Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Theme of the Month for September 2020: Tunes of the Wyper Brothers  (Read 7984 times)

CAB

• Mass Debater
    • Somerset Russets Village Band
Re: Theme of the Month for September 2020: Tunes of the Wyper Brothers
« Reply #60 on: September 25, 2020, 03:16:31 PM »

Those sound glorious - I love the drone /neo-drone basses and the way A Hundred Pipers comes across as a slow air.

Thank Peadar.  I was aiming for the style of John McCusker's slow air fiddle version of Rosin the Beau so I'm delighted that came across.
Pas de lieu Rhône que nous

Squeaky Pete

• Squeaky Pete
  • Re-hohn a Hohner
« Reply #61 on: September 26, 2020, 05:38:05 PM »

Here we go. The Dancing Dustman.
https://youtu.be/TKuWxbnCJGs
I started to try this about week before the Wyper tunes were chosen, but I've been away a couple of weeks dealing with family stuff and really haven't had enough practice.
I've tried to record this over 5 days and always manage to play a completely wrong note/chord or forget where I am in the tune and stop completely.
If I don't post this, it will drive me mad over the last few days of the month.
It's full on, no twiddles and full bass from the start and the box although sounding glorious, is nowhere near wet enough for a tune like this.
In the 70s I remember sessions at Jarrow Hall and the two tunes that stick in the memory are this one and the Blarney Pilgrim though I was just chonking on guitar.
Poker work DG.
Pariselle 2.6 DG, Ex-Club IIIBS CF,
Matching Liliputs in CF and DG,
Lots of sickly Hohners needing TLC,
Bassoon, Various Bagpipes........

baz parkes

• All Blacked Up
« Reply #62 on: September 30, 2020, 04:54:20 PM »

It's cold, wet, windy and generally miserable so what better to do than just catch the deadline for this month's theme..

Number 20 in the collection (well the title's the same...) "25 cents for the morphine/25 cents for the beer/25 cents for the whiskey/Tell them Soldier's Joy is here..."

WARNING...REALLY SCARY MELODEON FACE

https://youtu.be/1RvLUXkrJSo

On the edge of Cheshire's Golden Triangle, apparently...

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #63 on: September 30, 2020, 06:04:05 PM »

It's cold, wet, windy and generally miserable so what better to do than just catch the deadline for this month's theme..

Number 20 in the collection (well the title's the same...) "25 cents for the morphine/25 cents for the beer/25 cents for the whiskey/Tell them Soldier's Joy is here..."

I feel gazumped  :D :D :D That was going to be my last minute entry. Never mind, you've done it justice, Baz. I didn't realise that was melodeon face, I thought it was just the workings of an active mind.
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Peadar

« Reply #64 on: September 30, 2020, 07:25:39 PM »

I feel gazumped  :D :D :D That was going to be my last minute entry. Never mind, you've done it justice, Baz. I didn't realise that was melodeon face, I thought it was just the workings of an active mind.
There's nothing that says you can't do the same one as somebody else.
Why should the devil have all the best instruments???

Peadar

« Reply #65 on: September 30, 2020, 10:35:27 PM »

No.55 .....Roaring Jelly

A shameless last minute posting of somebody elses work: Helena's inspirational "How to" video for the Ewell Sessions back in April. (but I only found it lst week)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKE17XurdA8&feature=youtu.be

I know (of) "Roaring Jelly" as a Scottish Country Dance and had always assumed it was fairly modern....the same sort of pawky humour as in the title "Fire Hose Reel". It was a bit of a surprise to find it published in "Gow's Repository of the Dance Music of Scotland" (Vol 3, circa 1817).

Apologies Helena  :|bl

Peadar

« Reply #66 on: September 30, 2020, 10:50:15 PM »

"Wyper's Melodeon Tutor for 19 Keys" - Tune No.3 - Oh Dear What Can The Matter Be.

Plenty as it happens. Bum notes to die for/of :but I really wanted to record this one before end of the month....and so, best of three (played on an International 19 key  C/C#- the instrument type the book was written for.

https://youtu.be/D6PVzE0b3XI
« Last Edit: September 30, 2020, 11:01:46 PM by Peadar »

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #67 on: September 30, 2020, 11:21:44 PM »

There's nothing that says you can't do the same one as somebody else.

There may be a late entry, but I'm still finishing off Gary's little project.
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #68 on: October 01, 2020, 09:41:33 AM »

I really enjoyed this theme - there's some cracking tunes in there. Anyway, onto the next theme; as ever please stick any contributions on the end of this thread as usual.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal