Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Variations for a beginner  (Read 4789 times)

JM

Re: Variations for a beginner
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2016, 12:42:19 PM »

Thanks so much Playandteach!  Those files are going to be very helpful.

JM

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2016, 08:03:17 PM »

Here's another Delicq tune. La Princesse Blanche. He has two different sections which use different chord sequences, but he has written a couple of countermelodies that work over the chord sequences (either as variations or possibly to play simultaneously).
As far as I know the versions I've written down are by Delicq himself.
But as an effort to extend the options I've written a further couple of 16 bar countermelodies (or call them variations) at the end.
So sections A-E are Delicq, F and G are mine over his first chord sequence.
Hope they are of some use.
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

Natalie

« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2019, 07:31:08 PM »

How can I learn to make own variations of tunes? :) Are there any tips / tutorials / books?

For example resources / tips like these bellow

Here's a video displaying multiple variations on the same tune, if you haven't seen it.  Some are easier than others, and it isn't written, but definitely shows a nice of example of the same tune being played many different ways.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BKrwe9J5y1g

Thanks - great example of the "flexible" approach

variation
1 - change octave
2 - counterpoint against  play arpeggios of its chords
       then more chording (sus) and rhythm change
3 arpeggio the tunes chords on the right end
    some nice chunks of "down the scale" in both 2 & 3
4 - rhythm change into 6/8 playing in straight chords
       cooling to an nice Am9 (index finger => B) at the end
5   improvised! Don't think he's done that way before
      But note - essentially a mix of the above?
6 - the rhythmic tricks are the same, switches to blues scale!
     chromatic run 2nd time. Rhythm is more important than notes

Superb. His left end chording doesn't change, and there are further oppotunities there? Great stuff, could you "really" write it down? Practice (as he clearly has) swapping these techniques (and they are techniques) flexibly and you've already got 100 "variations" Trust your ears …

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2019, 08:16:16 PM »

How can I learn to make own variations of tunes? :) Are there any tips / tutorials / books?
Variations of a tune are really a type of music composition. It's whatever comes into your head, pehaps by humming, singing, or just noodling around with the tune, trying out different things, altering a note or two here and there, changing an arpeggio passage into a scale, or whatever seems to sound right to you.

You could as well ask 'how can I learn to write poetry?' or 'how can I learn to paint a picture?'. It has to come from within you; no books or tutorials are going to help you with your own imagination.

To quote (loosely) the great Norfolk melodeon player Tony Hall: when asked how he worked out his amazing right-hand harmonies and countermelodies, he replied 'I just pokes about a bit - if it sounds OK, I use it'. 

So - just try poking about a bit and see where it leads you.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Jesse Smith

• Buffalo, NY, USA
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2019, 03:19:42 AM »

Variations of a tune are really a type of music composition. It's whatever comes into your head, pehaps by humming, singing, or just noodling around with the tune, trying out different things, altering a note or two here and there, changing an arpeggio passage into a scale, or whatever seems to sound right to you.

You could as well ask 'how can I learn to write poetry?' or 'how can I learn to paint a picture?'. It has to come from within you; no books or tutorials are going to help you with your own imagination.

To quote (loosely) the great Norfolk melodeon player Tony Hall: when asked how he worked out his amazing right-hand harmonies and countermelodies, he replied 'I just pokes about a bit - if it sounds OK, I use it'. 

So - just try poking about a bit and see where it leads you.

I think this touches on the perpetual question of how much of a performance is improvised and how much is worked out in advance. I'm certainly never sure. When we hear some rock guitarist play a wild guitar solo or listen to John Coltrane or Dexter Gordon take off on some improvisational saxophone voyage far away from the tune they started with, are they actually improvising "in the moment" or are they playing things they have sat down and experimented with for weeks? Maybe a bit of both. The more you practice in advance, the larger a "bag of tricks" you have at your disposal to pick and choose from as you are playing.

I think often in musical performance there is strong motivation to create the illusion that everything is completely spontaneous and being played "from the heart". The reality may often be quite different.
Hohner Pokerwork D/G (x2!), Hohner one row four stops in D and C, Hohner Presswood C/F.

baz parkes

• All Blacked Up
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2019, 11:45:45 AM »

I regularly play variations.

People have been known to call them mistakes...
On the edge of Cheshire's Golden Triangle, apparently...

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2019, 12:15:31 PM »

I regularly play variations.

People have been known to call them mistakes...

and you can, of course, create them on the fly.
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal