Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Classic Cajun Tunes  (Read 11266 times)

Larus

Classic Cajun Tunes
« on: July 04, 2012, 02:38:52 PM »

Hello all,
what would be considered the classic Cajun tunes for a beginner to learn.
Preferably not too demanding on me and my old Hohner 1 row 4 stop (in D), also being on sheetmusic would help as well.
The reason for this is that my starting point to learn tunes is getting hold of the sheetmusic and putting them into my own form of "tab"
(I know there's ABC, but it doesn't work for me).
Thanks

RPr

Re: Classic Cajun Tunes
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2012, 02:54:47 PM »

Here are six that will get you started.
Allons a Lafayette
Bosco Stomp
Acadian Two step
Lacassine Special
Johnny Can’t Dance
The Back Door

But remember with Cajun, it is not the notes that make the tune; it is the pulse and and ornamentation. Also some of these tune are played in "G" on a "C" box.

Good luck and have fun.             

Larus

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2012, 02:59:48 PM »

Thanks for the prompt reply RPr (:)

summerstars

• Respected Sage
    • UK Surnames Genealogy Contact Site
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2012, 06:08:18 PM »

Thanks

abcexplorer (and other abc editors) will also produce standard notation dots for you f you so wish.  find the tunes you want in abc format, load them into your favourite editor and print out sheetmusic - voila!
Dino Binci D/G, Sandpiper 3v D/G, Sandpiper C/F, Hohner Bb/Eb, Pariselle 1 Row in D, Streb

Larus

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2012, 06:57:48 PM »

Thanks

abcexplorer (and other abc editors) will also produce standard notation dots for you f you so wish.  find the tunes you want in abc format, load them into your favourite editor and print out sheetmusic - voila!
Thanks, I'll give it a go. :o

blafleur

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2012, 07:48:03 PM »

Larus, in my humble opinion, you're much better off forgetting sheet music or any type of notation, and get learning dvd's. 2 good ones are by Big Nick and Dirk Powell, both Cajun outsiders, but accomplished musicians with a gift for showing pointers how to get that Cajun sound and some good beginner songs.  Go to Youtube and search for Chris Miller and Love Bridge Waltz, he does a 5 part lesson on that song.

None of the notation will help you at all until you know the song well enough to hum or whistle it, and if you can hum or whistle it, you can pick it out on your own.

Larus

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2012, 08:26:24 PM »

Larus, in my humble opinion, you're much better off forgetting sheet music or any type of notation, and get learning dvd's. 2 good ones are by Big Nick and Dirk Powell, both Cajun outsiders, but accomplished musicians with a gift for showing pointers how to get that Cajun sound and some good beginner songs.  Go to Youtube and search for Chris Miller and Love Bridge Waltz, he does a 5 part lesson on that song.

None of the notation will help you at all until you know the song well enough to hum or whistle it, and if you can hum or whistle it, you can pick it out on your own.
You may well be right (I was told much the same for Irish music) but I have the advantage of knowing my learning strengths and (many) limitations.
In some areas the way I learn tunes is similar to what you suggest.
My method is to get the tune in my head to "whistle standard", then transpose sheetmusic to tab. Constant practice until the tune's "in the fingers" (without tab) and then put my own spin on it.
There are probably "more correct" ways, but this is the way I'm happy learning and I've found this method works for me.
I think it's horses for courses but I really appreciate you taking the time to give me your thoughts on the matter .

blafleur

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2012, 09:53:23 PM »

The reason notation doesn't work very well for Cajun music was mentioned by RPr, it's really hard to notate a Cajun song, because pulse and embellishment is such a part of it, and it's almost impossible to put notation on paper and capture any semblance of the song.  For example, take a song like Mary Had a Little Lamb, it has a very distinct melody that would be easy to notate for a diatonic accordion, and simple embellishments after learning the basic melody would enhance it slightly, at a certain point, too much embellishments would make it lose the melody.  The feel of Cajun music on an accordion starts out at that point, there are really no basic melodies that sound anything like Cajun music.

Whichever way you go, good luck.

Larus

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2012, 11:18:09 PM »

The reason notation doesn't work very well for Cajun music was mentioned by RPr, it's really hard to notate a Cajun song, because pulse and embellishment is such a part of it, and it's almost impossible to put notation on paper and capture any semblance of the song.  For example, take a song like Mary Had a Little Lamb, it has a very distinct melody that would be easy to notate for a diatonic accordion, and simple embellishments after learning the basic melody would enhance it slightly, at a certain point, too much embellishments would make it lose the melody.  The feel of Cajun music on an accordion starts out at that point, there are really no basic melodies that sound anything like Cajun music.

Whichever way you go, good luck.
Thanks for the very interesting (and comprehensive) answer.
Maybe I'll do as you suggest and try to learn a couple of tunes this way (can an old dog learn new tricks!)..
I see there are youtube tutorials (of Cajun music) that build up the song in layers-that might be a starting point.
If nothing else, it'll be an interesting exercise!

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2012, 11:23:25 PM »

blafleur

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2012, 11:58:26 PM »

I think so, Larus. If you're talking about this 5 part series by Chris Miller http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5yRgMUjBpI&feature=results_video&playnext=1&list=PLA8926EF153AD88AE .  Chris is one of the best teachers out there, and his layering concept is pretty effective.  He's a rare person, who, as a great player himself, knows how to come down to the level of beginners, and everyone in between, and know what they need.  But then, he's a music teacher by trade.  And he's a heck of a great guy.

By the way, hope I didn't insult your normal manner of learning, just offering my opinion, which is worth very little.

Mike Hirst

• Primatona IV D/D#, Black Dot B/C, One Row in D
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2012, 12:14:10 AM »

I agree with most of the responses here. When i got bit by the Cajun bug there were on ly 5 recds avail in  uk, so i went La ( c.1981). I did write Cajun tutor c.1983 - never published ( fr reason beyond my ken) would be happy to share, but may take sm time.
"Slip like Freudian, your first and last step to playing yourself like an Accordion" - MF DOOM - Madvillain

melod-ian

• Respected Sage
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2012, 08:04:23 AM »

if you've been playing english / irish for a while, you're best off choosing a tune in 1st position (in your case, the key of D) something like Midland Two Step (although you might find most versions are in C) or Allons a Lafayette.

there are a lot of vids on Youtube where the tunes are played at half speed, you'll be able to see some of the embellishments / grace notes thats are put in.

I found moving on to 2nd position very tricky at first, mainly because there are more pull notes, so you have to think a bit more of bellows control..but tunes are lovely because of the bluesy embellishments you can put in. Try something like Lacassine Special or Mamou Two step 

supposedly there are 3rd, 4th , 5th positions ? :o
3 x Acadian's (C,Bb,A),
Hohner corona iiir (GCF)
PS Black Pearl (DG)
and the old hohner erica (DG)

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2012, 08:48:06 AM »

Is one row in C the right kit for this - happen to have one  ? :D
  _       _    _      _ 

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2012, 09:12:42 AM »

Is one row in C the right kit for this - happen to have one  ? :D

If you want to play in G it is  ;)

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2012, 10:14:00 AM »

A C one-row is most often used in Cajun music.
Eddie LeJeune sang in a very high voice so he used a D accordion.
Zydeco musicians tend to sing at a slightly lower pitch so they favour Bb accordion.
Rees Wesson (accordion builder and mechanic)
Gungrog, Welshpool, Wales, UK
www.melodeons.com

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2012, 12:22:31 PM »

Dangerously sparp teeth .. those alligators .. and "gaiter snapping turtles"  ;)
  _       _    _      _ 

Larus

« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2012, 02:27:10 PM »

Thanks to all for the advice.  :o Much appreciated and certainly no offence taken about my learning method.
I do feel a bit like Bob Hope (in the film Paleface) after all the advice he received prior to facing the gunslinger!
Should be fun having a bash at Cajun, like starting from scratch again. So many questions.
Luckily enough I've looked at previous threads and I definitely won't mention Cajun tuning..........Oh! no, he's mentioned the "T" word.
Enough.........

blafleur

« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2012, 05:23:56 PM »

you're best off choosing a tune in 1st position (in your case, the key of D) something like Midland Two Step (although you might find most versions are in C) or Allons a Lafayette.

I found moving on to 2nd position very tricky at first, mainly because there are more pull notes, so you have to think a bit more of bellows control..but tunes are lovely because of the bluesy embellishments you can put in. Try something like Lacassine Special or Mamou Two step 

For me personally, the second position was easier when I started, and the 1st position songs really hard. Now that I've been playing a while, it's much easier for me to learn a new song in 1st position.  Some embellishments are the same, but most are quite a bit different.  Many songs can be played in both positions, and some in the 3rd position (F on a C accordion, or G on a D).  Allons A Lafayette is one that is played in 1st or 2nd, but it is usually referred to as the Lafayette Two Step when played in 1st position.  The Mamou Two Step is actually played with one part in 1st position and the other part in 2nd position.

Like I said, 3rd position refers to F on a C accordion.  The Mardi Gras song is usually played in A minor, and sometimes in D minor.  Nathan Abshire's Pinegrove Blues is played in D major.  I've never heard those other keys referred to as any certain position, but they may be.

melod-ian

• Respected Sage
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2012, 06:51:50 PM »

20 years of playing English morris music in nothing but first position is a lot to UN-learn

I've been meaning to ask someone about "mardi gras',  Mamou Playboys version starts in Gm then sounds like it goes to F from there? Is that an F box Steve is playing or is it something else ?

you're best off choosing a tune in 1st position (in your case, the key of D) something like Midland Two Step (although you might find most versions are in C) or Allons a Lafayette.

For me personally, the second position was easier when I started, and the 1st position songs really hard. Now that I've been playing a while, it's much easier for me to learn a new song in 1st position.  Some embellishments are the same, but most are quite a bit different.  Many songs can be played in both positions, and some in the 3rd position (F on a C accordion, or G on a D).  Allons A Lafayette is one that is played in 1st or 2nd, but it is usually referred to as the Lafayette Two Step when played in 1st position.  The Mamou Two Step is actually played with one part in 1st position and the other part in 2nd position.

Like I said, 3rd position refers to F on a C accordion.  The Mardi Gras song is usually played in A minor, and sometimes in D minor.  Nathan Abshire's Pinegrove Blues is played in D major.  I've never heard those other keys referred to as any certain position, but they may be.
3 x Acadian's (C,Bb,A),
Hohner corona iiir (GCF)
PS Black Pearl (DG)
and the old hohner erica (DG)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal