Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 18   Go Down

Author Topic: "Melodeon Playgroup" day anyone? For the Newer Melodeonist.  (Read 59645 times)

MelonBox

• Respected Sage
    • Mel Biggs Music | Melodeon Teacher
Re: "Melodeon Playgroup" day anyone? For the Newer Melodeonist.
« Reply #100 on: August 30, 2012, 03:26:16 PM »

Shame - I think Mel would have been an asset. She's very easy to get on with.

Tee hee! Gold star to you Malcolm ;)

All the best with the day - I would've only come in an informal sense to make my face known and get to know others and to offer advcie if it was needed. Definitely something I'd like to get involved with for the next one though, Strigulino. All the best with this - relax and have fun :)
Castagnari Trilly DG and GC, Castagnari Tommy DG all by Acorn Instruments,
Hohner Picoletta Bb/Eb and Hohner Student 1 C/F conversion set up by Mike Rowbotham.

Pick Up & Play with Mel Biggs - Online beginners course: https://melbiggsmusic.co.uk/puap

Mel Biggs Musician | Melodeon Teacher
www.melbiggsmusic.co.uk

Helena Handcart

• Nine-box Nellie
« Reply #101 on: August 30, 2012, 06:37:10 PM »

New - either not got a melodeon yet or hardly touched the one you have.  Scared of touching it in case it makes a bad noise.

Beginner - can bash out a tune or two, quite slowly, and at least some of the time people work out what you are trying to play.  Has some idea of what keys and notes are possible.  Scared of the bass end.

Intermediate - Know a few tunes but can't play them flawlessly yet.  Can find a given note given time to find the row start and count from there.  Has at least attempted basses but sometimes does "oom" when they are supposed to be doing "pah".  Scared of the dusty end.

Thanks for that post, you made me laugh out loud while waiting in the GP surgery.  That pretty much encapsulates my adventures in melodeon land to date. Priceless!  Personally I am just  about over  "oom"ing when I should be "pah"ing but I do work in the NHS so the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing is only to be expected.   ;)
Sideways typing on the wooden handbag (now with added electric typewriter).

Green Man Sword | Helena Handcart on Soundcloud| Squeezebox from Scratch |

Strigulino

• The Night Owl
  • @strigulino on Twitter
    • Strig on YouTube
« Reply #102 on: August 30, 2012, 06:56:35 PM »

I'd call myself an intermediate player also.  And I work for the NHS too.  We must be box twins.

Every now and then I surprise myself by playing a tune really well, but can I duplicate the feat when anyone is watching?

And as far as oompah goes, I'm pretty good at that now, but oompahpah?  I go to pieces.
~~~~~~~~~~~
The Strig

"World-famous poker player. Give her a good poker and she'll play any tune you like." - The Goon Show
Pets:  Two cats, one husband, a D/G Hohner Morgane, a C/F Liliput, a dark and mysterious anglo concertina, a Streb, a Giordy...

Helena Handcart

• Nine-box Nellie
« Reply #103 on: August 30, 2012, 07:03:48 PM »

Oooh I am still working up to oompahpah  ;D.  It works sometimes, then I realise it's going well and 'fall off' again.  Sometimes ... on a good day, with my husband nodding encouragement like I am four years old and just managed to write my name with big chunky crayons at playschool.  Maybe I need stabilisers on my melodeon?
Sideways typing on the wooden handbag (now with added electric typewriter).

Green Man Sword | Helena Handcart on Soundcloud| Squeezebox from Scratch |

Lyn

• Respected Sage
« Reply #104 on: September 07, 2012, 05:06:05 PM »

A bit on the late side, Strig, but Lorna and I are def coming, we're booked into the Premier Inn on the Sunday night, and raring to go. I'd say I was approaching Intermediate, but a Learner-by-ear-only. Not sure eabout Lorna. Oh as it seems to be confession time, I am an EX-NHS employee....does that get me a better seat???? >:E
saltarelle nuage DG

Castagnari Mory DG

Strigulino

• The Night Owl
  • @strigulino on Twitter
    • Strig on YouTube
« Reply #105 on: September 07, 2012, 05:22:00 PM »

Not a better seat, but tea and sympathy perhaps.  :)
~~~~~~~~~~~
The Strig

"World-famous poker player. Give her a good poker and she'll play any tune you like." - The Goon Show
Pets:  Two cats, one husband, a D/G Hohner Morgane, a C/F Liliput, a dark and mysterious anglo concertina, a Streb, a Giordy...

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #106 on: September 07, 2012, 05:26:39 PM »

I'm the father of an ex-Biomed Scientist at Basildon University Hospital so I need tea and sympathy as I paid for a fair bit of her degree  (:)

Strigulino

• The Night Owl
  • @strigulino on Twitter
    • Strig on YouTube
« Reply #107 on: September 07, 2012, 05:51:18 PM »

I used to work there.  Royal Sussex County, Brighton General Hospital and the now deserted Royal Alexandra.  I think we may have already had this conversation at some point.  :)
~~~~~~~~~~~
The Strig

Lyn

• Respected Sage
« Reply #108 on: September 08, 2012, 11:47:13 AM »

So, we're ok on the First Aid front.... ;)

saltarelle nuage DG

Castagnari Mory DG

Dunny

• Regular debater
« Reply #109 on: September 10, 2012, 11:21:48 AM »

I'm the father of an ex-Biomed Scientist at Basildon University Hospital so I need tea and sympathy as I paid for a fair bit of her degree  (:)

My wife's a nurse, so I deffo need tea and sympathy  >:E

terry

• Wesson Coracle in C
« Reply #110 on: September 11, 2012, 04:32:39 PM »

Intermediate - Know a few tunes but can't play them flawlessly yet.  Can find a given note given time to find the row start and count from there.  Has at least attempted basses but sometimes does "oom" when they are supposed to be doing "pah".  Scared of the dusty end.

That would put me in the Intermediate group, I think.

Can play quite a few tunes but no idea of when to go "OOM" or "PAH", so tend to ignore that side of the box. ??? Indeed my "C" box that Rees made for me has no base end. ;)

Terry (:)
1 Row Hohner 4 stop in G
1 Row Hohner 4 stop in D

malcolmbebb

• In dampest Dorset, on the soggy south coast.
« Reply #111 on: September 11, 2012, 04:47:41 PM »

Indeed my "C" box that Rees made for me has no base end. ;)

Really? What do you stand it on?  >:E
Dino BPII.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire."

terry

• Wesson Coracle in C
« Reply #112 on: September 11, 2012, 05:00:37 PM »

Indeed my "C" box that Rees made for me has no base end. ;)

Really? What do you stand it on?  >:E

Bl**dy spell checkers!!!!!!

Tery :|bl
1 Row Hohner 4 stop in G
1 Row Hohner 4 stop in D

malcolmbebb

• In dampest Dorset, on the soggy south coast.
« Reply #113 on: September 11, 2012, 05:06:11 PM »

Coincidentally, Rees mentioned the "Coracle" to me only last night, and here you are with a picture of it.
Dino BPII.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire."

terry

• Wesson Coracle in C
« Reply #114 on: September 11, 2012, 05:51:58 PM »

Coincidentally, Rees mentioned the "Coracle" to me only last night, and here you are with a picture of it.

Here are some more pictures

A great little box.

I will bring it down to the Fleece and you can have a play on it if you are there.

Terry (:)
1 Row Hohner 4 stop in G
1 Row Hohner 4 stop in D

Strigulino

• The Night Owl
  • @strigulino on Twitter
    • Strig on YouTube
« Reply #115 on: September 12, 2012, 12:00:50 PM »

I think the only melodeon I have on my wishlist now is a Streb... but that will be MANY years down the line!
~~~~~~~~~~~
The Strig

Lyn

• Respected Sage
« Reply #116 on: September 13, 2012, 04:22:46 PM »

Holidaying in Ireland at the moment....seriously tempted by a chromatic BC...............(as well as, NOT instead of, my DG!!!!!)
saltarelle nuage DG

Castagnari Mory DG

sue higham

« Reply #117 on: September 13, 2012, 05:12:55 PM »

Excellent temptation, Lyn - Go for it!

Strigulino

• The Night Owl
  • @strigulino on Twitter
    • Strig on YouTube
« Reply #118 on: September 17, 2012, 01:51:03 PM »

OK, current update on the Playgroup.

We have capacity of 30-35 ish for the room and about 26 people that have expressed an interest from definite to vague.   A couple of those are no longer on the forum.  So it looks like anyone that wants to come can come as a drop-in thing.  People that have already expressed interest will get priority, if we do get hordes of new people turning up.  There's a pub next door to the barn if you don't get in.  :D

Price is basically me splitting the £75 hire cost amongst everyone that comes, so it will be between £2.50 and £7.50 probably, payable on the day when I've counted heads.  I may be minded to be lenient with students, OAPs, NHS workers, all the usual concessions. 

Saturday 24th November, Fleece Inn, Bretforton (http://www.thefleeceinn.co.uk/) WR11 7JE
Morning and afternoon playtimes to be confirmed.  Lunch not provided but the Fleece do food.

Playtime is for toddlers!  Slooooooow.  We may well, space permitting, subdivide according to how beginnery we actually are, but we'll have to see who turns up on the day and work it from there.  There will be an easy tune to prepare for group play (I think Donkey Riding has been suggested), and everyone is encouraged to work on a party piece to have a try at solo performance (if they want to).  I know this means we are going to get many renditions of Buttered Peas and Speed the Plough, but that's just par for the course.  :) 

There will also be instruction in basic box care and repair from Lester, and everyone is encouraged to bring various kinds of squeezebox for people to have a look at/a go of.

Other than that, it's quite an informal mingling and shindig for the newer player.  Evening we will probably have an impromptu session, to which more experienced players are welcome to come along and show off, in return for letting us be during the day *smirk*.

I am told there is camping available, although self and spouse are staying at a nearby Premier Inn.  For those staying over or willing to come back on Sunday Lunchtime, the local morris sides will be dancing out, so you will get to see melodeons used in anger.  :D

When I've got the times etc. to hand I will do a PDF of a programme with all the details and things on, and mail it round on forum to everyone who was keen. 
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 01:53:35 PM by Strigulino »
~~~~~~~~~~~
The Strig

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #119 on: September 17, 2012, 03:21:41 PM »

The Strig is officially a hero (:)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 18   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal