Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: choice of mouthorgans  (Read 8214 times)

Hallelujahal

Re: choice of mouthorgans
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2011, 07:15:17 PM »

...unlike the Hohners which in my experience are not setup satisfactorily and are uneven in response across the scale. AL

Just like their run of the mill boxes, then!

Rob.

How very true!  :D

Alan Morley

• Alan Morley
    • UK Folk Music
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2011, 07:45:34 PM »

I have five Lee Oskar's for 'blues style' playing on the draw...

Keys:  A | E | D | G | Am

Hohner Cross Harp in C

Hohner Pro Harp MS in F

Just need a blues band to play with  8)
ISIS Melodeon, Hohner Erica,  Fender Strat Plus, Takamine, Hofner Violin Bass, Hohner CX12 Harmonica, etc.... Website: https://folk-music.uk

Hallelujahal

« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2012, 12:56:41 PM »

*name drop alert*: Had lunch with Donald Black back end of last year - and he told me that his latest album 'Keil Road' was all played on 'adjusted' 10 hole diatonics. It's a superb album, I thoroughly recommend it as it contains a good number of beautiful slow airs. Donald rated very highly the Hering 'Black Blues' 10 hole harp - he said it offered exceptional value for money. Personally I play mainly Suzuki Promaster MR350s (10 hole diatonics) and Tombo Band 21 tremolo harps. Although I've started playing the Hohner Echo Celeste as well. Frankly the Celeste is rather growing on me, partly because of it's price (cheapest is from eaglemusicshop), partly because of its scale tuning, oh and did I mention the price? Hohner have probably hit on a bit of a winner with the Celeste, quite by accident I'm sure.
AL

graeme2306

• New Starter
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2012, 12:10:34 PM »

I am pleased Suzuki got a mention in this discussion. I have a Lee Oskar, several Hohners, and a Huang (which is surprisingly good after a trip to the technician), but the Suzuki is clearly the easiest to play, responds beautifully, great tone, and is built really well.

Harmonicatunes

• Respected Sage
    • Harmonicatunes
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2012, 03:45:27 PM »

Hohner production quality has improved markedly in recent years. If you haven't tried a Hohner recently, you should. In particular, they have a new model called the "Crossover", based on the traditional Hohner Marine Band, but much better.

Suzuki have always made good harmonicas. The have a teriffic new diatonic model called the "Manji". It is equal to or better than just about anything else on the market
Harmonica Player
Just starting with the Box

Québécois

• Accordez-vous donc, c'est si beau, l'accordéon!
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2012, 04:27:05 PM »

Most blues harmonica players I know use Suzuki...

They also have a few cool models, like this one.
Hohner Morgane D/G, pre-Erica Hohner in C/F and G/C,
Hohner Erica A/D, Roland FR-18

Sage Herb

• Steve Harrison
  • Slaithwaite, UK
    • The Black Box Band
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2012, 06:22:56 PM »

Hohner Special 20s - mid-priced, sweet compromise intonation, slim profile that's really comfortable in the mouth. And they're available in low D, which is much more useful than the usual high D for the kind of tunes that melodeon players are apt to play.
Hohner Erikas & Club 2s
Hohner gob-harps:
Vega Senator 5-string banjo; Alex Burns plectrum guitar

Black Box Band - www.theblackboxband.co.uk
Annie Dearman & Steve Harrison - www.dearmanharrison.co.uk
Phoenix - www.phoenixdanceband.co.uk
http://soundcloud.com/sage-herb

Andy

• Regular debater
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2012, 11:31:44 PM »

Another vote for the SP 20 for me.

I have them in G, A and Low D

Regular D is painfully high to my ear.

Although they are my favourite I had to Paddy Richterise, convert to equal temperament and open up the backs of the covers before I was happy with them - but then that's half the fun.

I do have one Seydel Blues Session Steel bought in Paddy Richter tuning (one of the few you can buy ready Paddy Richterised) but it is not nearly as responsive as the SP20 - and to expensive for me to start mucking about with.

I do prefer plastic combs and screw on plates and covers so that I can completely dissasemble and clean in vodka.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal