Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Classic Cajun Tunes  (Read 11262 times)

Larus

Re: Classic Cajun Tunes
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2012, 07:22:35 PM »

I think so, Larus. If you're talking about this 5 part series by Chris Miller http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5yRgMUjBpI&feature=results_video&playnext=1&list=PLA8926EF153AD88AE .  Chris is one of the best teachers out there, and his layering concept is pretty effective.  He's a rare person, who, as a great player himself, knows how to come down to the level of beginners, and everyone in between, and know what they need.  But then, he's a music teacher by trade.  And he's a heck of a great guy.

By the way, hope I didn't insult your normal manner of learning, just offering my opinion, which is worth very little.
None taken. PM sent.

blafleur

« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2012, 07:26:58 PM »

20 years of playing English morris music in nothing but first position is a lot to UN-learn

I've been meaning to ask someone about "mardi gras',  Mamou Playboys version starts in Gm then sounds like it goes to F from there? Is that an F box Steve is playing or is it something else ?

Interesting about Morris music.  I would say that with Cajun music, there are quite a few more songs in the second position than the first.  I think this is partly because the blends (partial chords) and some riffs Cajun players like so much seem much more useful in the pull postition (?).

Not sure about Steve's Mardi Gras song, I think he recorded it more than once. Which cd are you referencing?

Matthew B

« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2012, 08:16:17 PM »

. . . take a song like Mary Had a Little Lamb, it has a very distinct melody that would be easy to notate for a diatonic accordion, and simple embellishments after learning the basic melody would enhance it slightly, at a certain point, too much embellishments would make it lose the melody.  The feel of Cajun music on an accordion starts out at that point, there are really no basic melodies that sound anything like Cajun music.

This point is nicely illustrated by Marc Savoy's version of the old fiddle tune "Liberty" on an album he made back in the 70s with Dewey Balfa and D. L. Menard.  It's a pretty well-known tune, and easy to find in lots of formats (dots, abc, and so on).  Marc's "Cajun" version sounds just like the "regular" version. 

Except for where it doesn't. 

Which is everywhere. 
Charter Member Presumpscot and Fore River Accordion Club

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2012, 09:54:45 PM »

20 years of playing English morris music in nothing but first position is a lot to UN-learn

I've been meaning to ask someone about "mardi gras',  Mamou Playboys version starts in Gm then sounds like it goes to F from there? Is that an F box Steve is playing or is it something else ?

That would usually be played on a B flat accordion. F major on button 5 push. G minor on button 5 pull.
Rees Wesson (accordion builder and mechanic)
Gungrog, Welshpool, Wales, UK
www.melodeons.com

Larus

« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2012, 09:37:10 AM »

Having a bash at Cajun with an old Honer 4 stop 1 row in D, via tutorials on the "interweb thingie" (and have ordered a beginners DVD).
I'm putting fingers like for like (IE following the exact finger position) and it seems to work at a basic level.
The thing is, the tutorial boxes are in C, mine is in D-will it present problems.
I have very little knowledge of musical theory, so answers in "plain English" would very much be appreciated.

« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 09:40:55 AM by Larus »

Larus

« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2012, 02:17:28 PM »

Thinking about it, another option would be to buy a cheap secondhand box (in C) to practice with. :-\
Perhaps another 1 row Hohner-as I'm used to mine  in D.
Thoughts?

blafleur

« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2012, 04:47:34 PM »

Yes, following along with any instructional video I know of, will be a problem for you because they are all done with a C accordion.  Sorry about that.

You did ask about good beginner songs.  Here are some that were, to me, good beginner songs as far as being easy to pick out and not being too intricate.  As far as recordings using a D accordion, there are a few, but I think some of the betters ones for a beginner would be those by Gerard Dole.  He's a good player, but plays fairly simply, which would make it easier to pick things out.

La Porte En Arriere(Back Door)
Choupique Two Step
Evangeline Two Step
Bayou Pon Pon
Lake Charles Two Step (Chameaux One step)
Midland Two Step
Lacassine Two Step

La Valse De Vacher (Cowboy Waltz)
La Valse de 99 ans (99 year Waltz, Convict Waltz)
La Valse Cadienne (Cajun Waltz)
La Valse Criminelle (Criminal Waltz)
Cherokee Waltz (this is the waltz version of the Midland Two Step)
J'ai Passé Devant Ta Porte
La Valse De Belizaire
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 05:11:57 PM by blafleur »

Larus

« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2012, 05:16:33 PM »

Yes, following along with any instructional video I know of, will be a problem for you because they are all done with a C accordion.  Sorry about that.

You did ask about good beginner songs.  Here are some that were, to me, good beginner songs as far as being easy to pick out and not being too intricate.

La Po rte En Arriere(Back Door)
Choupique Two Step
Evangeline Two Step
Bayou PIN PIN
Lake Charles Two Step (Chateaux One step)
Midland Two Step
Lassen Two Step

La Vales De Vacher (Cowboy Waltz)
La Vales DE 99 ans (99 year Waltz, Convict Waltz)
La Vales Codeine (Cajun Waltz)
La Vales Criminally (Criminal Waltz)
Cherokee Waltz (this is the waltz version of the Midland Two Step)
Kai Passe Devant Ta Po rte
La Vales De Belize
Thanks for the comprehensive list, I recognise some of the titles from looking online.
As for the DVDs being in C, well sooner or later I'll beg, borrow or even buy one to see if I have the ability to learn Cajun without the dots.
Even if I buy one and I find that Cajun playing is not for me, then there's plenty of English music that this type of box would be suitable for.

blafleur

« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2012, 05:21:05 PM »

I just had a great laugh at what the quote machine did to those titles.  By the way, I put an edit on that post regarding D accordion recordings

Thinking bout making a song with the title "la vales codeine".  :||: :D

Larus

« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2012, 05:37:19 PM »

By the way, I put an edit on that post regarding D accordion recordings

I'll have a root around for them. Thanks (:)

blafleur

« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2012, 05:56:15 PM »

Two cd's that I have by Gerard, "A Journey To Louisiana" and "Cajuns De Louisiane-Vilaine Maniere". I don't know for sure it's all with a D accordion, but I think most are.

Larus

« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2012, 06:33:48 PM »

Two cd's that I have by Gerard, "A Journey To Louisiana" and "Cajuns De Louisiane-Vilaine Maniere". I don't know for sure it's all with a D accordion, but I think most are.
Exellent-can't thank you enough. ;D

melod-ian

• Respected Sage
« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2012, 07:16:53 PM »

thanks Rees.. a Bb box is already on the shopping list .(as well as a D, F and Eb!!)

That would usually be played on a B flat accordion. F major on button 5 push. G minor on button 5 pull.
3 x Acadian's (C,Bb,A),
Hohner corona iiir (GCF)
PS Black Pearl (DG)
and the old hohner erica (DG)

robinbid

« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2012, 12:58:43 AM »

Amade Ardoin played a D box and it worked OK for him....

Mr Guy

• New Starter
« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2012, 02:51:35 AM »

You may be interested in my first book of sheet music for the cajun accordion. Check out this link and listen to what it sounds like when played.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNJ7qGFX5TI

Larus

« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2012, 10:31:00 AM »

You may be interested in my first book of sheet music for the cajun accordion. Check out this link and listen to what it sounds like when played.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNJ7qGFX5TI
Thanks, I'll think about that-possibly something for the future
At the moment I'm going down the "Big Nick" DVD route.

Johnf

• Regular debater
« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2012, 06:29:51 PM »

The BEST source for cajun music is Floyd's Record Shop in La Ville, Louisiana:  http://www.floydsrecordshop.com/

If you can't find it there, you most likely will never find it.
Austin Texas
C "LeCapitaine"
B/C "Double Ray"
Mandolin
Pennywhistle
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal