Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Right hand Little finger flying  (Read 1641 times)

Yusuf

Right hand Little finger flying
« on: July 07, 2020, 01:16:35 AM »

Any suggestions on a practice pattern that will help keep my little finger from flying up?  It certainly would be more efficient to be closer to the button. Definitely ackward getting it down in time.

Mike Hirst

• Primatona IV D/D#, Black Dot B/C, One Row in D
Re: Right hand Little finger flying
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2020, 02:10:52 AM »

A useful trick that I discovered after a minor finger injury is to practice running scales and  simple tunes using only little finger and ring finger, or ring, middle and index fingers.
"Slip like Freudian, your first and last step to playing yourself like an Accordion" - MF DOOM - Madvillain

Tufty

• Dino Bincis etc
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2020, 11:25:30 AM »

In workshops John Kirkpatrick gets you to play a simple tune with just one finger, each in turn. It certainly seems to train the little finger to operate independently. I sometimes play this way in slow/easy sessions for the practice.

richard.fleming

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2020, 12:16:56 PM »

Any suggestions on a practice pattern that will help keep my little finger from flying up?  It certainly would be more efficient to be closer to the button. Definitely ackward getting it down in time.
Don't worry about it. I've been playing for years and always been an advocate of using the little finger, and in fact have been surprised to find people on this forum suggesting you shouldn't. My little finger also tends to lift up when not needed but it's always bang on the button when it's needed. It may be due to something physiological, but whatever the cause I don't think it's a problem. If you play to a standard where your brain is able to anticipate that you will need the little finger then the little finger will start to move into place in plenty of time.
Old Paolo Sopranis in C#/D and D/D#

SHTUM

• Regular debater
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2020, 01:46:21 PM »

My little finger also tends to lift up when not needed.
Posh melodeonists?  >:E

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2020, 02:13:44 PM »

Wot Richard says. Don't worry about it. It will turn up, magically,  when needed.
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

CAB

• Mass Debater
    • Somerset Russets Village Band
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2020, 02:14:57 PM »

I've been playing for years and always been an advocate of using the little finger, and in fact have been surprised to find people on this forum suggesting you shouldn't.

Youtube B/C guru John Redmond recommends using just three fingers for the tune and keeping the little finger in reserve for decorations, I believe.
Pas de lieu Rhône que nous

george garside

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2020, 02:21:22 PM »

I also advocate playing a tune with one finger ( doing it with each finger in turn including the little finger)  as a learning exercise in workshops etc. It helps to get used to using all 4 figners in certain parts of certain tunes where it can make life easier.

the 'flying little finger'  can also be tamed  by keeping thumb on edge of keyboard or in thumbstrap and all 4 fingers  slightly above but parallel to the keyboard at all times. Takes a bit of practice to begin with but soon comes naturally.  it has the advantage that all 4 fingers are exactly the same distance from/above the buttons  ready for instant use. This hand/finger position also  puts the thumb in the right place to reach thechin end accidentals ( providing you are using two shoulder straps) 

In other words treat the little finger  in just the same way as t'other 3. 

george
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

Adrian Modesti

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2020, 04:39:15 PM »

I actually came on the forum today to ask the exact question... that is weird. I have the same issue. I just bought a two row and only recently started trying to incorporate my pinky on my 9+3 Italian organetto, but notice it is very hard to use as i'm not used to it and also when I'm not using it it is flying. I could use the help too.

Dick Rees

• Neo-Luddite
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2020, 09:13:15 PM »

Wot Richard says. Don't worry about it. It will turn up, magically,  when needed.

Second that second.  Magic is the likely explanation for my little finger functioning despite age-related tremors.  It's there when required.

https://youtu.be/3erRd8znxGQ
"You're making the wrong mistakes."
...Thelonius Monk

"I never made one of my discoveries through the process of rational thinking."
...Albert Einstein

Cogito ergo bibo.
...Bacchus

Martin P

• Respected Sage
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2020, 09:55:15 PM »

Useful exercise is to repeatedly play pull arpeggio on both rows. That is Am and Em on a DG. That stretches the pinky up to octave note.

pikey

• Addicted to squeezeboxes since 1975
  • Thread mod
  • If it moves, I'll squeeze it....
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2020, 12:15:47 PM »

Mine has been flying up for years!

I can’t use it much due to an argument with the rear door of a Jowett Javelin car when I was 4......
It hasn’t affected my playing though.
Still squeezing after all these years.
Mostly on hohners , with a couple of Dinos and a smattering of anglos - and now a Jeffries duet

Rob Lands

• Regular debater
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2020, 03:53:45 PM »

Is there any connection to learning the piano or an instrument where that little finger has to be used?  I find I use the fourth finger a lot. 
In fact I have wondered if I use it too much in some tunes. 
Mine had an argument with a car that was on the wrong side of the road, I was on a Mbike at the time.  However the little finger, although broken, fared better than a few of my other bones.  Fortunately it was a very long time ago.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal