Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Basic Windows Live Music Maker help please!  (Read 1882 times)

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
Basic Windows Live Music Maker help please!
« on: June 17, 2012, 10:05:37 AM »

Hi All,
I'm a total beginner at using WLMM and seem to be getting it wrong.
With my previous couple of ToTM attempts I’ve simply uploaded the webcam file.
I now have a new hand held music recorder so thought I could improve the sound by simultaneously recording my playing on a webcam and the music recorder and mating them using WLMM, so pressed ‘go’ on both and played a tune.

I opened WLMM, went to the webcam’s folder and opened the file I wanted. It only played the video, not the sound (?) .
I've given the video a starting title, and used the 'add music' and added the .wav file from the music recorder, synchronised it and saved the project. Before closing it the video was is as it should be and the music starts when it's required, when I start playing the tune.
On returning to the saved project by opening WLMM, the music is showing onscreen and the start point when it should start- but no sound.
Any ideas?
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
Re: Basic Windows Live Music Maker help please!
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2012, 10:35:33 AM »

It's Microsoft - is that sufficient explanation? ;D

Seriously, I haven't a clue, any more than why Live Movie Maker sometimes records via the webcam but more frequently tells me the webcam is not connected.... ???

Graham
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2012, 10:18:43 PM »

Update:
I have resolved my problems, and discovered:-
Firstly, I didn't really understand what WLMM was, and their help system is worse than useless. It took a comment via Google to help me.
WLMM only saves in a .wimp file which is only used with WLMM, it's more of a tool for making vid's.
After stitching together separate video and sound, use the 'save movie' > 'save to computer' option.
This then saves the movie as a .wav file and opens in a windows media prog, and you can view your finished product before uploading to Youtube - or tweak it again if not happy.

Secondly, It helps when recording video using a webcam and sound using a separate device, to mute the webcam microphone, or you get two sound tracks!!!!

Both these are very obvious, but as a first time user I didn't know!
I seem to have learnt a lot today...........
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2012, 08:21:51 AM »

This then saves the movie as a .wav file and opens in a windows media prog, and you can view your finished product before uploading to Youtube - or tweak it again if not happy.

You know me never one to be picky, but a .wav is sound only,think you meant .wmv

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2012, 09:53:15 AM »

Lester: Picky? you? never!
Thanks for correcting my typo. Just thought a basic explanation might help others from making my errors.
It was surprising the lack of knowledge surrounding this, and asking IT users in my school produced blank faces.
....still I'm sorted now and pleased I've got it right.
Q

Thrupenny Bit

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2012, 10:49:27 PM »

I assume you mean Windows Live Movie Maker? From reading your post, it seems you did get sound working correctly in synchronisation with the video at some point, so I assume that means you found the audio mixer (webcam vs imported mp3) on the project tab. Is that right? If it was working ok, but then fails to play audio when you come reload the project sometime later, that's happened to me when another application has taken exclusive hold of the soundcard (in my case, Mixcraft running in exclusive recording mode). Closing Mixcraft, Closing WLMM, restarting WLMM has always cleared the problem for me. In your case, it may be a different program holding open the soundcard, not Mixcraft, but the principle may be the same.

Cheers,

Clive

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2012, 09:54:45 AM »

Clive:
Yes, Windows Live Movie Maker.
Ahhhh..... indeed I hadn't found that audio mixer! I've just had a play and discovered it. That answers some other questions.
I ended up having a mix of the webcam audio and my sound recording audio which due to not quite precise synchronising, lead to an echo. I overcame this by re-recording both again having discovered the webcam microphone mute. Got there in the end by another method.
Inevitably with limited time I had a dig around the program but didn't get into all it's nooks and crannies.
The info I did pick up was that after 'making' your video, slide show + sound or whatever you wanted, was that you can send it directly to Youtube by selecting one of the tabs, but..... if you save it as a 'save movie' to computer, you can go back and tweak further at a later date should you want to, or simply watch it before publishing to the world and discovering a basic error somewhere and feeling a proper fool.
Not sure if my soundcard was being monopolised by another program, but again, by using the 'save movie' option it reopens in another program and so all's well.

All in all, I'm surprised at so little basic info available on the 'help' tab, in fact it is useless. I usually can find my way around things, but this time got stumped on a copule of basic things.
Hey ho. Live and learn. Got there in the end.
cheers
Q
Thrupenny Bit

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal