Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Independent Finger work  (Read 1059 times)

Poustevnik

Independent Finger work
« on: July 18, 2012, 04:36:46 PM »

Hey everyone,

I'm just wondering if anyone has any techniques - other than hours and hours of slow learning - on how to improve one's fingering on different hands. My issue at the moment is playing a tune with syncopated bass and a non-syncopated melody, and I thought I'd come and ask how other people have developed this.

george garside

Re: Independent Finger work
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2012, 04:41:27 PM »

no quick fixes!  just keep giving it a try and eventually it should click.  The important thing is not to make a big deal out of or worry about it as that will do more harm than good by leading to frustration.  think little and often

george
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2012, 04:43:41 PM »

I had to attack this when I realised that there was such a thing as bourée rhythm and that mine was hopeless.

I basically just went at the problem in practice, starting slowly and speeding up. The good news is that it works. The bad news is that it does nothing to stop that bodrhan player in the corner playing jig (bossanova even!) across your carefully practiced stuff :-\
  _       _    _      _ 

paulq

• Good talker
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2012, 06:48:00 PM »

Couple of things that helped me. One was practicing tunes with just the syncopated chord on the offbeat but without the bass on the onbeat. Like all independence work it's hellish to start with but very satisfying as you make progress. The other is - like in drum practice which is all about independence really - start very slowly and only get faster when it sounds OK. Oh and play staccato, hitting every note. Don't hold down keys over bellow reversals.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal