Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Tune of the Month for April 2019: Dorset Four Hand Reel  (Read 9499 times)

Mcgrooger

• Northern Roots
Re: Tune of the Month for April 2019: Dorset Four Hand Reel
« Reply #40 on: April 15, 2019, 04:42:47 PM »

Here's mine:
1. The 'normal' tune
2. Variations as mentioned by Hugh earlier in the thread
3. A minor version
4. The 'normal' tune again
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXiTEww4DLY

Gena Crisman

• 🇬🇧
« Reply #41 on: April 15, 2019, 05:08:40 PM »

I saw your video via youtube before coming here, and as I was watching the tune through I was just thinking, oh I wonder what a minor version would be like! You sure did deliver!

Very nicely played!

Mcgrooger

• Northern Roots
« Reply #42 on: April 15, 2019, 07:21:40 PM »

I just turned it to into Gm using abc then transposed it to Em. Wasn't sure how it would come out but it seemed to work ok. Thank you for the nice comment Gena.

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #43 on: April 15, 2019, 07:24:21 PM »

I just turned it to into Gm using abc then transposed it to Em. Wasn't sure how it would come out but it seemed to work ok. Thank you for the nice comment Gena.

abc please  ;)

Mcgrooger

• Northern Roots
« Reply #44 on: April 15, 2019, 07:37:15 PM »

'Ere you go:

X:121
T:Dorset Four Hand Reel (min)
M:4/4
L:1/8
K:Em
E2 G2 B2 AG|A2 c2 A2 c2|E2 G2 B3 A|G2 F2 F2 GF|
E2 G2 B2 AG|A2 c2 A2 c2|E2 G2 B3 A|G2 F2 E4:|
e2 e2 ed c2|B2 B2 BA G2|F3 G A2 B2|c2 B2 B4|
e2 e2 ed c2|B2 B2 BA G2|F3 G A2 D2|F2 E2 E4:|

Fred

• G/C Pariselle, D/G Loffet & maybe too many Hohners
« Reply #45 on: April 16, 2019, 12:39:13 AM »

Funnily enough I've also played it in D major and its parallel key B minor a few days ago. I've also found the change to be very refreshing for this melody.

When listening to your version, Mcgrooger, my SO came over from the other room and asked whether or not that's the same Tune of the Month I've been playing. She commented very positively on your playing and the idea to mix this tune up by playing it in a minor key. So, well done, I'd say. ;-)

Mcgrooger

• Northern Roots
« Reply #46 on: April 16, 2019, 08:56:56 AM »

Sounds like a well done to us both Fred!  (:)

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #47 on: April 17, 2019, 10:02:53 PM »

Here's my version this month. I had my violinist friend round last night, so we had a go at it together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnH20JgeyuA

Slowed down (a lot), and played very much in the "vivant style" in D on a Castagnari Mory in D/G.

Cheers,

Clive

penn

« Reply #48 on: April 17, 2019, 10:37:30 PM »

I had a go at the C & D but steered well clear of any key changing jiggery pokery - that's not the sort of thing that'd go down well round my way.

https://youtu.be/7csUZpyLLTo
Gren

Peadar

« Reply #49 on: April 17, 2019, 11:09:20 PM »

Well played. Nice steady pace right through.
Why should the devil have all the best instruments???

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #50 on: April 22, 2019, 08:54:27 AM »

Here's my version this month. I had my violinist friend round last night, so we had a go at it together.

Clive

Love this Clive. Your friend has a beautiful tone on the fiddle. You don't sound three bad yourself. Really works. It sounds gorgeous
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

smiley

• Folk music: it's not as bad as it sounds
    • a few sound clips
« Reply #51 on: April 23, 2019, 01:05:58 PM »

I'm a bit surprised how interesting this TOTM has turned out to be! The basic two-part tune is how its known around my area but when I heard the 3rd part I recognised it from an old recording of Sally Sloane playing a step dance tune (at a decent tempo on her old one-row box I might add).

Here's my version  of how Sally played that 3rd part of the Dorset Four Hand Reel together with another variation she added to it. It was described by John Meredith as "Break Up (Step Dance)" which might refer to step dancers competing to see who danced the fastest and outlasted the others.  I used an old Hohner one-row box in G but couldn't get up to the pace she played.

Ransom

« Reply #52 on: April 24, 2019, 03:06:45 PM »

Yeah, it was pretty fun. I surely am a sucker for all the minor tunes and sensitive interpretations we've lined up lately, but it feels really nice to bring it home with a solid, major, four-to-the-bar, oompa-loompa, english-folk-dance, diatonic capital-A-Ccordion tune. Paddy Carey's turned out to not quite be what I wanted, but this one will do fine.

One take, before breakfast:
https://youtu.be/3xX8X7MDwas

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #53 on: April 25, 2019, 10:51:55 AM »

I was going to post a "straight" version of this, but there have been too many great ones posted already, to compete with (especially Nigel's Straw Bear version). So I've had a lot of fun with it.

I tried it as a jig in G and it was...ok, so I tried as a reel in Em. Then McGooger did his brilliant version.
So I tried it as a jig in Em. Hmm. Getting there.
So I tried it as a jig in Am. Too squeaky.
So I tried it as a jig in low Bm and thought bingo.
It's still a work in progress, but I tried it out in the pub last night and it went down ok, so here it is: Dorset, one take before breakfast, like Ransom. Still a work in progress, but I think we will end up playing it quite a lot.

https://soundcloud.com/greg-bradfield-smith/dorset-25-04-2019
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Jesse Smith

• Buffalo, NY, USA
« Reply #54 on: April 25, 2019, 01:42:12 PM »

So I tried it as a jig in low Bm and thought bingo.
It's still a work in progress, but I tried it out in the pub last night and it went down ok, so here it is: Dorset, one take before breakfast, like Ransom. Still a work in progress, but I think we will end up playing it quite a lot.

https://soundcloud.com/greg-bradfield-smith/dorset-25-04-2019

That's really interesting! The A part is a little murky for my tastes (maybe the lower notes are getting lost in the bass side) but I think the B part works really well this way. Clever!
Hohner Pokerwork D/G (x2!), Hohner one row four stops in D and C, Hohner Presswood C/F.

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #55 on: April 25, 2019, 02:48:43 PM »

The A part is a little murky for my tastes (maybe the lower notes are getting lost in the bass side) but I think the B part works really well this way. Clever!

Thanks for the feedback Jesse. I think I'll try thinning out the basses a bit.
Greg Smith

Mcgrooger

• Northern Roots
« Reply #56 on: April 25, 2019, 02:59:38 PM »

"I had a go at the C & D but steered well clear of any key changing jiggery pokery - that's not the sort of thing that'd go down well round my way."  That really made me laugh.
I've just been catching up with everybody else's versions. All nice in their own way and so many different approaches. Really liked Fred's slow air. I don't think Soundcloud will let me make comments though without signing even more of my life away!
Mcg (aka Steve)

Fred

• G/C Pariselle, D/G Loffet & maybe too many Hohners
« Reply #57 on: April 25, 2019, 03:25:02 PM »

"I had a go at the C & D but steered well clear of any key changing jiggery pokery - that's not the sort of thing that'd go down well round my way."  That really made me laugh.
I've just been catching up with everybody else's versions. All nice in their own way and so many different approaches. Really liked Fred's slow air. I don't think Soundcloud will let me make comments though without signing even more of my life away!
Mcg (aka Steve)

Thanks, glad you enjoyed it.

Jesse Smith

• Buffalo, NY, USA
« Reply #58 on: April 26, 2019, 02:50:58 AM »

OK, here's mine. I had worked out a handful of nifty right-hand harmony bits for the second time through, but found myself incapable of making it twice through without falling off the tracks in the time I had available. Still needs more practice, I guess. So, I have opted for a simpler (but hopefully reasonably tasteful) once-through version. I did take some ideas from Anahata and made a tentative foray into a more active bass line using the B bass with the G chord, etc.

https://youtu.be/LDQNgCmMGmE
Hohner Pokerwork D/G (x2!), Hohner one row four stops in D and C, Hohner Presswood C/F.

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #59 on: April 26, 2019, 09:13:28 AM »

OK, here's mine. I had worked out a handful of nifty right-hand harmony bits for the second time through, but found myself incapable of making it twice through without falling off the tracks in the time I had available. Still needs more practice, I guess. So, I have opted for a simpler (but hopefully reasonably tasteful) once-through version. I did take some ideas from Anahata and made a tentative foray into a more active bass line using the B bass with the G chord, etc.

https://youtu.be/LDQNgCmMGmE

Nicely done Jesse. It's surprising how much lift moving the chords around a little bit can lift the tune. Are you playing out at all?
Greg Smith

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal