Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bluebell polka - help?  (Read 17335 times)

george garside

Re: Bluebell polka - help?
« Reply #80 on: February 19, 2013, 12:01:19 PM »

on a 2 row DG I play the Cpart in CC  using  C bass & chord for the first 2 bars, the DG bass & chord for bars 3 and 4, back to Cbass for bars 5 & 6 and DG bass for 7&8

george
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

george garside

« Reply #81 on: February 19, 2013, 12:12:11 PM »

on my Lilly and pkerwork I have  put a  made a linkage to bring a duplicate F nat  between the inside row and the grill and between the D & F# buttons.  This greatly facilitates playing the C part of the Bluebell Polka.   The method of arranaging the link is different on both boxes and is dead easy to do on the pokerwork/erica and presumably many other boxes with a flat closed keyboard.

If anybody is interested as to how its done i can try to post some photos  on here

george

Strigulino

• The Night Owl
  • @strigulino on Twitter
    • Strig on YouTube
« Reply #82 on: February 19, 2013, 12:50:28 PM »

Thanks all - many options to try there.

My Liliput is actually a declubbed C/F - I think the pesky F natural is therefore an Eb, and I have those on push and pull on the half row, so should be fine.  It's going to be a finger-twister, but should be possible.  I tried to play the C part by ear last night and failed miserably so I think I have to actually sit down and work out which buttons to press. 
~~~~~~~~~~~
The Strig

"World-famous poker player. Give her a good poker and she'll play any tune you like." - The Goon Show
Pets:  Two cats, one husband, a D/G Hohner Morgane, a C/F Liliput, a dark and mysterious anglo concertina, a Streb, a Giordy...

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #83 on: February 19, 2013, 01:24:29 PM »

work out which buttons to press.

That's always a good start  :P
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

george garside

« Reply #84 on: February 19, 2013, 02:25:30 PM »

Thanks all - many options to try there.

My Liliput is actually a declubbed C/F - I think the pesky F natural is therefore an Eb, and I have those on push and pull on the half row, so should be fine.  It's going to be a finger-twister, but should be possible.  I tried to play the C part by ear last night and failed miserably so I think I have to actually sit down and work out which buttons to press.

george garside

« Reply #85 on: February 19, 2013, 03:29:39 PM »

meant to say this in the above post but for some reason it vanished into thin air! 

The C p art of the Bluebell Polka is just played entirely on the C row of a CF box!

I think Owens BC and half C# Lillyput conversion is probably much easier to manage in a veriety of keys     as it follows a logical pattern  working out from the C row - but then you wouldnt expect me to say otherwise!

george ;D

Strigulino

• The Night Owl
  • @strigulino on Twitter
    • Strig on YouTube
« Reply #86 on: February 19, 2013, 03:39:33 PM »

You misunderstand me I think - to play the entire thing on a C/F 2.5 row box, I believe I have to transpose the entire thing into F/C/B.  So the C part would be in B major.  I'm going to have to do it that way to get the chords to work, I think.
~~~~~~~~~~~
The Strig

"World-famous poker player. Give her a good poker and she'll play any tune you like." - The Goon Show
Pets:  Two cats, one husband, a D/G Hohner Morgane, a C/F Liliput, a dark and mysterious anglo concertina, a Streb, a Giordy...

KLR

« Reply #87 on: February 19, 2013, 04:29:12 PM »

You mean Bb.  The key of the third part of this tune is a fourth above the key of the first part, i.e., Bb.  Modulating into B would get you burnt at the stake in Renaissance Christendom, among other problems.   ;D  What you have available on your basses is beside the point.

The structure ABABC was quite common in genteel late 19th century dance compositions, whose forms trickled down to folk musicians - polkas, schottisches, waltzes, etc.   Reg Hall did a bangup job writing about this phenomenon in the world of Irish music for the liner notes to the CD Round the House and Mind the Dresser.

Think I'll learn the B part of Flop Eared Mule for a D part for this tune, which is ancestral to it, or vice versa?  The Bluebell was first printed in the 1880s.  I learned it from an old recording of an Irish fiddler, James Morrison, who dispensed with the third part for some reason - maybe it hadn't been composed yet?

Strigulino

• The Night Owl
  • @strigulino on Twitter
    • Strig on YouTube
« Reply #88 on: February 19, 2013, 04:54:22 PM »

Bb, you are quite right.  :)
~~~~~~~~~~~
The Strig

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #89 on: February 19, 2013, 05:26:35 PM »

You mean Bb.  The key of the third part of this tune is a fourth above the key of the first part, i.e., Bb.  Modulating into B would get you burnt at the stake in Renaissance Christendom, among other problems.   ;D  What you have available on your basses is beside the point.

I digress a bit, but the notes of B♭ and D♭  (relative to a C tonic) were banned by the Russian Establishment in the 1920's as bourgeois, and reactionary. The Soviet had interdicted any 'religious' musical reference (reverence?) a few years previously, and now turned against the influence of the American negros whom they perceived as essentially capitalist lick-spittles. I can't find reference to this on the Web, but BBC's programme (approx 2009) on Stravinsky had establishment musical teachers going through student's work systematically deleting or replacing any note considered 'blue'  ::)

I'm not sure what the role of 'colour' was in this, be that black/white or blue/red ;)  They certainly had no shortage of basses!  :|glug
  _       _    _      _ 

KLR

« Reply #90 on: February 19, 2013, 06:43:51 PM »

I digress a bit, but the notes of B♭ and D♭  (relative to a C tonic) were banned by the Russian Establishment in the 1920's as bourgeois, and reactionary. The Soviet had interdicted any 'religious' musical reference (reverence?) a few years previously, and now turned against the influence of the American negros whom they perceived as essentially capitalist lick-spittles. I can't find reference to this on the Web, but BBC's programme (approx 2009) on Stravinsky had establishment musical teachers going through student's work systematically deleting or replacing any note considered 'blue'  ::)

I'm not sure what the role of 'colour' was in this, be that black/white or blue/red ;)  They certainly had no shortage of basses!  :|glug

In Soviet Russia painting colors you!

Have to run and can't find the link for you but came across a very amusing roundup of assorted famous composers' stripes of synesthesia.  They all wholly cancelled each other out, of course. 

pikey

• Addicted to squeezeboxes since 1975
  • Thread mod
  • If it moves, I'll squeeze it....
« Reply #91 on: February 21, 2013, 12:35:53 PM »

on my Lilly and pkerwork I have  put a  made a linkage to bring a duplicate F nat  between the inside row and the grill and between the D & F# buttons.  This greatly facilitates playing the C part of the Bluebell Polka.   The method of arranaging the link is different on both boxes and is dead easy to do on the pokerwork/erica and presumably many other boxes with a flat closed keyboard.

If anybody is interested as to how its done i can try to post some photos  on here

george

yes please George, photos of the linkage would be great!
Still squeezing after all these years.
Mostly on hohners , with a couple of Dinos and a smattering of anglos - and now a Jeffries duet

george garside

« Reply #92 on: February 22, 2013, 08:20:52 PM »

Will  take some photos and put them on instrument repairs etc so as not to occur the wrath of 'im in Gateshead!

george ;)

pikey

• Addicted to squeezeboxes since 1975
  • Thread mod
  • If it moves, I'll squeeze it....
« Reply #93 on: February 22, 2013, 10:51:56 PM »

Will  take some photos and put them on instrument repairs etc so as not to occur the wrath of 'im in Gateshead!

george ;)

Ta !
Still squeezing after all these years.
Mostly on hohners , with a couple of Dinos and a smattering of anglos - and now a Jeffries duet
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal