- 21 (37.5%)
One for Dan
- 10 (17.9%)
The Star Above the Garter
- 13 (23.2%)

Total Members Voted: 42

Voting closed: January 01, 2020, 09:55:55 AM

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Poll: Tune of the Month for January 2020  (Read 3370 times)

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
Poll: Tune of the Month for January 2020
« on: December 27, 2019, 09:55:55 AM »

Hope you all had a great Christmas - time to think about what to learn in the new year!

This month's suggestions...

- The Northern Lass - runner up last month, and a lovely old tune, played by Andy Cutting on the Banquet of Boxes album as I recall. Here's Peter's version, filmed nice and close up for easy following: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQ9YVzVwh9s Just don't listen to it on a single right earphone while watching TV like I just did!

- La Mal Aimable - as suggested by Pete, here it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-p67qT6Z4o A really nice french waltz composed by Jean-Christophe Lequerre.

- One for Dan - ably played here by our own Mel Biggs; https://youtu.be/PzHXTF-ilc0?t=106 (this is the second tune on the video. This is indeed a Dave Whetstone competition, from the Cock and Bull album 'Eyes Closed and Rocking' (I think).

- The Star Above the Garter - From Gavin Atkin's channel comes this rather nice trad 32 bar jig: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DLrQ7vRZW0

Enjoy!

Cheers,

Clive

Fred

• G/C Pariselle, D/G Loffet & maybe too many Hohners
Re: Poll: Tune of the Month for January 2020
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2019, 05:12:04 PM »

- The Northern Lass - runner up last month, and a lovely old tune, played by Andy Cutting on the Banquet of Boxes album as I recall. Here's Peter's version, filmed nice and close up for easy following: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQ9YVzVwh9s Just don't listen to it on a single right earphone while watching TV like I just did!

Just for reference, here's a recording of Northern Lass by Leveret: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CD-yLG_-aA
This is not what Clive suggested but maybe a way to bend the Tune of the Month to fit one's own taste. :D

arty

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2019, 04:04:54 PM »

If, by chance, La Mal Aimable wins, here is some inspiration.....https://youtu.be/ioCZZqnvwCk
Pre-Pokerwork C/F, Castagnari Laura G/C, Beltuna Sara 3 A/D, Castagnari Sander Special D/G

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2019, 05:44:29 PM »

Just for reference, here's a recording of Northern Lass by Leveret: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CD-yLG_-aA
This is not what Clive suggested but maybe a way to bend the Tune of the Month to fit one's own taste. :D

I'm confused, now. I didn't realise the BoB version, I thought I was voting for, is a different tune. Serves me right for not listening to Clive's link. Mind you, they're both great tunes. Without wanting to sound partisan, they knock the socks off Mal Aimable, which just sounds like a mess  to me. Mind  you, my taste is probably questionable. I like music.  >:E >:E >:E

[Edit:No disrespect to Christian or the rather nice box he's playing. It's just Mal Aimable, the tune, that doesn't do it for me.]
« Last Edit: December 30, 2019, 09:37:28 AM by Tone Dumb Greg »
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Fred

• G/C Pariselle, D/G Loffet & maybe too many Hohners
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2019, 05:46:07 PM »

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2019, 09:16:09 PM »

If, by chance, La Mal Aimable wins, here is some inspiration.....https://youtu.be/ioCZZqnvwCk
Hey - it's Christian Maes when he was teaching a workshop at melodeons at Witney. He's playing my D/G Lilium, having begged a go on it. Didn't get it back for ages!
« Last Edit: December 29, 2019, 11:39:07 PM by Steve_freereeder »
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2019, 10:09:08 PM »

The funky Cock & Bull Band do a rather jolly version of One for Dan.
I've posted it on a very temporary basis for those who would like to check it out. It won't be there long. Starts of catious and grows into a great tune.

https://soundcloud.com/greg-bradfield-smith/one-for-dan
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2019, 10:42:36 AM »

Oh thanks for the memory Greg, that takes me back!
It was a great sound....
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Little Eggy

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2020, 01:36:52 PM »

I guess we can choose a tune from the UK in Feb when we've left the EU.

Which is, of course, just in time to avoid EU directive 5666/2019 which prohibits all traditional music other than German hiking tunes,
standardises all melodeons to C/F Hohners, specifies three years imprisonment for playing 'Speed the Plough' in public and requires
Andy Cutting to be renamed Andreas Schneider.

Happy 2020 everyone.

Gary P Chapin

• L'Accordéonaire
  • We are all the Free Reed Liberation Orchestra
    • l'Accordéonaire
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2020, 02:26:15 PM »

standardises all melodeons to C/F Hohners, specifies three years imprisonment for playing 'Speed the Plough' in public and requires

Happy 2020 everyone.

So, not the worst possible outcome.

Happy you, too.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2020, 05:03:09 PM by Clive Williams »
Read the l'Accordéonaire French music blog: http://accordeonaire.com/
The Bal Folk Tune Book Project: https://accordeonaire.com/bal-folk-tune-book-project/
The Free Reed Liberation Orchestra: https://accordeonaire.com/the-free-reed-liberation-orchestra/

Peadar

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2020, 06:57:39 PM »

Happy 2020 everyone.

So, not the worst possible outcome.

Happy you, too.

That had better be tunes from England and Wales then....Scotland :M isn't with you on this one.

Fortuneately the EU has always built derogations into its directives to allow national governments freedom to protect regionally significant traditions within  national borders (Which is why you can buy a pint in a pub)....so when Scotland rejoins the EU BC's will still be permitted here.....I am sure it will be possible to smuggle any  redundant sets of DG reeds over the border to support England in her hour of need. >:E

Bliadhna Mhath Ur dhuibh uile.  ;D ;D
Why should the devil have all the best instruments???

Dick Sadler

• Good talker
  • Pt.
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2020, 09:06:02 AM »

Three years imprisonment for playing Speed the Plough in public.
Now that’s harsh, being one of the few tunes that as a beginner I have almost/just about learned to now find the tune is not welcome in the wider world and indeed seems to be actively discouraged!
If I didn’t have bad luck, I wouldn’t have any luck at all.....

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2020, 09:09:51 AM »

Three years imprisonment for playing Speed the Plough in public.
Now that’s harsh, being one of the few tunes that as a beginner I have almost/just about learned to now find the tune is not welcome in the wider world and indeed seems to be actively discouraged!
It's not discouraged and perfectly welcome in all the sessions I go to. I hate the snobbery that seems to be becoming more prevalent about 'easy' tunes, all easy tunes were hard tunes on the way up and deserve an outing now and again.

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2020, 11:19:38 AM »

Lester is absolutely bang on in his comments.
I remember at last year's DG Weekend at Halsway, Speed the Plough was my absolute favourite tune in the evening sessions.
It was started steadily by one of the beginners and was studiously kept at that speed, steady and with power. It meant those of us who already knew the tune could really get into it. It was a glorious crescendo....

It simply reminded us that these are great solid tunes, especially played at a steady pace and with feeling not 'oh yeah I know this...' and then upped the tune to warp speed. I hate that.
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Julian S

• D/G Pastourelle 2, Dony, Pokerwork, G/C Pariselle
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2020, 11:59:07 AM »

And remember - an easy tune on one type of instrument can be much more difficult on another. It's easy to become melodeon-centric - yes - I firmly believe it's the best instrument for the music I like (I can't really play any others !) but I suppose some people might have different views...>:E
Ok, tunes can feel hackneyed but the challenge is to play them well - or just let others play them.

Not that I'm playing much at the moment due to neck and right shoulder problems - maybe due to bad posture when playing or more likely the 'joy' of long drives.  :-[

J
Old Bones Dance Band

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2020, 12:51:04 PM »

I may well be mistaken (and Little Eggy will surely correct me if I am) but I rather fancy that "Speed the Plough" was just meant as an example of an English tune as opposed to one from the European mainland.
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!

Howard Jones

« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2020, 12:51:44 PM »

It's a mistake to think that simple tunes are 'easy'.  They may not contain many technical challenges but they can be very rewarding to play and allow room for plenty of expression.  Speed the Plough can be wonderful, played at a steady pace and lots of times through to allow it to develop. 

Another hugely underrated tune is Oscar Woods' Jig.  On paper this is a very simple and not particularly interesting tune, and most people just rattle through it.  But just listen to what Oscar did with it, with his subtle shifts of rhythm and timing (it's on the album 'English Country Music from East Anglia' which can be found on Spotify) and you'll realise it's far from simple.

https://open.spotify.com/track/6tdtZod9XKWrGbZRfVFo4r?si=eYIoaM7HQnavrdJI4MHcSA

It's not about the notes, it's what you do with them that counts.

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2020, 01:11:58 PM »

Well said Howard.
Thrupenny Bit

Helena Handcart

• Nine-box Nellie
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2020, 01:41:27 PM »

Shoving two penn'orth in...

'Easy' is a very subjective term. Having taught Absolute Beginners at Melodeon Playgroup and Towersey Festival I have seen first-hand how difficult some adults find it to step out of their comfort zone and try something new. My personal take on it is that adults are not very good at not being very good - that is we are used to having a certain level of accomplishment in our careers etc. and find it difficult to go back to the start and be happily rubbish at something. 

Describing something as 'easy' in this situation can be a real confidence killer.  I do get that the 'STP' reference was meant as a joke but still think it is worth remembering that our own attitudes to melodeon playing can have a really big impact on those following on behind in the journey - let's make that impact a positive one.
Sideways typing on the wooden handbag (now with added electric typewriter).

Green Man Sword | Helena Handcart on Soundcloud| Squeezebox from Scratch |

Peadar

« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2020, 01:53:26 PM »

I may well be mistaken (and Little Eggy will surely correct me if I am) but I rather fancy that "Speed the Plough" was just meant as an example of an English tune as opposed to one from the European mainland.

Is this the same Plough as in the eponymous Scottish Country Dance?

Speed the Plough/Inverness Country Dance
« Last Edit: January 02, 2020, 02:17:18 PM by Peadar »
Why should the devil have all the best instruments???
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal