Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: Playing in front of others...  (Read 11110 times)

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
Re: Playing in front of others...
« Reply #100 on: November 18, 2019, 02:24:05 PM »

Yep, agree with Helena, and it is usually said with affection and not deemed derogatory in my book.
Q

Absolutely agree. Personally I suppose I qualify as a "morris tartlet" as opposed to a fully-fledged tart as I'm Squire of Cyprus Morris and a floating adjunct to my first side Jockey, with whom I remain in constant contact and whom I join if I happen to be anywhere they are......   Two sides doesn't count  for tartship (though I'm a former membeer of three others!).
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #101 on: November 18, 2019, 03:27:43 PM »

For what it's worth, Stotty, I know that  Chloe and Andy would take it in the spirit intended. It's  term they would be quite happy to use themselves.

If you want to hear more of Chloe's work you'll find some here. Fine music. Highly recommended.

https://www.facebook.com/BottleBankBand/
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

george garside

« Reply #102 on: November 18, 2019, 03:46:16 PM »

Yep, agree with Helena, and it is usually said with affection and not deemed derogatory in my book.
Q

Absolutely agree. Personally I suppose I qualify as a "morris tartlet" as opposed to a fully-fledged tart as I'm Squire of Cyprus Morris and a floating adjunct to my first side Jockey, with whom I remain in constant contact and whom I join if I happen to be anywhere they are......   Two sides doesn't count  for tartship (though I'm a former membeer of three others!).

that makes me a sort of retired tartlet

george
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

Julian S

• D/G Pastourelle 2, Dony, Pokerwork, G/C Pariselle
« Reply #103 on: November 18, 2019, 04:15:04 PM »

Presumably the term applies to both dancers and musicians ? (Not forgetting  some of us are or have been both...)
I don't think I was aware of the term back in my long past dancing days - must have had a sheltered youth  ::)
J

Old Bones Dance Band

Peadar

« Reply #104 on: November 18, 2019, 11:10:47 PM »

I have heard contract engineers described as "construction tarts".....usually applied to the kind of individual who would move on in an instant if someone offered him a better rate somewhere else. I am not convinced the term was entirely affectionate.
Why should the devil have all the best instruments???

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #105 on: November 18, 2019, 11:19:54 PM »

I promise you Peader, in this case it is entirely affectionate, and the first people to delight in the expression are those it applies to. Morris, Rapper, or whatever your speciality, tarts are those in a lot lot of sides, not those who flit from side to side. At least that's how it works down yur in depths of South West peninsula. A mark of honour.
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #106 on: November 18, 2019, 11:32:08 PM »

Better a Rapper Tart than a Pop Tart. Swords are less dangerous than hot jam.
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #107 on: November 19, 2019, 12:02:22 AM »

;D
Greg Smith

Peadar

« Reply #108 on: November 20, 2019, 11:59:10 PM »

I promise you Peader, in this case it is entirely affectionate, and the first people to delight in the expression are those it applies to. Morris, Rapper, or whatever your speciality, tarts are those in a lot lot of sides, not those who flit from side to side. At least that's how it works down yur in depths of South West peninsula. A mark of honour.
I don't doubt it.....I thought it might be a modest expression for dedication.

I don't doubt this one either.
Why should the devil have all the best instruments???

Grumpy

• Grumpy
  • Regular debater
« Reply #109 on: November 22, 2019, 04:32:27 PM »

Just a big "Thank You" to all who have been totally honest and bared their fears. It was a great suprise that even the "Stars" of melnet both Ladies and Gents sometimes suffered nerves when playing in front of others. I feel a great deal better about things now when I sit in a cold pub bar sweating as my "turn" to lead or play is creeping closer. It is to Melnet credit that its members feel they can show such openess to assist others, Thank you all.
Chris D, Surrey, UK
Getting old but still learning. Pokerwork G/D, Saltarelle L'Elfique G/D, Castagnari Lilly G/D and Hohner Liliput Declubed G/D + English concertinas, mandolins, recorders, tin whistles and other items unknown to household managment
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal