Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Switching Instruments  (Read 967 times)

deltasalmon

Switching Instruments
« on: July 16, 2012, 01:57:00 PM »

Coming from one instrument to a new one and not as a new musician in general. What aspects of the melodeon should I focus on? I plan on buying a 2-row B/C accordion in the near future. I have several years of guitar and tenor banjo experience and know enough music to get by however the melodeon is a fairly different instrument. How would you recommend I focus my practice? Would scales be a good idea if for any other reason just to get my fingers and muscle memory used to the new instrument? Would it be a good idea to start learning some of the tunes I already know on banjo, trying to play by ear (or memory) so that I start getting used to the layout of the notes on the keyboard?

Just thought I'd ask on here about some basic do's and don'ts of practice habits.
Sean McGinnis
Bordentown City, NJ, USA

Castagnari Benny ADG

tedrick

Re: Switching Instruments
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 03:31:06 PM »

I came to the B/C box from the trumpet - so as a single note, melody instrument, I found it useful to work scales to develop muscle memory - in Irish music you'll play in the keys of D and G - so working those scales is helpful -

I have always intended to work the chromatic scale more but never seem to get around to it -

For learning tunes, what I did was just start with the set of popular session tunes out on the bbc virtual session and tunes that I liked - get the dots and start wood shedding - it's just muscle memory, start slow and gradually get faster -

george garside

Re: Switching Instruments
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 05:22:22 PM »

learn to play the box rather than particular tunes  - then the worlds your oyster!  To that end scales essential CGDAEF in that order but one at a time!  Also a good idea to have a go at tunes that are already in your head so that you can concentrate on the box rather than trying to remember a tune.

george
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal