Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Theme of the Month for July 2012: Learn A Melnet User's Tune!  (Read 20417 times)

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
Re: Theme of the Month for July 2012: Learn A Melnet User's Tune!
« Reply #40 on: July 18, 2012, 01:04:23 AM »

... and once it finishes processing, here's the other one:

Here's Anahata's great Orangeville Reel, a tune ideally suited for a one row melodeon.

But.... it also fits quite nicely on a 7 key chinese toy melodeon in C that I got for John and Scott (my 5 and 4 year olds) recently, so I thought I'd give it a go, and see what these little melodeons can do. Quite a lot apparently, but it's hard work! I've added a piano backing via chordbot on my iphone, blanked out one of the reed banks inside the melodeon, and added (a lot) of reverb. Voila. Sorry Anahata, but it had to be done, and I do like your version of Serpentina on a similar toy melodeon!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HzBrffdg2E

Cheers,

Clive

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #41 on: July 18, 2012, 08:39:20 AM »

Unfortunately I can't hear this yet as I'm at work. I could plug in some speakers but I'd better not...
Anyway I'm sure there's no need to apologise, you're right it's a 1-row tune and I'm sure it works very well on a toy melodeon. Another "why didn't I think of that?" moment... Also the piano backing is very appropriate - I should get Mary on keyboard for some of these tunes for the solo album people keep telling me I should make.

I hope to do some ToTM catching up tonight, by the way.
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Jack Humphreys

• tunesbyjackhumphreys
« Reply #42 on: July 18, 2012, 10:32:50 AM »

Jackdiatonique's Stefan's Waltz: http://youtu.be/rHBRjm7jB8g
Played reasonably straight (for once) on the Castagnari Mory in D/G, which puts this in E minor, rather than Jack's D minor original (which is here, by the way)

Thanks so much Clive. I'm very well chuffed to hear this and have you choose it. (:). It's a real privilege  to hear you  find/or create beauties in this tune which I didn't know were there.  I love the melancholy and your bellows control whch makes individual notes sing with their own shape.  My version is brisker, and angrier in the A music.... but my wife prefers your tempo and sensitivity, (darn it.) .... Only in music of course. ;)

I had thought that it was the chord structure and bass line that mattered most about this tune, especially the first clashing E chord (in the D minor version) in my original, and the familiar chord  sequence in the B music.   But, for me,  your choice of different chords gives a purer feel and avoids any risk of Parisien  cheesiness.  So this shows that a tune can do its thing without its original harmonies.

Stefan is Stefan Freedman of Ipswich, one of the best circle dance teachers and choreographers.

The  notation for my version, including chords and electronic play, is here,  in E minor  for GD boxes
http://www.noteflight.com/scores/view/c0bce879fe467b55601269d5321eb1ac565f78a7

I look forward to hearing your further versions of our tunes Clive.  Thanks again

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #43 on: July 18, 2012, 11:21:26 AM »

Jackdiatonique's Stefan's Waltz: http://youtu.be/rHBRjm7jB8g
Played reasonably straight (for once) on the Castagnari Mory in D/G, which puts this in E minor, rather than Jack's D minor original (which is here, by the way)

Thanks so much Clive. I'm very well chuffed to hear this and have you choose it. (:). It's a real privilege  to hear you  find/or create beauties in this tune which I didn't know were there.  I love the melancholy and your bellows control whch makes individual notes sing with their own shape.  My version is brisker, and angrier in the A music.... but my wife prefers your tempo and sensitivity, (darn it.) .... Only in music of course. ;)

I had thought that it was the chord structure and bass line that mattered most about this tune, especially the first clashing E chord (in the D minor version) in my original, and the familiar chord  sequence in the B music.   But, for me,  your choice of different chords gives a purer feel and avoids any risk of Parisien  cheesiness.  So this shows that a tune can do its thing without its original harmonies.

Stefan is Stefan Freedman of Ipswich, one of the best circle dance teachers and choreographers.

The  notation for my version, including chords and electronic play, is here,  in E minor  for GD boxes
http://www.noteflight.com/scores/view/c0bce879fe467b55601269d5321eb1ac565f78a7

I look forward to hearing your further versions of our tunes Clive.  Thanks again

Glad you liked my version!  :Ph It really sticks in the ear, but once I'd gone off and 'learned' it, I found I had deviated from the original rather more than I expected/intended; often the way when I learn stuff, I'm afraid! But like many great tunes, I think it stands up well to interpretation.

Cheers,

Clive

Anahata

• Treewind Music
« Reply #44 on: July 18, 2012, 07:03:36 PM »

Orangeville Reel, a tune ideally suited for a one row melodeon.

But.... it also fits quite nicely on a 7 key chinese toy melodeon in C that I got for John and Scott (my 5 and 4 year olds) recently

That's absolutely lovely, and quite possibly an improvement on the original.

Anahata

• Treewind Music
« Reply #45 on: July 18, 2012, 08:51:05 PM »

Here, yet again, are two of Ollie's tunes, Polperro Bay and End of an Era

Because I planned to do a whole bunch of videos tonight, to save time I ran these together, in reverse order of composition because it would have been strange to have the slow tune after a faster one. Anyway they make a nice set together.

http://youtu.be/oUR5zIgyZ80

Anahata

• Treewind Music
« Reply #46 on: July 18, 2012, 09:45:30 PM »

And also this: LadyDeTemps' Grey Day, played on the C/F Club as promised...

http://youtu.be/bxkgNN3BLlU

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #47 on: July 18, 2012, 11:09:37 PM »

Well, that's rather blown me away. What a great (and unusual) piece - well done LdT, and well played Anahata

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #48 on: July 18, 2012, 11:16:02 PM »

Orangeville Reel, a tune ideally suited for a one row melodeon.
That's absolutely lovely, and quite possibly an improvement on the original.

Blush - not sure I would go that far! I'm very pleasantly surprised by the ... erm... musicality those little toy boxes are capable of though. Probably the key thing that made it playable was to leave the basses out totally (hence the piano track), which gave me a fighting chance of controlling the airflow when playing at this pace. Then it's just a matter of physical hard work as I fight the bellows! I found myself with the bass end more or less steady, moving the treble end in and out though - wonder what's that's about? I rather like the harmonica effect that comes from the reeds - I guess they're harmonica reeds inside, which would make sense from a cost perspective. I did hear a long time ago probably a melodeon urban legend about someone who'd swapped a bank of reeds on a 4 stop out and fitted harmonica reeds to give this sort of sound - never seen it/heard it actually done though.

Cheers,

Clive

Jack Humphreys

• tunesbyjackhumphreys
« Reply #49 on: July 19, 2012, 07:37:33 AM »

Sending special appreciation to the composer LdT for this highly original atmopheric piece. Echoes of  Kurt Weill. Really making use of the character of our instrument. I can imagine the kind of lyrics that could suit  the mood. And, as always, beautifully interpreted by Anahata.  Thanks for bringing the tune back to our attention.

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
  • Castagnari Tommy D/G, Hohner 1 row 4 stop in C
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #50 on: July 19, 2012, 09:00:27 AM »

Oooh *does happy dance* (It makes me happy when my tunes get played).
I like it on the C/F gives it that sadness still, but not so rumbly as on the D/G. Sounds continental.

Sending special appreciation to the composer LdT for this highly original atmopheric piece. Echoes of  Kurt Weill. Really making use of the character of our instrument. I can imagine the kind of lyrics that could suit  the mood. And, as always, beautifully interpreted by Anahata.  Thanks for bringing the tune back to our attention.
Its a bit of a 'EMO teenager' tune. If you've got lyrics for it I'll be interested to hear them.
I did at the time come up with the terrible lyrics "its a grey and stormy day today, that's why I can't go out and play...."

Who is Kurt Weill?
And on a side note I have no problem with pepole tweaking the rhythm, speed or playing it in different keys. :)
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 09:08:09 AM by ladydetemps »

Anahata

• Treewind Music
« Reply #51 on: July 19, 2012, 09:13:57 AM »

Oooh *does happy dance* (It makes me happy when my tunes get played).
Don't I know it. You're not the only one  (:)

I like it on the C/F gives it that sadness still, but not so rumbly as on the D/G.
That must depend on the actual box it's played on. C/F is a tone lower than D/G, so I'd expect it to be more rumbly if anything. And that C/F club has deep basses!

Anyway, it's a tune that really caught my imagination on first encounter, and as Jack implies, worthy of bringing back to everyone's attention.

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #52 on: July 19, 2012, 09:22:28 AM »

Who is Kurt Weill?
Well known German composer 1900 - 1950. Had to flee Germany to America to escape the Nazis.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kurt_Weill

Especially famous for his 'Dreigroschenoper' (The Threepenny Opera) set in Victorian London. Lots of quirky dark, bitter-sweet music.

The well known song 'Mack the Knife' starts at about 3' 33" into this video.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #53 on: July 19, 2012, 09:33:21 AM »

Who is Kurt Weill?
Well known German composer 1900 - 1950. Had to flee Germany to America to escape the Nazis.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kurt_Weill

Especially famous for his 'Dreigroschenoper' (The Threepenny Opera) set in Victorian London. Lots of quirky dark, bitter-sweet music.

The well known song 'Mack the Knife' starts at about 3' 33" into this video.
I didn't know mack the knife was a sort of 'folk song'. Its one I like to dance to. I like the Louis Armstrong version.
Maybe I should try playing it?

Anyway, it's a tune that really caught my imagination on first encounter, and as Jack implies, worthy of bringing back to everyone's attention.
Thanks. :)
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 09:38:35 AM by ladydetemps »

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #54 on: July 19, 2012, 09:45:20 AM »

I didn't know mack the knife was a sort of 'folk song'. Its one I like to dance to. I like the Louis Armstrong version.
I wouldn't describe Mack the Knife as a folk song. It was meddup by Kurt Weill for the Threepenny Opera. No more a folk song than 'Maria' from West Side Story, or 'If I were a Rich Man' from Fiddler on the Roof.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #55 on: July 19, 2012, 09:46:43 AM »

I wouldn't describe Mack the Knife as a folk song. It was meddup by Kurt Weill for the Threepenny Opera. No more a folk song than 'Maria' from West Side Story, or 'If I were a Rich Man' from Fiddler on the Roof.
I hate to go all mudcat (you are totally ok to have own personal opinion of what is folk). Just to clarify.... So are all the music hall songs/tunes not 'folk' either as they were written and performed on stage? ;)

« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 09:49:55 AM by ladydetemps »

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #56 on: July 19, 2012, 10:08:25 AM »

I hate to go all mudcat (you are totally ok to have own personal opinion of what is folk). Just to clarify.... So are all the music hall songs/tunes not 'folk' either as they were written and performed on stage? ;)
**Can of Worms alert**
I think that most people would agree that songs written by a known composer for the stage are not 'folk', although some of them might be in the style of traditional music. Is Mozart's 'Marriage of Figaro' or Britten's 'Peter Grimes' folk music? I would be very surprised if anyone would think of them as such.

There is also the issue of 'contemporary folk songs/tunes' written by known composers in a traditional style - just as this thread is all about. These could well get classified as folk - you might even hear them performed in 'folk' clubs or at 'folk' festivals even though they are recently composed pieces.

Tunes which we today accept as 'folk' (Morris tunes are a good example) were almost certainly written/composed by someone a long time ago, but we don't know who that was, and the tunes have passed into the 'tradition'.

I think most people would broadly agree on what folk is, or is not, without invoking strict definitions. However, some definitions are dangerous animals which tend to escape from their pens and come and bite you when you're not looking.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
« Reply #57 on: July 19, 2012, 10:41:40 AM »

Is Mozart's 'Marriage of Figaro' or Britten's 'Peter Grimes' folk music? I would be very surprised if anyone would think of them as such.

I think most people would broadly agree on what folk is, or is not, without invoking strict definitions. However, some definitions are dangerous animals which tend to escape from their pens and come and bite you when you're not looking.

I agree with you, Steve, about the danger of strict definitions. While I doubt whether anyone would class the Marriage of Figaro and Peter Grimes as folk music, what about the well-known session tune, Michael Turner's Waltz? Wasn't that written by Mozart? Then there are tunes like the Jenny Lind Polka and the Rochdale Coconut dance, both session staples that most people would class as folk music, despite the fact that they originated in the music hall. In my opinion, folk music is anything that folk musicians like to play.
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #58 on: July 19, 2012, 10:49:44 AM »

[[[ ADMIN: Shall we politely avoid a'what is folk' debate here please?  ;D

Some things are better handled by the  erm... "philosophers"  over at mudcat.org (shudder!)  :o ]]]

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #59 on: July 19, 2012, 10:56:22 AM »

[[[ ADMIN: Shall we politely avoid a'what is folk' debate here please?  ;D

Some things are better handled by the  erm... "philosophers"  over at mudcat.org (shudder!)  :o ]]]
You are probably quite right in your request Clive, although sometimes these issues are worth gently airing. I hope we are a far more polite and sensitive bunch here than at mudcat!
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal