Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Music Shops in central London (that stock melodeons, obviously)... and Brighton  (Read 2484 times)

Ash

• Good talker

I'm going to have a bit of free time in London later in the month, but only a couple of hours at a time. I'm going to be in central London, near Oxford Circus and so am planning a visit to Hobgoblin at Rathbone Place, but are there any other shops I could also consider?

Accordions of London is too far to get too and back in any of the free time I've got available, I think (it's Kilburn, right?).

I'll also be in Brighton for a bit, I believe The Music Box in Brighton has a small stock of melodeons, although their website is down at the minute...

Are there any other suggestions?
Chinese one-row C; Erica C/F; Sandpiper D/G; Cliff Mott 'Cajun Pride' C; Sternberg Hungarian 2-row (?); Liliput C/F; Castagnari Lilly D/G... Something's got to go. Any offers?

Strigulino

• The Night Owl
  • @strigulino on Twitter
    • Strig on YouTube

Don't know much about music shops in Brighton these days, but there's a cafe called Bom Bane's in George Street Brighton (not Hove) - a muso friend of mine called Nick runs it with his other half Jane.  They have a lot of interesting music nights on, and mechanical tables, and Belgian beers... I'd highly recommend it.  I assume it's still there, although I haven't lived in Brighton for some years now.   Gratuitous plug aside, if anyone know about music shops in Brighton, Nick will.  He plays fiddle, dulcimer, made his own theremin, and a ukelele out of a coconut.   I should be bumping into him at the Edinburgh Fringe this year, no doubt.  What he makes of my melodeon playing I look forward to finding out.  It'll be like a ten-year-old grade 1 violin kid serenading Paganini, I fear...  LOL
~~~~~~~~~~~
The Strig

"World-famous poker player. Give her a good poker and she'll play any tune you like." - The Goon Show
Pets:  Two cats, one husband, a D/G Hohner Morgane, a C/F Liliput, a dark and mysterious anglo concertina, a Streb, a Giordy...

StupidFingers

The only other place I know of in London (and I don't know it that well) is Allodi Accordions down in Lewisham, but that's even further out than Kilburn.  I did consider going down there myself one time, but it seemed like a rather long slog to get there.

TedK

• Regular debater

London seems pretty poor for Melodeon shops to be honest. I've been here about 6 months; when I lived in Manchester there were far more places with a good selection in striking distance.

Hobgoblin is probably the best by far and their selection isn't great- only a couple of small shelves covering all systems/tunings. Not much choice really but they usually have the most popular boxes like pokerworks/ double rays and Lilys in a couple of keys. They also had a couple of D/G Excelsior boxes the last time I was in which seemed quite nice.

I went to that shop in Kilburn a couple of months ago and they had no diatonics at all. Not tried the one in Lewisham though.

I should also warn you that I tried to go to the Music Box while in Brighton earlier this year, and it seemed to have morphed into a sort of vintage/sci fi memorablia/junk shop with a very few folky items amongst the other stuff (one or 2 acoustic guitars and mandolins, penny whistles, a Piano Accordion and a couple of music books but no melodeons at all!). I got the impression that they are either in financial difficulties or mainly an online dealer who will just basically order a melodeon from the manufacturer on your behalf.

Hope this helps- if anyone knows of any other decent shops I will be interested to hear :)
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 11:49:29 AM by TedK »

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place

There is also the original Hobgoblin shop in Crawley, halfway between London and Brighton.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Ash

• Good talker

There is also the original Hobgoblin shop in Crawley, halfway between London and Brighton.

I would like to go there, but unfortunately it's work commitments that are taking me to London and Brighton and I can;t change the itinerary - travelling between the two by train unfortunately...
Chinese one-row C; Erica C/F; Sandpiper D/G; Cliff Mott 'Cajun Pride' C; Sternberg Hungarian 2-row (?); Liliput C/F; Castagnari Lilly D/G... Something's got to go. Any offers?

Sandy Flett

• Accordion and Melodeon Blog

The only other place I know of in London (and I don't know it that well) is Allodi Accordions down in Lewisham, but that's even further out than Kilburn.  I did consider going down there myself one time, but it seemed like a rather long slog to get there.

Allodi is almost entirely accordions, with just a handful of second hand odds-and-sods melodeons (trade-ins possibly) when I was there last year.
DG Dino Baffetti Carnival II (plus accordions)
Accordion and Melodeon blog

LJC

There are no shops which stock reasonable melodeons in Brighton. A couple of them have horrible plastic toys along with the chipboard ukuleles, but nothing worth going out of your way to look at!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal