Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pat Corbett Walters  (Read 5280 times)

Bill

Pat Corbett Walters
« on: December 31, 2012, 02:51:40 AM »

Here are some new pictures of the pat corbett box that you were all very helpful with sharing information and pointing me in the right direction on.  I have been taking lessons from Jack Conroy for a couple of months and am slowly learning how to play some traditional Irish tunes.  The box is going to be restored by Peter Cashman and i wanted to share the some of the pictures he took during my trip to his place yesterday.

Also it is an 8 voice LMMMMMMH

Bill

Re: Pat Corbett Walters
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2012, 02:53:13 AM »

more

Bill

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2012, 02:55:25 AM »

was lucky enough to have the owner of the Cunningham box, which has been posted on the site before, stop by to compare and contrast

Bill

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2012, 02:59:43 AM »

and now for the good stuff! in the last picture, you can see in pencil "special made for Patrick J. Corbett 19 Mystic Ave Medford Mass" dated in pencil as March 1938, and "accordion mfg FH Walters 1504 - 3rd ave New York

pgroff

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2012, 03:14:57 AM »

Hey Bill!

Great stuff.

What a treasure, and how cool that it has inspired you to learn to play.  You have a great teacher.  Jack Conroy is one of my favorite players and as you know he has been playing his Walters box since his dad helped him buy it new in 1949.

http://forum.melodeon.net/index.php/topic,9420

I love the side-by-side comparison of the Corbett box with the Cunningham box, which is also an 8-voice 1-row D box.  Of course the Cunningham box is a Baldoni-Bartoli and the two boxes have many other differences. I think the Cunningham box was probably made quite a few years earlier than the Corbett box, has a wooden soundboard, single long pallet for each button, LLMMMMHH voicing, bass-side cutaway etc. etc.  But I would speculate that each of these boxes would have been "top of the line" for a 1-row box, from their respective sellers, at the time each was made.  Look at all that black walnut in the Corbett box!

The action of the Corbett box, with 2 pallets per button, seems designed toward the same goals as some other complex actions seen in the early Irish-American boxes that had 6 - 8 sets of reeds:  rapid high lift of the pallets over all airways when depressing a button --  and also rapid shutting of those pallets over all airways when releasing a button, which is important for crisp articulation.  But the details of the Corbett Walters action are quite different from the Likely Baldoni and other Baldonis that have 2 pallets per button.

Just to cross-reference, here was the earlier thread on the Corbett box:

http://forum.melodeon.net/index.php/topic,10508

Congratulations again and keep up the practicing. One of these days we'll meet for a tune!

PG

edited again to mention that I added discussion of this accordion to the thread on voicing (and actions) of 6 - 8 reed accordions:
http://forum.melodeon.net/index.php/topic,9187.0.html
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 06:02:33 PM by pgroff »

Adam-T

• Hohner Club-Too
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2012, 08:25:14 PM »

Fabulous box !! . the treble reedblocks look Sooo Hohner Morino - and years previously too !

I doubt we`ll ever get to see those Walters boxes over here but they`ve gotta be THE pure class 1 rows !
Q: How do you cure MAD?
A: Take a Break from Mel-Net. (IF YOU CAN)

boxcall

• You got to love it!!!
  • Accordion to who?
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2013, 02:23:06 AM »

Hi Bill,
Nice box!! very colorful and 8 voice wow I should be able to hear you playing over here in Pigeon Cove (:)
we should get together to play when you get it back from peter, can't wait to hear it.
Good luck with your lessons and the box!
Michael
Hohner 1040 C, Beltuna one row four stop D, O'Byrne Dewitt/ Baldoni bros. D/C#, Paolo soprani "pepperpot" one row D

Bill

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2013, 03:03:46 AM »

I just received this photo of the band from a distant relative "Corbett's Irish Minstrels" Pat Corbett is seated in the front with the large piano accordion, and you can see the Walters on the floor next to him.

boxcall

• You got to love it!!!
  • Accordion to who?
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2013, 03:55:22 PM »

Nice pic. Bill !
that PA looks like it weighs a few pounds, is Carmen the brand or someone's name?
Michael
Hohner 1040 C, Beltuna one row four stop D, O'Byrne Dewitt/ Baldoni bros. D/C#, Paolo soprani "pepperpot" one row D

Bill

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2013, 08:48:13 PM »

Nice pic. Bill !
that PA looks like it weighs a few pounds, is Carmen the brand or someone's name?
Michael
You have better eyes than me.  I couldn't tell what that said.  I would imagine that is the brand of the PA.  maybe somebody else on here recognizes the PA and could identify it.  To my knowledge that one does not exist in my family anymore. 

Bill

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2013, 09:00:07 PM »

well this was a little too easy. a quick search online of carmen accordion produced this picture and an article http://gumshoearcana.blogspot.com/2011/08/hohner-aliases-in-lineup.html stating that Carmen was a brand produced by Hohner.

Stu McConnell

• New Starter
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2013, 01:34:14 AM »

Hi Bill,
It was an honor to have a chance to play this box recently in Belfast, Maine.  I also enjoyed meeting you and Jack.  I hope that you stick with it, and absorb all those great tunes and stories that he has to offer.  I hope to see you again soon!

pgroff

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2013, 01:15:16 PM »

Hi Stu,

Great to hear the stories from all my new and old friends up your way.  I wish I could have joined you all.

Maybe there would be enough interest locally to bring Jack up to Maine to teach for a workshop or festival week some time?

PG

Stu McConnell

• New Starter
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2013, 01:50:34 AM »

Hi Paul,

Jack seemed quite interested in the summer festival held in Belfast, www.mainecelticcelebration.com.  Folks should check it out!

Also, that old Double Ray of mine?  Now in the possession of Peter Cashman, through an intricate and mutually satisfying arrangement.  I've always wanted a Paolo!

pgroff

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2013, 03:06:13 PM »

Hi Stu,

Small world . . . Peter sent that small 3 voice double-ray down here. What a cool model. This one was not playing up to its potential, partly due to old work that was done on it (prior to Peter).  I improved it some but it would take some time (and reversal of old work) to make the best of it IMO, and right now other projects are taking precedence :-)  Glad you are enjoying your Paolo, and hello to all the musicians up there.

PG

Bill

« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2013, 07:02:31 PM »

Hi Bill,
It was an honor to have a chance to play this box recently in Belfast, Maine.  I also enjoyed meeting you and Jack.  I hope that you stick with it, and absorb all those great tunes and stories that he has to offer.  I hope to see you again soon!

Hi stu,
Great meeting you as well. Jack and I both had a great time up there. Glad you liked the box, it was great listening to it with great players like jack, Jim and you playing tunes on it. When I get a bit more time in on the box I will definitely come back up and play.

hibbs3

« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2013, 05:42:14 AM »

Just wondering if anyone could fill me in : when irish-american boxes were fitted with 8 voices in LLMMMMHH configuration, were the low and high sets of reeds tuned with tremolo (+- 5,10 cents etc), or were they both tuned in unison (dry)?

pgroff

« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2013, 10:50:29 AM »

Hi hibbs3,

I've seen them with the LL reeds dry or with tremelo. My personal preference would be to block off one of those L reeds in most cases, or (if not a historically important original box) maybe to switch in another set of M reeds, saving the original L reeds with the accordion.

PG
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal