Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: French Schottishe  (Read 6430 times)

sCANdanADIAN

• Regular debater
French Schottishe
« on: October 13, 2008, 08:40:34 AM »

http://domriviere.over-blog.com/article-17856285-6.html#comment25616179

A link from another board let me revisit this tune with my accordion on my lap.The original poster has been inspired by this performance to try to find a CBA.However the humble melodeon will more than suffice.This tune is easily playable on a D/G.It's kind of fun to try to play along and then play by memory(the tune is that simple and catchy).The sheet music is also provided and helps to figure out anything that didn't work right away.

This is also a great instructional video on how to project that certain "je ne sais quoi?" with gallic shrugs,grimaces and other symptoms of intestinal discomfort.

Chris
« Last Edit: October 13, 2008, 04:01:32 PM by sCANdanADIAN »

Nick Hudis

• Respected Sage
  • Loffet Pro 18, Castagnari Casta
    • Themassageman
Re: French Schottishe
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2008, 11:02:48 PM »

I think the guy plays nicely on his CBA.  I think its a Saltarelle and makes a gorgeous sound.  I know the tune as Le Canal en Octobre by Frederick Paris who has written a lot of fine tunes.  There is a rather more four square setting of it in Nick Barber's English Choice.  Its a wonderful example of how a really simple tune can be so good.  One of my favourites, it does go well on diatonic box, but it also goes well on fingerstyle guitar, bouzouki, piano, whistle, harp or anthing else I can lay my hands on........ if all else fails I hum it while I walk the dog.....

Haven't tried the gallic gestures yet.  We suffolk boys are not much given to dramatic displays of self expression.  Bob Roberts tells a story about an East Coast barge skipper who never gave a verbal order to his Mate.  If he wanted to go about, or shorten sail or whatever, his only indication would be a raised eyebrow.
Nick

Lin Leighton

• Regular debater
  • Castagnari Tommy/ Dino Baffetti BP
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2008, 01:04:22 PM »

emmmmmmmmmmmmm  ..................isnt that what I said on 4th October in "General Discussions Help Funny Face "   
;D ;D ;D
and yes he does make this tune sound beautiful, unlike some others on U tube   ;) ;)
Lin

Lin(Rattlejag Morris)

Mike Higgins

• Respected Sage
    • Strolling to Italy
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2008, 05:05:32 PM »

I've just listened to this tune and I can't get it out of my head, I've played it about 20 times already. I fear a new obsession is growing. Trouble is that I don't look very Gallic so my shrugs and grimaces look like an attack of bean music is about to start.
Mike from Ponte Caffaro

Nick Hudis

• Respected Sage
    • Themassageman
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2008, 06:32:31 PM »

I can't get it out of my head

I know what you mean!

I've just checked out the video again and I think the secret lies in his hat.  Anyone know where I can get one.... or would it look daft over a ponytail?
Nick

Martin J

• Poole, Dorset
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2009, 11:51:50 AM »

Just been playing Canal in October and re visited this thread.
Thought this may be of interest.

Here is Rivieredom playing Le Canal en Octobre without a hat http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=6Rf3s6C_W10&feature=related
and here he is again playing La Partida, absolutely brilliantly.  Not so much the hat as the trousers in this one but with the extended range of Gallic expressions.  http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=bWay7VQ_lZM&feature=related

Anyone know him or who he is, I think his playing is outstanding.
Castagnari, Weltmeister, Giustozzi, Streb, too many Hohners.  No Strings Attached ceilidh band

Jeremy Burnett

• Regular debater
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2009, 06:09:55 PM »

He seems to play a bit slower with his hat on.Emanuel Pariselle played this to us on his Anglo at Witney. We play it in a pub here in Falmouth during the monday evening dance session.Its a great tune.

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2009, 10:10:38 PM »

He seems to play a bit slower with his hat on.Emanuel Pariselle played this to us on his Anglo at Witney. We play it in a pub here in Falmouth during the monday evening dance session.Its a great tune.
PEDANTRY MODE
If it was Emanuel at Melodeons at Witney he was playing a Franglo not an Anglo

http://www.concertina.info/tina.faq/images/dipp.htm

Fidjit

• my space on My Space
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2009, 03:45:48 PM »

Emanuel also came up with this.

Martin J

• Poole, Dorset
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2009, 04:10:54 PM »

We play it in a pub here in Falmouth during the monday evening dance session.
Hi Jeremy

I,m often down you way, Bodmin on a Friday night, Stithians Saturday and Wheal Dream Sunday.  I've sung and played in the 'dungeon' beneath Trago and would be interested in catching up with any sessions that are open to visitors.  We had massive sessions there (mainly singing thought) during the Tall Ships week.  Surprised we never met, or maybe we did and we weren't introduced.  Please let me know if there's anything going on.

Martin
Castagnari, Weltmeister, Giustozzi, Streb, too many Hohners.  No Strings Attached ceilidh band

Ziachmusi/Louise

• Respected Sage
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2009, 08:20:08 AM »

Here's the guys home page:-
http://riviere.auzeau.org
but its all french to me :(

louise

Fidjit

• my space on My Space
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2009, 03:41:33 PM »

Nick Barbers notation is different to this French guy's

flipper

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2009, 01:29:16 AM »

We have just started playing another tune with canal in october called Ganivelle also in nick barbers book and also by Frederick Paris. I highly recommend it we play as a set of Ganivelle, canal in october and then ganivelle again.

Sue
Sue,
Dino Baffetti D/G, Weltmiester B/C

TomB-R

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2009, 10:10:04 AM »

We play C e O after Schottische a Virmoux.

Ganivelle would indeed be nice in the set too, though I've more often played it with less of a schottische-ish pulse heading for a "l'Inconnue de something or other" waltz.

Nick Hudis

• Respected Sage
    • Themassageman
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2009, 02:53:29 PM »

I play "Canal" with Ganivelle too.  If you can get hold of a copy of the Massif Central Tune Book there's loads of tunes including several by Frederic Paris.  Shame its out of print.

I found this the other day:

http://www.emusic.com/album/Frédéric-Paris-Rue-de-l-oiseau-Accordéon-diatonique-du-Bourbonna-MP3-Download/11092402.html

You can download Frederic playing Canal himself and a lot of other fantastic tunes.  Hearing this CD for the first time was one of those "I'm going to lock myself in a room for nine months and learn to play all these tunes!", moments.
Nick
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal