Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tune of the Month for May 2012: Molly Oxford  (Read 18203 times)

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
Re: Tune of the Month for May 2012: Molly Oxford
« Reply #60 on: May 22, 2012, 08:36:41 AM »

There's some great Bampton tunes too, especially for some of the dances people don't seem to do that often (The Thursfield, for example).

I have looked at this a number of times and could not think of a tune called The Thursfield from Bampton and it has now dawned on me that it is The Furze Field which is indeed a good tune.

Ash

• Good talker
« Reply #61 on: May 22, 2012, 11:59:16 AM »

There's some great Bampton tunes too, especially for some of the dances people don't seem to do that often (The Thursfield, for example).

I have looked at this a number of times and could not think of a tune called The Thursfield from Bampton and it has now dawned on me that it is The Furze Field which is indeed a good tune.

Apologies for that - Not reading music I've never looked at the tune in the 'Black Book' or indeed seen it written anywhere else and just invented my own spelling of it - evolving tradition and all that...
Chinese one-row C; Erica C/F; Sandpiper D/G; Cliff Mott 'Cajun Pride' C; Sternberg Hungarian 2-row (?); Liliput C/F; Castagnari Lilly D/G... Something's got to go. Any offers?

FlatNote

« Reply #62 on: May 24, 2012, 02:00:42 AM »

Here's an idiosyncratic effort in Aeolian mode that demonstrates all the pitfalls of self-teaching.  By rights it belongs in the beginners' section since I've only been practising since Christmas.  I did, however, try learning about twelve years ago, before the needs of young children, neighbours and other paid up members of the Noise Abatement Society put paid to that.  So I'm only a re-beginner rather than a strict beginner!  Apologies in advance for the poor quality of the video / audio.  As a poor workman I'm entitled to blame my tools!

http://youtu.be/VcZ-wbB_VK0

Frank Lee

• Regular debater
    • Rapper Swords
« Reply #63 on: May 24, 2012, 02:12:52 PM »

Here's an idiosyncratic effort in Aeolian mode that demonstrates all the pitfalls of self-teaching.

Well, I love this sort of thing!  What a lovely atmosphere that mode evokes!  Must give it a try on a G/C if I get time and it isn't out of my reach!
I have some boxes. 
‘You make that thing sound a bit like a musical instrument!’

Tom

• Good talker
  • Stuff with sticks mostly, Sandpiper DG
« Reply #64 on: May 24, 2012, 08:07:35 PM »

Taking time out from what I should be doing, here's a quick take on Molly Oxford ... sorry, Old Molly Oxford  ;) Been playing this tune for donkey's years, I'll admit; I've always liked it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enV-RkKrD4Q

Played on the Castagnari Lilly in A/D which was long overdue a workout, so in this version it comes out in D (I like to play this tune mostly on the inside row, but it does cross rows in places in this version).

Cheers,

Clive

Really enjoyed this - the barreling pace, very satisfying chord substitutions and particularly the clever 'cut and paste' link between the B and A

"Back to front," or otherwise, here's mine. I've really enjoyed working on this tune. Thanks to everyone for the comments and musical examples that helped me figure out what it was all about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9irclNps55c

This just lit up the room for me.
 Such a neat and tidy version with some very pretty bass work (that i will have to attempt to copy when i get a bit better!). A great example of how to enhance and lift a morris tune but still keeping it crisp and danceable; not turning it into a 'clever' session tune.

I am working on this tune but it's tough! Based on Clive's throw away comment that
it plays perfectly fine on one row
I'm diligently attempting to play it on one row as a sort of technical exercise - this is possibly foolhardy. Also, I discovered quite a nice bit of bass work I could do with the thirds out but since the Sandpiper's back at the Musicroom I'll have to wait to record.
All in all, you can expect my video mid-to-late 2015...

Ash

• Good talker
« Reply #65 on: May 25, 2012, 11:08:12 PM »

A pretty scruffy rendition of the tune. I turn on You Tube and it never quite comes out right. Oh well, it'll do...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoVMGj8K7bY
Chinese one-row C; Erica C/F; Sandpiper D/G; Cliff Mott 'Cajun Pride' C; Sternberg Hungarian 2-row (?); Liliput C/F; Castagnari Lilly D/G... Something's got to go. Any offers?

Ziachmusi/Louise

• Respected Sage
« Reply #66 on: May 27, 2012, 12:58:58 PM »

I learnt this in D but as I got my newly waxed and tuned C/F reed blocks back from Mike Rowbotham this week I've gone for a C version.
It's a fleabay honey wood Hohner that I started to restore but having mended and re taped the Bellows and restricting the button travel I wasn't to sure what to do with the reed blocks so I sent them to Mike. I'm really pleased the result and I love the sound.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7e3R-F1g0oE&feature=youtu.be

Louise

Ellisteph

« Reply #67 on: May 30, 2012, 07:57:04 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHr7qM_ygB0

Just about managed to fit this in before the end of the month!
Salterelle Connemara III, Loffet Pro C/F

Peter Savage

• Respected Sage
« Reply #68 on: May 30, 2012, 08:10:06 AM »

Very good. Thanks for sharing.

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #69 on: June 01, 2012, 12:43:49 AM »

End of the month folks - time to move on! As ever, please feel free to keep posting late entries on the end here...

boxcall

• You got to love it!!!
  • Accordion to who?
« Reply #70 on: June 01, 2012, 01:12:13 PM »

Very nice playing and I like the poster in the background mushroom hunting has been a passion of mine for 25 yrs. or so then I got wrapped up in this melodeon thing.
Michael
Hohner 1040 C, Beltuna one row four stop D, O'Byrne Dewitt/ Baldoni bros. D/C#, Paolo soprani "pepperpot" one row D

Noodle

• Louder is better, right?
  • Regular debater
  • Occasionally actually helpful
« Reply #71 on: June 27, 2012, 01:26:19 PM »

Here's an idiosyncratic effort in Aeolian mode that demonstrates all the pitfalls of self-teaching.  By rights it belongs in the beginners' section since I've only been practising since Christmas.  I did, however, try learning about twelve years ago, before the needs of young children, neighbours and other paid up members of the Noise Abatement Society put paid to that.  So I'm only a re-beginner rather than a strict beginner!  Apologies in advance for the poor quality of the video / audio.  As a poor workman I'm entitled to blame my tools!

http://youtu.be/VcZ-wbB_VK0
Whilst there's been some great examples to improve on a difficult sounding, jarring tune, this has to be my favourite. Great idea and well played.
Nottingham, UK.

Hohners: HA114 (C), HA114 (G)*, Liliput (C/F), Preciosa (C/F)*, 1040 (G), Imperial. Dino Baffetti Binci III (D/G), Self-made Pariselle 2.6 (G/C), Soberano (C/F), Nopka garmoshka (F#)*.

One day I'll get really good, like those really good players. One day.
*to be fixed

Mike Carney

• In sunny Sheffield
« Reply #72 on: July 04, 2012, 09:22:15 PM »

I like the poster in the background
I wonder if we should have a "most enigmatic/thought provoking backdrop award"...

boxcall

• You got to love it!!!
  • Accordion to who?
« Reply #73 on: July 09, 2012, 02:03:04 PM »

I like the poster in the background
I wonder if we should have a "most enigmatic/thought provoking backdrop award"...
I quote from a documentary (i forget the name of it.) about a guy who was trying to survive on the Alaskan tundra when he discovered  there was no big game to hunt and he would have starved then saw what the wolfs where living on which was rodents lemming  I think  and they where basically running around his tent. So then a couple of inuit people stopped by the younger man spoke english and ask so what have you been eating? the man showed him and after a long pause the young man said
Good Idea!
Hohner 1040 C, Beltuna one row four stop D, O'Byrne Dewitt/ Baldoni bros. D/C#, Paolo soprani "pepperpot" one row D
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal