Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Basic Music Theory Instruction Sheets  (Read 1689 times)

Daddy Long Les

• Forum Librarian
    • Daddy Long Les
Basic Music Theory Instruction Sheets
« on: June 08, 2012, 11:54:07 AM »

Rather than plastering every new tune sheet I produce for my tutorials with loads of music theory, I have spent the last couple of days producing some information sheets that will help any beginner who is playing an instrument that uses the treble clef.  I think I have included all the basic stuff needed to get started without blinding them with science.  This is a work in progress and will, no doubt, develop over time.

These sheets are not melodeon-specific but I will of course mention anything necessary that crops up in each tutorial.

As the attachment is too big for this post you can download it here from my website - click on the "Music and Tab sheets" menu.  It's at the foot of the list.

I hope this will be of use.
Castagnari Lily DG, Dino Baffetti Binci DG, Hohner Erica DG, Hohner Erica GC, Hohner Liliput Bb Eb, Sybilla Brand GCF, Hohner Compadre ADG, Hohner 4 stop in C

Myrrh Music

• Regular debater
  • Wandering Brummie
Re: Basic Music Theory Instruction Sheets
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2012, 12:18:31 PM »

:D Wow, that's excellent Les, not sure about the music theory stuff for me - scary!  But the ABC equivalents could be really helpful. Many thanks

Mary

Daddy Long Les

• Forum Librarian
    • Daddy Long Les
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2012, 12:19:31 PM »

:D Wow, that's excellent Les, not sure about the music theory stuff for me - scary!  But the ABC equivalents could be really helpful. Many thanks

Mary

Thanks Mary! ;)
Castagnari Lily DG, Dino Baffetti Binci DG, Hohner Erica DG, Hohner Erica GC, Hohner Liliput Bb Eb, Sybilla Brand GCF, Hohner Compadre ADG, Hohner 4 stop in C

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2012, 12:43:06 PM »

Les

I think these sheets will be v useful to the beginners amongst us, but (bet you could see that coming) the bit about tones and semitones grates for me. As an engineer I think it needs you to explain the fact there are 12 steps to chose from and the T T S T T T S shows you which of the 12 steps to use.

Might just be me though  (:)

strad

• Respected Sage
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2012, 12:44:34 PM »

That's really good. Plain and simple and easy to follow.

Now you need a method of training people to not be dot-phobic!
Then a method of not relying on the dots!

Keep up the good work!

Nigel

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2012, 12:45:15 PM »

A very useful tool for demistifying musical theory for the 'dotophobes'! Just one little suggestion: I don't think it is sufficiently clear when you introduced the key of G that the sharp sign on the F line applies also to the lower F. You wrote that it applies to all F notes, but it would be possible to read that as meaning all F notes that occur on that line. Making specific reference to the lower F would clarify this.

An excellent tool, though. I know two 'dotophobes' whom I will be directing to your website for curative therapy.
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

Daddy Long Les

• Forum Librarian
    • Daddy Long Les
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2012, 12:48:59 PM »

A very useful tool for demistifying musical theory for the 'dotophobes'! Just one little suggestion: I don't think it is sufficiently clear when you introduced the key of G that the sharp sign on the F line applies also to the lower F. You wrote that it applies to all F notes, but it would be possible to read that as meaning all F notes that occur on that line. Making specific reference to the lower F would clarify this.

An excellent tool, though. I know two 'dotophobes' whom I will be directing to your website for curative therapy.

I see what you mean - I'll have a think about  that!!

Daddy Long Les

• Forum Librarian
    • Daddy Long Les
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2012, 07:48:11 PM »

Sorted - I'll upload it a bit later.  Thanks Bob!

Daddy Long Les

• Forum Librarian
    • Daddy Long Les
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2012, 09:07:24 PM »

Les

I think these sheets will be v useful to the beginners amongst us, but (bet you could see that coming) the bit about tones and semitones grates for me. As an engineer I think it needs you to explain the fact there are 12 steps to chose from and the T T S T T T S shows you which of the 12 steps to use.

Might just be me though  (:)

All done Lester and re-uploaded to my website

Daddy Long Les

• Forum Librarian
    • Daddy Long Les
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2012, 09:08:12 PM »

Sorted - I'll upload it a bit later.  Thanks Bob!

All amended and uploaded!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal