Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Theme of the Month for July 2012: Learn A Melnet User's Tune!  (Read 20416 times)

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
Re: Theme of the Month for July 2012: Learn A Melnet User's Tune!
« Reply #60 on: July 19, 2012, 01:16:45 PM »

Back on topic (sort of) nd for completeness here's one I prepared earlier.

Clive's Parsley's Hornpipe before The Steamboat Hornpipe done for ToTM in November 2010
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FfhhLzRzVg

Only once though the relevant tune, unfortunately.
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
  • Castagnari Tommy D/G, Hohner 1 row 4 stop in C
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #61 on: July 22, 2012, 08:50:06 AM »

http://soundcloud.com/i-k-3/sounds-from-saturday-morning-1

Breezy Hornpipe, by LDT (Ladydetemps).  When I was going through the archive this owas one that stuck in my mind.
Thanks for recording my tune. :)
 If you hadn't have put it in the note I would of spotted the legendary hohner clack anywhere. ;)

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #62 on: July 24, 2012, 12:59:43 AM »

Here's my take on DanCeekey's wonderful little mazurka, Mazurka du Lundi Perdu:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYOkCTSk1p0

Played simple and straight on the Hohner Preciosa in Bb/Eb, though this tune will fit on any 8 bass 2 row box very easily (a low B in D/G speak helps though).

A really nice tune Dan - thanks for writing it!

Cheers,

Clive

AirTime

« Reply #63 on: July 24, 2012, 02:45:26 AM »

Played simple and straight on the Hohner Preciosa in Bb/Eb, though this tune will fit on any 8 bass 2 row box very easily (a low B in D/G speak helps though).

Just lovely!  Wonderful tune, beautifully played!   (:)
1920's BbEb Hohner; 1920's  AD Koch; 1910 (?) One-row Hohner in D,  1910's GCB Maga Ercole; ; AD 1950's Pistelli, CF Sandpiper, CF Preciosa, BbEb Preciosa.

DanCeekey

« Reply #64 on: July 24, 2012, 05:35:02 PM »

Hi Clive, I've listened to your interpretation and I find it very intresting. Thanks for making a cover of my composition.  (:) Daniel

Cheers,

Clive

forrest

• Other Places::
  • digits still functioning
« Reply #65 on: July 25, 2012, 06:33:50 PM »

This was an excellent opportunity to learn a tune I have admired for some time. It's Sandy's lovely and poignant composition, "The Fighting Temeraire", which she says was inspired by Turner's classic painting.
 It is played on my 1920's vintage Supertone in Bb/Eb recorded in stereo, and then a reverb/echo effect applied to one track to make it sound a bit more 'atmospheric'. I have also included a few improper notes, which I regret. And I also wish to thank Sandy not only for offering this beautiful tune, but for demonstrating to me (and others I'm sure) the subtle possibilities of those 8 buttons on the left side of the box.  ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFiTymQIxH0[/url]
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 06:36:38 PM by j.w.forrest »

Anahata

• Treewind Music
« Reply #66 on: July 25, 2012, 06:56:54 PM »

That's a very nice performance and recording. "Atmospheric" - you're not kidding!

(and it's good somebody's done that tune)

Sandy

• 'Musical Landlady'
« Reply #67 on: July 26, 2012, 10:47:40 AM »

I have also included a few improper notes, which I regret. And I also wish to thank Sandy not only for offering this beautiful tune, but for demonstrating to me (and others I'm sure) the subtle possibilities of those 8 buttons on the left side of the box.  ;)

Well I'm blown away J.W. I absolutely adore that and all the adjustments. To me it is what I love about folk music and the way it evolves. I hope to pinch some of your ideas too  8). Beautiful atmospheric playing and I really like where you put the bass notes.

Thank you muchly.  (:)

Sandy

arty

« Reply #68 on: July 26, 2012, 11:20:08 AM »

What a beautiful piece of music that is! I must congratulate Sandy on the composition and JW on the performance. And how interesting it is that this music was written in response to Turner's painting of The Fighting Temeraire. It is said that "Art comes from Art" - well this is a perfect example.

Hats off to you both!
Pre-Pokerwork C/F, Castagnari Laura G/C, Beltuna Sara 3 A/D, Castagnari Sander Special D/G

Daddy Long Les

• Forum Librarian
    • Daddy Long Les
« Reply #69 on: July 26, 2012, 12:55:09 PM »

This was an excellent opportunity to learn a tune I have admired for some time. It's Sandy's lovely and poignant composition, "The Fighting Temeraire", which she says was inspired by Turner's classic painting.
 It is played on my 1920's vintage Supertone in Bb/Eb recorded in stereo, and then a reverb/echo effect applied to one track to make it sound a bit more 'atmospheric'. I have also included a few improper notes, which I regret. And I also wish to thank Sandy not only for offering this beautiful tune, but for demonstrating to me (and others I'm sure) the subtle possibilities of those 8 buttons on the left side of the box.  ;)

Absolutely beautiful in every way.  I love your use of effects and the tone of the box is to die for.  Thank you for posting and to Sandy for writing.
Castagnari Lily DG, Dino Baffetti Binci DG, Hohner Erica DG, Hohner Erica GC, Hohner Liliput Bb Eb, Sybilla Brand GCF, Hohner Compadre ADG, Hohner 4 stop in C

forrest

• Other Places::
  • digits still functioning
« Reply #70 on: July 27, 2012, 03:34:01 PM »

@Sandy:  I'm so glad you like it. Again, a few misplaced notes, but I was in a rush to complete as the month is slipping away. It's getting more comfortable to play now. I tried to model your first recording, which I like the best for the simplicity of it.

@ All: Thanks for the kind encouragement.....it's quite a boost when one is learning a tune that is also a joy to play..... 8)

Ellisteph

« Reply #71 on: July 29, 2012, 03:42:48 PM »

Here's my version of Jack Humphreys Scottische Carrer d'Isabel. I've played around with timing on the B part; not sure if I should have done now!
Thanks for the tune Jack.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pr1nnRbVRic&feature=plcp
Salterelle Connemara III, Loffet Pro C/F

Jack Humphreys

• tunesbyjackhumphreys
« Reply #72 on: July 29, 2012, 09:23:48 PM »

Wow - thanks for doing my tune Ellis. ;D I like the way you play it proper melodeon style with the push-pull  giving it strength and rhythm.  Interesting to hear the effect of  different chord choices on the character of the basic melody.  All variations are welcome, as it's such a compliment to have you learn the tune.  And thanks for your previous encouragements.
A bientot. 

Ellisteph

« Reply #73 on: July 29, 2012, 10:30:22 PM »

Wow - thanks for doing my tune Ellis. ;D I like the way you play it proper melodeon style with the push-pull  giving it strength and rhythm.  Interesting to hear the effect of  different chord choices on the character of the basic melody.  All variations are welcome, as it's such a compliment to have you learn the tune.  And thanks for your previous encouragements.
A bientot.
You're welcome Jack. I learnt it from the original dots (leaving out the sharps in the B music) before I heard you play it. The chords seemed to suggest themselves. Hearing you play it sounds much bouncier, probably due to more cross row playing. I think I made it hard for myself playing in Am on a D/G, so perhaps I'll try it in Em now - I might even get it to sound as the composer intended!
Salterelle Connemara III, Loffet Pro C/F

JohnAndy

• Regular debater
  • John Barber
« Reply #74 on: July 29, 2012, 11:03:32 PM »

Inspired by Jack's version a few pages ago in thread, and spurred on by the fact that I'll be working on this tune at Folkworks in about a week from now, here is my second ever Melnet submission, another version of Theo Gibb's haunting tune "The Ruby": http://snd.sc/P7il5e

Sorry Theo if it doesn't have the feel you intended - I fear it may be rather faster than you'd want it (and rather faster than my fingers are happy about as well!).

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #75 on: July 31, 2012, 12:05:48 AM »

Thank you for learning my tune, and don't worry about the speed,  it took me a couple of weeks  of reglar practice to learn to play it as slowly as I heard it I'm my head!
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Peter Savage

• Respected Sage
« Reply #76 on: July 31, 2012, 07:36:42 AM »

Here's my version of Ollie's lovely tune, Polperro Bay, played in C on a Loffet G/C. 

http://youtu.be/A_ui3YmKgmg

Thanks for Ollie for kindly providing me with the dots in C (attached in case anyone needs this).
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 07:44:54 AM by ScannAr »

Anahata

• Treewind Music
« Reply #77 on: July 31, 2012, 06:33:07 PM »

Following Matt's suggestion, how about simply having a permanent "own compositions" thread/section?

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #78 on: August 01, 2012, 12:30:23 AM »

.... hmmm, yes, that does sound something worth trying!

We'll move on to a new theme for now; late submissions as ever always welcome - just stick them on the end!

Cooper

• Gaillrd G/C/#,Casta Allain8 GC,Lofft CF, giord ad
    • Cooper's homepage
« Reply #79 on: August 30, 2012, 08:55:46 AM »

http://youtu.be/8X2iiJ4b7r4

A couple of tunes,

Cooper's Bourree le Menage: which I came upon linking from a non Cooper 'on site' posting to an 'off site' resource which described it as a Melnet user's tune! Then worked backwards into site to confirm eligible! Serendepity. In hindsight I would add a B bass note to make the final chord ambiguous and closer to that intended. I did revise some of Cooper's  chords in the B section to suit my ear. Hopefully forgivable.

I was on holidays for 2 months, so didnt notice this until now. Cool that you are playing my tune!
You are ofcourse always free to change anything to your liking, and your chords for the b-part sound fine.
Thx!
W
Please correct my English, it's been a while, and i like to learn.
And don't be so polite! I know i must be typing tons of stuff that a native speaker would say differently...please enlighten me.

www.wouterkuyper.nl
www.lirio.nl
www.trekzakacademie.nl
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal