Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Bath city  (Read 12435 times)

Lin Leighton

• Regular debater
  • Castagnari Tommy/ Dino Baffetti BP
Re: Bath city
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2008, 11:16:19 AM »

ah  ha  its an inferiority complex ... cos we all know we women are b******ter thatn m*n

::)

oops  did I say that ??? 

actually, Im very sorry you and your side were subject to such rudeness Steve, but I do have to say that although we are a mixed side, we have danced with one and all, and had nothing but good vibes.  Maybe currently attitudes have changed for the better, and people are more willing to accept that "different" is not necessaryily "bad"  and that there is room for us all on the planet , whether all-male, all-female and/or mixed  - of course, it could depend on how many pints have been downed !!  ;D
Lin
Lin(Rattlejag Morris)

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2008, 12:10:39 PM »

actually, Im very sorry you and your side were subject to such rudeness Steve, but I do have to say that although we are a mixed side, we have danced with one and all, and had nothing but good vibes.  Maybe currently attitudes have changed for the better, and people are more willing to accept that "different" is not necessaryily "bad"  and that there is room for us all on the planet , whether all-male, all-female and/or mixed  - of course, it could depend on how many pints have been downed !!  ;D
Lin
Thanks Lin.
Yes - I'm sure you're right in that attitudes have changed for the better. Anyway - we've not had anything like those experiences for a long time now.
And what better place than here to restate how our recent day of dance with you and Rattlejag in Retford and Rufford was an absolute delight. Thank you! We thoroughly enjoyed it and look forward to the next time.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Lin Leighton

• Regular debater
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2008, 12:18:33 PM »

awwwwwwww, Steve   :-[
Lin(Rattlejag Morris)

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2008, 12:22:50 PM »

I'm not trying to defend the Neanderthal approach of some Ring sides but I hope/belive it is now a very small minority. The problem really is that the Ring, who have progressed greatly on this front in recent years, are tarred with an old brush and the remaining rump of unreconstructed misogynists.

melodyman

• Good talker
  • Handry 12,Evo
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2008, 12:25:58 PM »

As usual this year we danced at Broadstairs.
Having watched another teams performanace I went up to the fool in that particular team and congratulated him on their performance.
At the same time one of our younger female dancers were chatting to one of their dancers only to be told that our side do not dance morris
because we are a mixed side.
Okay so everybody is entitled to their point of view but why upset somebody like that.

In the true sense of the term perhaps none of us are morris dancers.

,Handry 12,Evo.

Falseknight

• Respected Sage
    • False Knight
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2008, 12:55:48 PM »

That's a very interesting point.  How much of the stuff danced in the name of morris actually is morris, and how much of it is re-constituted social dance dreamed up by rural vicars to engender a social idyl which perhaps never actually existed?

Lin Leighton

• Regular debater
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2008, 01:21:11 PM »

our dancing is based on the research of Paul Davenport and others into printed archives which clearly describes women as well as men dancing in our area at least - see our website for more  ;)
Lin
Lin(Rattlejag Morris)

Falseknight

• Respected Sage
    • False Knight
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2008, 02:36:50 PM »

I was thinking at least as much of the Ring revival sides.

(Pictures of Wagnerian trolls with sticks and garlands desperately being banished from imagination)

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2008, 04:47:01 PM »

I'm willing to bet that in the good old days long before the melodeon was invented, if two Morris sides (of whatever sex) from different villages ever met, there would surely be a punch up. It would have been viewed as traditional by one and all.

So come on you lot, keep the game alive.  ;D
Rees Wesson (accordion builder and mechanic)
Gungrog, Welshpool, Wales, UK
www.melodeons.com

Mike Higgins

• Respected Sage
    • Strolling to Italy
« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2008, 09:15:58 PM »

I confess to being a morris dancer. I dance with a men only side which has a deeply symbiotic relationship with a terrific women only morris dancing side, which relationship prevented us from dancing with ring sides in the early days as we preferred to dance with our sister side.

But the point of this rambling reply is to say that being a member of a morris dance side has given me enormous pleasure, comradeship, a wife, and, the opportunity to consume vast amounts of beer in public places on the rather feeble excuse that I need to replenish water loss as a result of extreme exertion. Sadly the down side of my morris membership, for music lovers, it that it has also encouraged me to groan out a few tunes on a melodeon.
Mike from Ponte Caffaro

Martin J

• Poole, Dorset
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2008, 10:20:55 PM »

' how much of it is re-constituted social dance dreamed up by rural vicars ...?

Surly this is an oxymoron.  The clergy believe Morris represents the 'other side' (male or female)
Castagnari, Weltmeister, Giustozzi, Streb, too many Hohners.  No Strings Attached ceilidh band

Falseknight

• Respected Sage
    • False Knight
« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2008, 10:38:23 PM »

Not at all.  Sabine Baring Gould collected both song and dance - though removing the "juicier" bits.  it is easy to argue that "revival" sides (that's most of them) are dancing what the collectors bequeathed them.  Whether that is an accurate view of the actuality is anybodies guess.

Remember, i have no real interest in Morris (except as an interesting, long running punch-up between the Ring and the rest) and simply observe what I also see from the bandstand - learned social dance.

joe

• Regular debater
« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2008, 03:51:42 PM »

Whats wrong with a bit of rivalry? A friend of mine left a ring side to join ours, he was forced to go on a long journey into the depths of mount doom to cast his ring into the fiery depths of Mordor before we let him join though. He still has the scars.

Upsetting people, whether they be different teams, associations, organisers, people in our team, passers by or the landlord's dog is one of the most significantly important part of being involved with the morris - If we all got on it would be boring.

Sandy

• 'Musical Landlady'
« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2008, 12:40:31 PM »

When I moved to Adderbury, it was great to see two villlage morris sides on the Day of Dance. In my ignorance, I probably judged them more on their outfits than their dancing or principals. It seems that they split years ago due to a disagreement between founder members over whether women should (or is it could?) play music for dance. One side still only has male musicians.
Each to their own, I shall not get my knickers in a twist about those that won't budge from their routine. However, I do think it is important to keep good tradition and evolve. From someone outside the morris scene , I feel that the likes of Armaleggan are far more exciting to watch for joe public and will more likely bring in new young members to keep it all going.
Just a point of view from the kitchen!!

cheers
Sandy.
 ::)

george garside

« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2008, 04:48:48 PM »

- If we all got on it would be boring.

?why
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

joe

• Regular debater
« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2008, 12:28:23 PM »

- If we all got on it would be boring.
?why

In Bampton, my home town, there are currently three teams. There are varying explanations of how we got from one to three, but most suggest a conflict of sorts between certain individuals. Now with a bit of time, along with three teams comes three different sets of the tradition (as traditions do evolve, despite certain opinions). There also seems to be a certain characteristic attitude of each team. What is certainly part of the tradition is the rivalry between the teams, especially at Whitsun.

There are times when this rivalry flares up, but the majority of the time it is friendly. If people got on all the time? - there would be only one team, one tradition, probably less dancers and musicians, less of a crowd, fewer pubs involved in the weekend as a whole. Also the team pride would not be as strong, so standards of dancing may not be as good.

More generally, I believe that, to some extent, disagreement and conflict breeds diversity.

Sandy

• 'Musical Landlady'
« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2008, 03:10:24 PM »

I do agree with you Joe (is that boring?).
I would just like people to be civil with each other, even when they don't agree. Thankfully, most are.
cheers
 :)

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2008, 06:50:22 PM »

I would just like people to be civil with each other, even when they don't agree. Thankfully, most are.
cheers

No we bl00dy well aren't, show me who said we were and I'll take them outside!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mike Gott

• Respected Sage
  • Melodeon and hairy arm
« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2008, 07:15:36 PM »

I do wish the all-covering name of "Morris" hadn't been applied to so many generally unrelated traditions! It's led to questionable "rules" stemming from (for example) Cotswold morris being enforced on North West dancers and so on and so on. Surely what matters is how well you do what you do and the spirit that it is done in. Anyway......... why I logged in..........if you follow the link below for the team I play for there is another link to a morris team directory with a Team Finder. Good hunting.

Mike
"Traditional music was for entertainment, it wasn't for a further education class" (Bob Davenport)

Rivington Morris, Bolton, Lancashire.

Sandy

• 'Musical Landlady'
« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2008, 10:37:40 PM »

cheers

No we bl00dy well aren't, show me who said we were and I'll take them outside!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Right Lester. See you at Witney, Melodeons at Dawn!!!!
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal