in C

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
Re: Very easy lessons for the DG melodeon - Lessons 1 and 2
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2012, 01:37:42 PM »

You're in good company. Katie Howson uses Twinkle Twinkle Little Star for her absolute beginners workshop at Melodeons and More.
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2012, 09:44:39 AM »

Hi Les

Some comments from listening to the first 10 min of video 1.

I like your very calm clear and confident delivery, and the gentle pace is ideal for someone picking up a box for the first time.  Here are some small details that I think are worth some further thought:

1 - Title sequence rather long at 30s
2 - suggest having a consistent position for bellows direction - this is more important information than the lyrics
3 - when putting on the shoulder straps the RH strap got caught on the lower end of the keyboard - this is a common hangup and should be mentioned.
4 - I would always advocate using 4 fingers for the bass from the start.  I know it is harder but it is even harder if you try to change later on
5 - Please omit the apology about taking time to explain the fundamentals!
6 - at about 6.00 you say you are assuming DG 8 bass.  This should really be right at the start.

that's as far as I got so far.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Daddy Long Les

• Forum Librarian
    • Daddy Long Les
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2012, 10:03:18 AM »

Hi Les

Some comments from listening to the first 10 min of video 1.

I like your very calm clear and confident delivery, and the gentle pace is ideal for someone picking up a box for the first time.  Here are some small details that I think are worth some further thought:

1 - Title sequence rather long at 30s
2 - suggest having a consistent position for bellows direction - this is more important information than the lyrics
3 - when putting on the shoulder straps the RH strap got caught on the lower end of the keyboard - this is a common hangup and should be mentioned.
4 - I would always advocate using 4 fingers for the bass from the start.  I know it is harder but it is even harder if you try to change later on
5 - Please omit the apology about taking time to explain the fundamentals!
6 - at about 6.00 you say you are assuming DG 8 bass.  This should really be right at the start.

that's as far as I got so far.

Thanks Theo - just what I need!  I thought the title sequence was ok as it includes the complete performance. Totally agree about the bellows action position, slip up with shoulder strap etc.  In the description on You Tube I do say that the tutorial is for a DG box but admittedly it doesn't say 8 bass.. (now corrected)

Anyway this is mainly stuff I can address with some overlaid text on the original videos and in subsequent ones if I do them. Thanks also for the positive comments.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 12:06:09 PM by Daddy Long Les »
Castagnari Lily DG, Dino Baffetti Binci DG, Hohner Erica DG, Hohner Erica GC, Hohner Liliput Bb Eb, Sybilla Brand GCF, Hohner Compadre ADG, Hohner 4 stop in C

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2012, 10:11:17 AM »

Just out of interest, are you also assuming 3rd button start? Did I miss you explaining which row is which and which button is "G", or are you assuming that knowledge already? (I must admit I've only had time for a quick squizz through so far, so these issues might well be addressed somewhere!)

Graham
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

Daddy Long Les

• Forum Librarian
    • Daddy Long Les
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2012, 10:26:02 AM »

Just out of interest, are you also assuming 3rd button start? Did I miss you explaining which row is which and which button is "G", or are you assuming that knowledge already? (I must admit I've only had time for a quick squizz through so far, so these issues might well be addressed somewhere!)

Graham

Yep, all explained in the video.

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2012, 11:39:25 AM »

Thought it would be - must have a proper watch this evening!

Graham
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

Roland OBrien

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2012, 10:06:32 PM »

DLL, thanks so much for posting this!

I got my first melodeon today and your lesson has enabled me to start putting the bass to the melody. I was whooping with delight! It really started sounding (something) like it ought to sound. So please - do continue with this "complete beginners' series".

I think the pace of the video was fine - people are going to fast forward the bits they don't need, and look again at those they do (for example I played over the part on using the bass several times). The time spent explaining how to pick up the instrument, use the straps etc is valuable too - I'm still working out how best to hold the instrument using a single strap, and quite how to sit with it comfortably - it seems easier standing, but I don't want to do that for hours at a time. I'll have to look at some of the TOTM videos again to see how others do this.

Anyway, many thanks - I will keep an eye out for your next video, and the useful comments people are putting up.

Cheers,
Roland

Daddy Long Les

• Forum Librarian
    • Daddy Long Les
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2012, 10:15:04 PM »

DLL, thanks so much for posting this!

I got my first melodeon today and your lesson has enabled me to start putting the bass to the melody. I was whooping with delight! It really started sounding (something) like it ought to sound. So please - do continue with this "complete beginners' series".

I think the pace of the video was fine - people are going to fast forward the bits they don't need, and look again at those they do (for example I played over the part on using the bass several times). The time spent explaining how to pick up the instrument, use the straps etc is valuable too - I'm still working out how best to hold the instrument using a single strap, and quite how to sit with it comfortably - it seems easier standing, but I don't want to do that for hours at a time. I'll have to look at some of the TOTM videos again to see how others do this.

Anyway, many thanks - I will keep an eye out for your next video, and the useful comments people are putting up.

Cheers,
Roland

Thanks Roland. 

It really makes all the hard work so worthwhile when I get messages like this. Yes I'm definitely going to do some more. In fact I've spent the last two days preparing the next two videos and writing many pages of stuff for people to print out and keep.

Best wishes and lots of luck with your new melodeon.

Les

Spikey

• Regular debater
  • NZ
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2012, 03:09:32 AM »

When I first watched these I did wonder whether it would be better to split them into several shorter videos... but looking back I realise now that this is just the sort of thing I was looking for when I started learning, and would have been quite happy to make a cup of tea and sit down and watch the whole thing in one or two goes.

The printouts are very well laid out and clear - and, as others have said, it is the way you present the videos in such a relaxed and friendly style that is so appealing - with these it would be like having your own tutor in your living room (:).

Well done again Les!

Daddy Long Les

• Forum Librarian
    • Daddy Long Les
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2012, 04:24:02 AM »

When I first watched these I did wonder whether it would be better to split them into several shorter videos... but looking back I realise now that this is just the sort of thing I was looking for when I started learning, and would have been quite happy to make a cup of tea and sit down and watch the whole thing in one or two goes.

The printouts are very well laid out and clear - and, as others have said, it is the way you present the videos in such a relaxed and friendly style that is so appealing - with these it would be like having your own tutor in your living room (:).

Well done again Les!
Video length is always a tricky one. I must admit that I did originally try and film the whole thing RH and LH as one tutorial.  This was definitely too long so I had to rethink it.

Anyway, I've spent the last few days preparing for the next two tutorials and I'm close to being ready to film them.  I learnt a lot from doing the first two and I will try and implement this. I've also prepared several pages of material that beginners can print out to help them to read music - real simple stuff!

Thanks again for your interest and as always, for your kind comments and encouragement.

Look out for my new melodeon playing Daddy Long Les logo!!!

Roland OBrien

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2012, 10:11:20 PM »

I've been having great fun with this today, to the extent that my left hand little finger is getting a blister. I've moved on from fingering both bass buttons at the same time, to doing the alternate oom-pah.

I made this short video (warts and all) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=484E0MAgQw8 and realise that while my intention is to use 4 fingers on the bass (as suggested in the forum), my index finger is waving around in the air. I'll need to learn to keep it nearer the buttons, even when it's not needed in a tune. It is quite a stretch for the little finger to reach the C button.

If anyone spots some bad habit I've adopted during my couple of hours' playing, please flag it up.

Thanks again DLL.
Roland

Daddy Long Les

• Forum Librarian
    • Daddy Long Les
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2012, 10:24:55 PM »

I've been having great fun with this today, to the extent that my left hand little finger is getting a blister. I've moved on from fingering both bass buttons at the same time, to doing the alternate oom-pah.

I made this short video (warts and all) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=484E0MAgQw8 and realise that while my intention is to use 4 fingers on the bass (as suggested in the forum), my index finger is waving around in the air. I'll need to learn to keep it nearer the buttons, even when it's not needed in a tune. It is quite a stretch for the little finger to reach the C button.

If anyone spots some bad habit I've adopted during my couple of hours' playing, please flag it up.

Thanks again DLL.
Roland

I'm honoured Roland - truly!!  Considering how long you've been playing you're doing really well. I've got three videos planned and I hope to record them on Saturday. I commend you for trying to use your little finger on the basses. I had a look at this earlier this week but to be honest I think I'll be sticking with my three fingers on the bass side. Looks like I'm in good company. Of course if you can use all four then that's brilliant. Nice sounding box btw. Keep going!!!  I loved the laugh at the end. This is what it's all about - having fun with the thing!!
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 07:52:12 AM by Daddy Long Les »

Roland OBrien

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2012, 10:48:51 PM »

Thanks DLL for the encouragement.
The box is a DG Hohner Pressed Wood with a 4th button start, supplied & refurbished by Mike Rowbotham (who's a pleasure to deal with - I went down to St Ives to pick it up earlier this week). I'm delighted with it (it's light, compact, has a gorgeous sound and looks and feels great). I now have to do it justice - so I'll keep on practising Lessons 1&2 but also look forward to the next "very easy" lesson, too!
Roland

Daddy Long Les

• Forum Librarian
    • Daddy Long Les
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2012, 11:25:29 AM »

I have finally had the time to make this short video as a big THANKYOU to Les for all his teaching. I think you will soon have a large band of eager followers!!!
I bought this, my first Melodeon, while on a working trip to Cornwall, when I met Mike Rowbotham in St. Ives. It's a Pre-Pokerwork in C/F, with a 4th button start and I absolutely love learning to play it and especially the soft, rich sound it makes...so, here it is! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgKq86yb6tA&feature=plcpes.
Un-muddled link here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgKq86yb6tA&feature=plcpes

Lovely playing; gorgeous sounding box. Well done!

Very nice - harmonies too!!  Thank you for your kind comments.  It's really appreciated. (:) (:)

arty

« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2012, 11:26:37 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgKq86yb6tA&feature=plcp

I have finally found the time to make this short video as a big THANKYOU to Les for all his teaching.

I bought this, my first Melodeon, while on a working trip to Cornwall, when I met Mike Rowbotham in St. Ives on the 1st May. It's a Pre-Pokerwork in C/F, 4th button start and I absolutely love learning it and the lovely soft, rich sound it makes!
Pre-Pokerwork C/F, Castagnari Laura G/C, Beltuna Sara 3 A/D, Castagnari Sander Special D/G

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2012, 11:27:46 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgKq86yb6tA&feature=plcp

I have finally found the time to make this short video as a big THANKYOU to Les for all his teaching.

I bought this, my first Melodeon, while on a working trip to Cornwall, when I met Mike Rowbotham in St. Ives on the 1st May. It's a Pre-Pokerwork in C/F, 4th button start and I absolutely love learning it and the lovely soft, rich sound it makes!
Lovely playing; gorgeous sounding box. Well done!
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

rayhomewood

• Ray Homewood the Old Bear (aka Gothic Toad)
  • Guitarist turned to squeezeboxes and fiddle!
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2013, 04:57:33 PM »

Thank you : )
Kind regards
Ray Homewood : )
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal