Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Melodeon tunings - range  (Read 2687 times)

jonathan

Melodeon tunings - range
« on: August 12, 2012, 07:17:53 PM »

I'm considering my first melodeon. The basic idea is to have it as a recording partner with instruments I already play, with the native key D/Bm. Probably mostly chordal backup instead of melodic playing. After hearing a few on YouTube, it's the sound of the Pokerwork that appeals to me the most. So I'm looking hard at A/D and D/G tunings.

I've been looking at the keyboard charts for the Pokerwork, what I'm getting is that the bass notes are the same but the treble side shifts up with the D/G. So you have a wider spread with the D/G than the A/D. But then it's missing a few notes in between the bass and treble. The A/D on the other hand seems to have all the midrange notes but of course doesn't go as high.

So I want to ask the players of both types which they prefer and how they deal with the limitations, difference in character, that sort of thing.

forrest

• Other Places::
  • digits still functioning
Re: Melodeon tunings - range
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2012, 08:33:15 PM »

....I've been looking at the keyboard charts for the Pokerwork, what I'm getting is that the bass notes are the same but the treble side shifts up with the D/G. So you have a wider spread with the D/G than the A/D. But then it's missing a few notes in between the bass and treble. The A/D on the other hand seems to have all the midrange notes but of course doesn't go as high.

So I want to ask the players of both types which they prefer and how they deal with the limitations, difference in character, that sort of thing.

Welcome to the forum, Jonathan....When you state that the D/G has a 'wider spread', it's important to remember that you are merely shifting the treble end up a fourth. The upper end of the G row (on a D/G) is quite squeeky indeed. Whether those notes are useful is a matter of personal taste.

You might also find that certain tunes sound great in certain keys....and lose their sparkle altogether in others, even if played on a high quality well-tuned box. This usually necessitates the acquisition of (dare I say it) more than one melodeon. Right now, my personal stable allows me to play in A, Bb, B, C, D, Eb, E, F, F# and G. This is allowed by four boxes, two of them are three-rows. I can reliably state that one can play a tune in any of those keys, but it will sound better in some and worse in others, at least to my ears. If you are performing vocals, then of course you want to use keys that are comfortable for the voice. Given your statement about playing in D and Bm, it would seem that an A/D box would be a good choice.....or if you are not totally committed to a Pokerwork, you could consider a 3-row ADG. There are some nice old wooden Hohners still out there in the world....hope that's of some help!

Edited to ensure coherency  8)
« Last Edit: August 12, 2012, 08:48:37 PM by j.w.forrest »

Québécois

• Accordez-vous donc, c'est si beau, l'accordéon!
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2012, 03:27:08 PM »

<...>Given your statement about playing in D and Bm, it would seem that an A/D box would be a good choice.....or if you are not totally committed to a Pokerwork, you could consider a 3-row ADG. There are some nice old wooden Hohners still out there in the world....hope that's of some help!
I would say that ADG is a bit like the "swiss knife" of melodeons. I used a Corona II for many years but found it a bit big and heavy and turned to a smaller Pokerwork-sized B/C for versatility.

Hohner Morgane D/G, pre-Erica Hohner in C/F and G/C,
Hohner Erica A/D, Roland FR-18

george garside

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2012, 05:28:55 PM »

....I've been looking at the keyboard charts for the Pokerwork, what I'm getting is that the bass notes are the same but the treble side shifts up with the D/G. So you have a wider spread with the D/G than the A/D. But then it's missing a few notes in between the bass and treble. The A/D on the other hand seems to have all the midrange notes but of course doesn't go as high.

Welcome to the forum, Jonathan....When you state that the D/G has a 'wider spread', it's important to remember that you are merely shifting the treble end up a fourth. The upper end of the G row (on a D/G) is quite squeeky indeed. Whether those notes are useful is a matter of personal taste.

You might also find that certain tunes sound great in certain keys....and lose their sparkle altogether in others, even if played on a high quality well-tuned box. This usually necessitates the acquisition of (dare I say it) more than one melodeon. Right now, my personal stable allows me to play in A, Bb, B, C, D, Eb, E, F, F# and G. This is allowed by four boxes, two of them are three-rows. I can reliably state that one can play a tune in any of those keys, but it will sound better in some and worse in others, at least to my ears. If you are performing vocals, then of course you want to use keys that are comfortable for the voice. Given your statement about playing in D and Bm, it would seem that an A/D box would be a good choice.....or if you are not totally committed to a Pokerwork, you could consider a 3-row ADG. There are some nice old wooden Hohners still out there in the world....hope that's of some help!

Edited to ensure coherency  8)

Oh dear - 4 boxes for 10 keys when you can have just one 3 row  boxthat will do all of  those  plus 2 more!

george ;)
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

forrest

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2012, 10:43:03 PM »

Oh dear - 4 boxes for 10 keys when you can have just one 3 row  boxthat will do all of  those  plus 2 more!
george ;)

Well, I'm too old to start over, George. Besides: one box? Where's the Madness in that?   ;D

jonathan

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2012, 08:27:03 AM »

JW, thanks for the analysis. I thought about a 3 row but don't really want a Latin sound. I will try to listen to some on YouTube but so far it's Pokerwork for tone. A store owner recommends the Morgane but I thought it was too mellow. I also like the idea of a few extra accidentals to make diminished chords and such.

I've been playing around with these notes on the piano, and I seem to prefer chords voiced closer together rather than spread out. So I'm leaning towards the A/D. The other instruments involved would be soprano uke in D and banjo restrung to low D. Heck, even my guitars are tuned down to D. I used to play a lot of G but am liking the sharper keys these days.

The input about high notes getting squeaky is just what I need to know about. I would probably agree with that judgement. Every instrument has its ideal range. 

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2012, 09:02:22 AM »

.... I also like the idea of a few extra accidentals to make diminished chords and such.
... I used to play a lot of G but am liking the sharper keys these days.

...The input about high notes getting squeaky is just what I need to know about. I would probably agree with that judgement. Every instrument has its ideal range.

Looking at the points I've picked out above you would do well to consider a Bb/Eb Club box.  Not available new but there are refurbished 1930s ones to be had.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

george garside

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2012, 10:01:34 AM »

The choice also depends to some degree on who you are going to be playing with and what their instrument(s) can manage.

george
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

forrest

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2012, 02:26:39 PM »

JW, thanks for the analysis. I thought about a 3 row but don't really want a Latin sound. I will try to listen to some on YouTube but so far it's Pokerwork for tone........ I also like the idea of a few extra accidentals to make diminished chords and such.

The 'Latin sound' is primarily the product of the player's style and the repertoire, and does not really come from the box. I know what you mean about the Pokerwork, though. When set up right, they have a wonderful distinctive sound,  and they are light and handy as Québécois mentioned. Theo's suggestion is a good one, the old Hohner Erika Clubs are small and light, superb "Hohner" sound, and have an extra row of accidentals. But you would have to have it redone into A/D, as I don't believe they were ever made in that key. You are in the right neighborhood for that!  (:)

jonathan

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2012, 07:33:21 AM »

I was listening to a couple of 3 rows on U2b last night, a Compadre in A/D/G and a Corona II Classic. Didn't particularly care for the Compadre, loved the Corona II Classic, sweet but still not quite the character I had in mind. Kind of a slick, pro sound, whereas I was thinking of getting a monkey and a little red cap.

Thanks for all the advice and I'll check back again in case there's more.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal