Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone got dots for "The Grand Old Duke of York"?  (Read 2836 times)

malcolmbebb

• In dampest Dorset, on the soggy south coast.
Re: Anyone got dots for "The Grand Old Duke of York"?
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2019, 06:38:25 PM »

..., but what a boring bloody tune!

Good candidate for a processional, then.
Dino BPII.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire."

Peadar

« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2019, 09:53:09 PM »

but what a boring bloody tune!

Fulfils its job of being a nursery rhyme tune for the young
Exactly! And furthermore, being a nursery rhyme tune, is likely to be well ingrained in the brains of very many people from a very early age. This makes it an ideal tune for beginners on the melodeon to learn. It also has words, which most people know too. When I teach my beginners workshop at Whitby, we learn the tune by ear at first before I distribute the written music/tablature as attached in my earlier post.

So although it might be a 'bloody boring tune' (debatable), it is also a bloody useful tune.
[/quote

Absolutely.

(Steve- Thanks for the dots-first off the mark and as ABC isn't my strong point the easiest for me deal with)

Now all I have to do is work out how to play it in C on a 7 key melodeon with 1st button start.

Then I can think about how to play Steve's setting at pitch on the AD.

Why should the devil have all the best instruments???

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2019, 12:24:35 AM »

Just treat it as a one-row tune and play it all on the D-row. Don't worry about the bit where I have indicated to play a couple of bars on the G-row. That is for D/G box players.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2019, 09:56:25 PM »

It was rumoured that her Grace the Dutchess tried very hard to outdo the noble  Duke …

(Please refer to line 2)  ;)

GREAT melodeon tune, and on of the few playable using an empty beer glass on the row  :P
  _       _    _      _ 

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2019, 07:14:22 AM »

It was rumoured that her Grace the Duchess tried very hard to outdo the noble Duke …

(Please refer to line 2)  ;)

GREAT melodeon tune, and on of the few playable using an empty beer glass on the row  :P

::) (:)

The Grand Old Duke of York referred to in the nursery rhyme (which started off as a satirical song of the day) was probably Prince Frederick Augustus, 1763 – 1827. He was the second son of King George III and was conferred with the title Duke of York and Albany.

He went on to have a high-ranking career in the British Army, but which was not so illustrious at first, with less than effective field campaigns in Flanders during the Napoleonic wars, hence the ‘Grand Old Duke of York’ rhyme. He was also the subject of notorious scandals involving gambling debts and mistresses. But he eventually went on to reform the army. The tune for the song also appears in ‘A gentleman’s musical companion: favourite airs, rondos, marches, songs, glees and duets’, London 1803.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.

Roger Hare

• Urmston, Lancashire, U.K.
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2019, 08:08:38 AM »

...He was also the subject of notorious scandals involving gambling debts and mistresses...
Another tie-in with the Morris, then?
For more about Manchester Morris, The Beech Band Folk Club or anything else,  please use the private messaging facility.
My (large) ABC Tune Book is here.

george garside

« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2019, 07:20:50 PM »

..., but what a boring bloody tune!

like any tune its bloody boring if its played boringly, played with half decent rhythm

phrasing and dynamics its quite a jolly processional tune  and goes well with in and out the windows! 

george >:E ;D
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

Peadar

« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2019, 10:12:30 PM »

Just treat it as a one-row tune and play it all on the D-row. Don't worry about the bit where I have indicated to play a couple of bars on the G-row. That is for D/G box players.
I was thinking of playing it on the A row. Transposition for beginners....and then there are Greg's variations.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2019, 10:36:43 PM by Peadar »

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2019, 12:29:38 AM »

I was thinking of playing it on the A row. Transposition for beginners....and then there are Greg's variations.
OK just play it on the A-row and it will come out sounding in A. Use the fingering I supplied in the tablature. No need for any transposition.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.

Peadar

« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2019, 01:06:55 AM »

OK just play it on the A-row and it will come out sounding in A. Use the fingering I supplied in the tablature. No need for any transposition.
That's the plan.....maybe a few bumps on the road.....I've got my head round the 2 bass & to some xtent the 4 bass 1 rows but haven't got th 2R8B set up fixed in my mind

Jesse Smith

• Buffalo, NY, USA
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2019, 03:32:01 AM »

So although it might be a 'bloody boring tune' (debatable), it is also a bloody useful tune.

On John Kirkpatrick's DVD, he introduces this tune early on the first disc, and then returns to it a few times with additional techniques and ornaments, eventually at the end of the second disc using it as a vehicle for playing the melody with the top two fingers and filling in various arpeggios and countermelodies underneath it in between the melody phrases.

A very simple tune can be extremely useful as a framework for experimenting with more advanced techniques.
Hohner Pokerwork D/G (x2!), Hohner one row four stops in D and C, Hohner Presswood C/F.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal