Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tune of the Month for April 2019: Dorset Four Hand Reel  (Read 9501 times)

Jesse Smith

• Buffalo, NY, USA
Re: Tune of the Month for April 2019: Dorset Four Hand Reel
« Reply #60 on: April 26, 2019, 03:13:05 PM »

Nicely done Jesse. It's surprising how much lift moving the chords around a little bit can lift the tune. Are you playing out at all?

Thanks, Greg. Not so much; apart from Irish sessions I haven't really found anywhere locally to play traditional music. I might have to start my own session. (I've actually given it some thought, but I think these things must be a lot of work to keep the momentum going.) I might go get a busker's license and literally play "out" a bit this summer, just for laughs. Probably need to be able to consistently play twice through a tune first, though. ;)
Hohner Pokerwork D/G (x2!), Hohner one row four stops in D and C, Hohner Presswood C/F.

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #61 on: April 26, 2019, 04:20:48 PM »

Busking would certainly improve your ability to "get through" a tune twice through or more! Not necessarily consistently, of course, but that wouldn't matter.
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Jesse Smith

• Buffalo, NY, USA
« Reply #62 on: April 26, 2019, 04:54:24 PM »

Busking would certainly improve your ability to "get through" a tune twice through or more! Not necessarily consistently, of course, but that wouldn't matter.

There's definitely something to be said for "sink or swim"! Last September I got to sit in with a contra dance open band and even though 3/4 of my playing was vamping chords on tunes I didn't know, I probably learned more from that hour than a whole month of playing at home.
Hohner Pokerwork D/G (x2!), Hohner one row four stops in D and C, Hohner Presswood C/F.

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #63 on: April 26, 2019, 10:21:49 PM »

I've just signed up to a facebook group, the solitary cyclist. No meets, no trips, no gatherings. It's a bit like my melodeon playing. Hopefully at Wensleydale I'll be a bit more sociable.
As far as this months tune goes, I played it through a couple of times, but had no desire to go any further with it, then of all things, I've mostly enjoyed the more vanilla versions posted. Life is strange.
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #64 on: April 30, 2019, 10:32:10 PM »

Thanks all - gently parking this thread and moving on to the new tune and theme! Please don't hesitate to place late contribs (or even on time ones before midnight!) here on this thread!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal