Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Most Bizarre Free reed instrument  (Read 6078 times)

Adam-T

• Hohner Club-Too
Most Bizarre Free reed instrument
« on: June 09, 2012, 06:22:00 PM »

Hokay - post your candidates for the most bizarre free reed instrument ..

here`s my entry - the martin Horn (this one is actually for sale in a shop)

http://www.pamelasmusic.co.uk/images/Forsale/freereed/Hr057.htm

and a page on martin horns, seems that they started off as a railway and car honker and developed into a musical instrument

http://www.springersmusic.co.uk/Library/Martin%20horns.htm
« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 06:23:55 PM by Adam-T »
Q: How do you cure MAD?
A: Take a Break from Mel-Net. (IF YOU CAN)

forrest

• Other Places::
  • digits still functioning
Re: Most Bizarre Free reed instrument
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2012, 07:35:52 AM »

Just came across this item (no connection to seller, or 'NCtS'). Appears to be a one row melodeon sans bellows, but provided with mouthpiece. Could possibly be modded to operate with underarm mounted pipe-style bellows and an air tube  >:E

Adam-T

• Hohner Club-Too
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2012, 07:42:29 AM »

Fabulous , the missing link between Melodeon and Melodica !  ..

pikey

• Addicted to squeezeboxes since 1975
  • Thread mod
  • If it moves, I'll squeeze it....
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2012, 07:56:13 AM »

The chinese scheng, mouth blown free reeds with multiple pipes and keys, is my favourite. The old ones had bamboo reeds, and predated Mr Wheatstones 'invention' by several centuries!!   you can still buy them now, from a well known shop in Crawley
Still squeezing after all these years.
Mostly on hohners , with a couple of Dinos and a smattering of anglos - and now a Jeffries duet

Owen Woods

• melodeonmusic.com
    • The website and blog of Owen Woods
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2012, 07:25:01 PM »

Just came across this item (no connection to seller, or 'NCtS'). Appears to be a one row melodeon sans bellows, but provided with mouthpiece. Could possibly be modded to operate with underarm mounted pipe-style bellows and an air tube  >:E

Love it!
Bergflodt D/G 4 voice, Saltarelle Bouebe D/G, Super Preciosa D/Em, Hohner Impiliput B/C+C#

Latest blog post: In Any Weather

http://melodeonmusic.com/blog

Lyra

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2012, 12:01:24 AM »

I seen M. Milleret play one of those  ;)

Howard Jones

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2012, 09:15:13 AM »

I remember Neil Wayne once explaining that when the West first discovered the principle of the free reed (which the Chinese had been using for centuries) there were numerous attempts to create new instruments or adapt existing ones, most of which of course turned out to be impractical. 

Stephen Chambers has an interesting article on concertina.com:

http://www.concertina.com/chambers/michaelstein/

Telemorris

• Respected Sage
  • C/F Preciosa
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2012, 04:44:13 PM »

A performer I met a year ago had a free reed instrument that looked like a round metal canister with a crank at one end. The tin was stamped to make the canister look like a house or church and painted. When the crank was turned, a major triad sounded. The interesting bit was that as you turned the crank, the chords changed from I to V to IV to V and back to I. The progression was relatively slow and took somewhere near 20 or 30 turns of the crank to advance from one chord to the next. He'd made up a lovely tune to go along with the chord progressions.

He said it was of German make and dated from the turn of the last century. He guessed that it was designed for itinerant preachers to use for hymn singing and had picked it up at a flea market here in the Pacific Northwest of the US.

I don't have photos though I'm not sure how helpful they'd be. Does anyone know what the name for this instrument is?
Ed Stevens
Bridgetown Morris Men
Portland, Oregon, US
Erica D/G, Presswood Pokerwork G/C, Preciosa C/F

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2012, 07:25:50 PM »

That's excellent - do you have to suck as well as blow? (as the actress........no, forget that!) ;D

Graham
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

malcolmbebb

• In dampest Dorset, on the soggy south coast.
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2012, 07:38:28 PM »

On the box they call it a high class blow-accordion. I guess it you're calling something high-class in the States, you aren't going to claim it sucks, are you?
Dino BPII.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire."

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2012, 07:41:08 PM »

On the box they call it a high class blow-accordion. I guess it you're calling something high-class in the States, you aren't going to claim it sucks, are you?

;D ;D ;D
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

pikey

• Addicted to squeezeboxes since 1975
  • Thread mod
  • If it moves, I'll squeeze it....
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2012, 09:49:46 AM »

What about the Electric piano?  It's actually really an accordion, where the free reeds are hit with little hammers!

I didn't realise it used free reeds, until a mate of mine who played one in a jazz funk band asked me to get a spare reed for him whilst I was shopping. I was gobsmacked when I looked at it and realised what it was .   :D

Still squeezing after all these years.
Mostly on hohners , with a couple of Dinos and a smattering of anglos - and now a Jeffries duet

Mike Hirst

• Primatona IV D/D#, Black Dot B/C, One Row in D
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2012, 10:31:13 AM »

What about the Electric piano?  It's actually really an accordion, where the free reeds are hit with little hammers!

I didn't realise it used free reeds, until a mate of mine who played one in a jazz funk band asked me to get a spare reed for him whilst I was shopping. I was gobsmacked when I looked at it and realised what it was .   :D

"Slip like Freudian, your first and last step to playing yourself like an Accordion" - MF DOOM - Madvillain

Mike Hirst

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2012, 10:46:43 AM »

According to Google Translate the instrument pictured below is a "wind instrument with the reeds of an accordion technique". It further explains that "The moisture that passes through the bubbles into the EOLINA is collected on the one hand through the opened dehumidification after use and the other by the S-shaped mouth-tube made of brass even during the game and can be derived by a flap". To find out more follow this link:

http://www.akkordeoncentrum.de/shop/001888,details_Ballone_Burini_Eolina_Knopf.html
"Slip like Freudian, your first and last step to playing yourself like an Accordion" - MF DOOM - Madvillain

Adam-T

• Hohner Club-Too
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2012, 12:09:05 PM »

They`re TINES not reeds , quite a difference (in thickness too I`d expect) , Kalimbas, Xylophones and Vibraphones fall into the same Category ..... the Electric Piano is really an Electric Vibraphone with keys

That Eolina thing is really Bizarre, looks like a Steampunk 8 Bit Microcomputer (with the emphasis on STEAM) . the bit that got me was "Even during the GAME" ???? So it`s an X-BOX as well ?
« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 12:12:22 PM by Adam-T »

Mike Hirst

« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2012, 01:35:57 PM »

« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 04:17:54 PM by Mike Hirst »

Adam-T

• Hohner Club-Too
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2012, 01:56:10 PM »

That`s Fantastic - the Missus would love that !.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal