Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Audacity/ Apple Mac/ Ext mike - will donate £5 to Halsway for a solution  (Read 1525 times)

Little Eggy

Re: Audacity/ Apple Mac/ Ext mike - will donate £5 to Halsway for a solution
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2020, 09:24:33 AM »

I agree with the other users who mentioned privacy and permissions being a likely culprit.  (Even though your OS isn't giving you a direct interface to switch that on and off.)  It's possible that Audacity is not correctly obtaining microphone permissions from the system during its start.  I would be curious to know whether Audacity recognizes your mic on another computer, or even a fresh user account on the same computer.  Also whether Audacity can recognize a different external mic.

If you open Terminal and enter the following:

open /Applications/Audacity.app/Contents/MacOS/Audacity

Does it ask for microphone permissions explicitly, or give you any useful output?

I'm attaching screenshots of what I get when I open terminal and when I enter your line of script.
I can't see anything relevant but I am no tech expert.

Little Eggy

« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2020, 09:53:14 AM »

Hi folks - I haven't given up on this although I am currently flirting with GarageBand (which is happy with my new mike) and which is looking very versatile.

I've donated to Halsway anyway - via an extra ticket for the Halsway 200 Club which strikes me as a neat way of supporting them.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions I think I will close off this thread now..................

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2020, 10:12:05 AM »

Hi folks - I haven't given up on this although I am currently flirting with GarageBand (which is happy with my new mike) and which is looking very versatile.
GarageBand is indeed versatile. It's worth reading, or at least skimming, through the manual and the 'getting started' bit of the on-line help.

One thing to be aware of is that GarageBand produces quite large files when it's saved in 'raw' .band format. But you can choose to export the sound files in other formats. Go to <Share> <Export song to disk>. This allows you to save the file in several formats, including mp3 which will significantly reduce the file size. If you're happy that you will never want to perform any further edits, you can then safely delete the .band file and save yourself some disk space. 
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Little Eggy

« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2020, 05:01:44 PM »

GarageBand is indeed versatile. It's worth reading, or at least skimming, through the manual and the 'getting started' bit of the on-line help.

One thing to be aware of is that GarageBand produces quite large files when it's saved in 'raw' .band format. But you can choose to export the sound files in other formats. Go to <Share> <Export song to disk>. This allows you to save the file in several formats, including mp3 which will significantly reduce the file size. If you're happy that you will never want to perform any further edits, you can then safely delete the .band file and save yourself some disk space.

Blimey that worked a treat. I recorded a tune in GarageBand using a few effects and editing, then did what you said.  It was easy  to import its an mp3 to IMovies from my desktop.  Thanks so much....
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal